The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

8 HP kicker on 22’ Cruiser - What’s your set-up?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SunnyandMild

City/Region: La Conner
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Figgy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:06 pm    Post subject: 8 HP kicker on 22’ Cruiser - What’s your set-up? Reply with quote

I am considering a Honda or Tohatsu 8HP kicker on my 22’ Cruiser for trolling and auxiliary engine. I’d like to know what you all use for your kickers? Are you happy with your set-up? Electric or manual start? Power trim and tilt? Or keep it simple. How often do actually use your kicker? Thanks!

SunnyandMild

1963 17’ Dorsett Catalina #2
1963 14’ Reinell Runabout
1964 17’ Dorsett Catalina
1982 32’ Bayliner Explorer 3270
1994 17’ Arima Sea Chaser
1962 14’ Sea King
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To go with a twin cylinder 8 hp motor on your 22 Cruise would be perfect. Our 9.9 Suzuki is bolted on the transom like the main. It is a pull start and with a tiller. I like this set-up and it has a tie rod that I connect to the main if I want to run only with it and steer in the cabin at the helm. At first, I thought I would use it to troll for Salmon and fish with it but found it easier to just use the main even on a full day of fishing. Found that for me it really is just an emergency motor to use if my main ever becomes inoperable. So far the main has run flawlessly.
Danjenni

City/Region: Tenino
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: C-Ker
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just finally managed to arrange weather, time and opportunity to take out our brand new 2021 9.9 Yamaha High Thrust kicker and run it enough to call it broke in. It is an electric start power lift model that we replaced a very dependable 9.9 Yamaha that was totally adequate. We probably didn’t really need to replace our kicker but there are a couple of advantages with the new motor that we use all the time for trolling for salmon. They are in order of importance in my opinion, electric start is awesome, that comes with battery charging while trolling, power tilt is well worth the 5 extra pounds, and the fact that it pushes our 22 Cruiser at almost 6 knots according to to GPS. (About a 1.5 knot improvement over old kicker.) The High Thrust engine seems to cause less harmonic vibrations in the cabin while trolling and that is an added bonus. We have it mounted on the old kicker bracket and it nicely complements the new 115 Yamaha repower we put on earlier last year. With the 115 we are enjoying a faster ride when wanted, quieter when poking along and plenty of reserve horse power for what we might need. The cost was so close to other brands and the name recognition for possible resale made it all a great deal as the trade ins were great.
In answer to your question I would definitely go with a higher horse power and have plenty of power to buck the tides while trolling. I know, but it seems like I am always going the wrong way. Happy Cuising!

Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I see that you too, have had the boat bug for awhile.
That's a good thing, of course.
I have a Suzuki 9.9 with both electric and pull start.
Can use to troll or get home.

Also had a Tohatsu 9.9 with both from above on another boat.

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
drbridge

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a Honda 8 hp on our 22 . I love the electric start. It is mounted directly to the transom and has a removable tie bar that hooks to main motor. The tie bar is the only way to go. It allows you to steer from the cabin. If you need it for emergency motor, you will not want to be steering with a tiller. We also have a protroll that is used for throttle control from helm. This works great for trolling too. If I were to buy a new one I would go with the 9.9hp. It is the same motor with different carb and exhaust, so it weighs the same as 8hp.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 6hp Tohatsu kicker on Midnight Flyer. No bells and whistles. (No tilt and trim, no electric starter, etc.) Ran great and pushed the boat up to 5mph. And much lighter in weight than a 9hp. Single cylinder, 4 stroke. You can see photos in the kicker install embedded album in Midnight Flyer's photo album. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: