Air Fryer Pizza

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Air Fryer Pizza Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/SaqvRz3vuCA

1. Old El Paso Tortillas in appropriate size. I'm using a Cuisinart TOA-60 that takes up to 14" (Large) These do make a difference, the higher fat content makes them air fry crisp when just browned.
2. Air fry in your basket - middle rack - 425º -Air Fry - 6 minutes until just barely browned
3. Flip over into your foil lined oven pan (for the unit) so the bottom of the tortilla is now the top
4. Assemble your pizza
5. Slide in middle position of oven - 425º - Bake - 6 minutes (browned) or more (to death)

What we're having for one of our appetizers for pre-Christmas. EZ - quick, the kids love the stuff. Safe boating and have a very Merry Christmas from Connie and me.

flagold

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:04 pm    Post subject: Crispy Fried Fish Reply with quote

In case you’ve forgotten what an old fishing cabin fish fry was like:

First you need to catch some fresh fish in this case 8 speckled perch (crappie) similar consistency to flounder, perch, any other flakey white meat fishes are also suitable and will crisp just fine.

Once filleted or bought, you get a mix ready: 1 cup cornbread mix (flour & cornmeal) + 2 tablespoons corn starch (makes them very crisp) salt & pepper the fish or if using the cornbread mix for hushpuppies as we do: salt/pepper the mix put fillets in the mix and make sure they’re dusted (no egg or anything else needed on the fillets). Cornstarch will do the work of sealing the meat & crisping.

Oil: we use grape seed oil. Light & leaves no aftertaste at all. We want just the fish & coating.

Put enough oil in a pan to at least cover 1/2 width of fillets - set to fry at 400º when the fillets go from clear to white 1/2 the width - flip and brown them on the other side.

When the last of your fillets are browned, mix up a quick hushpuppy batter: hushpuppies - take the leftover cornbread mix you’ve dusted the fish with, add an egg + 1/4 cup chopped onions and milk (or a mix of milk/beer) to make a thick batter that will form balls. Drop these into the grease - same temperature and brown.

Add any extras you want - we have to have coleslaw at the minimum: For the coleslaw: shred 2 cups cabbage (and 1/4 cup carrots if you want color):
add 3 tablespoons mayonnaise or enough to cover if making more coleslaw
1/2 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon pepper 1 teaspoon sugar + 2 tablespoons watermelon rind pickle juice for the kick (or 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish juice if you can’t find rind pickle) - taste till you get it right.

How grape seed oil cooks - coating is crisp, fish is cooked without saturation - just dust it and fry for a thin crisp coating. Use a wire rack instead of laying the fillets on paper towels and the fish will be extra crispy.

I'm one of the luckiest on earth - should have been dead at 26 in a Thrush (airplane) crash nobody thought I'd survive and now get to do this everyday if I want to. Pretty fortunate.

Happy eating - from a 60+ year old cabin on Lake Eufaula!

Short video on the process for the direction impaired: https://youtu.be/CKuzAHj4EOI
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flagold, man you are making me drool all over my computer. And I just ate supper, now I'm hungry again all over.

Hummmmm Rolling Eyes Smile

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

flagold

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh - you must have watched the video! Mrs. Mattson is very good with having that effect on people. Especially me.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flagold wrote:
Ahh - you must have watched the video! Mrs. Mattson is very good with having that effect on people. Especially me.

Well, that and my favorite food is fish and chips. I will have to put your place on my list of worlds best.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

flagold

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
flagold wrote:

Well, that and my favorite food is fish and chips. I will have to put your place on my list of worlds best.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

That is funny. Connie managed a couple of fried chicken joints and had to go to school on the frying process so she's got the method down - anyway, when friends would ask "where's the best seafood restaurant in town" we'd say: our place - come on over . . . Now we're on a reservoir with the type fish we both grew up with: speckled perch (crappie), bass & shell crackers and life couldn't be better. Pretty fortunate.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Matt. What a great easy make/bake idea using Old El Paso Tortillas as pizza crust. Also, I am direction impaired and so the videos really help. Will try your fish fry with rock cod and let you know. Smile
flagold

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DayBreak wrote:
Thank you Matt. What a great easy make/bake idea using Old El Paso Tortillas as pizza crust. Also, I am direction impaired and so the videos really help. Will try your fish fry with rock cod and let you know. Smile

You're welcome. The pizza is simply a super quick way to get to Roman style pizza on the lunch hour. We've cut them into mini slices and used for appetizers as well - a unique presentation.

Connie's fish - you're going to like that - been a hit everywhere for years.

Happy eating!
Tug

City/Region: Sault Ste. Marie
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Drifter
Photos: Drifter
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am drooling also , I will have to try them all. Thanks.
flagold

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tug wrote:
I am drooling also , I will have to try them all. Thanks.

You're very welcome. Hope you have many happy meals with friends and family from that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: