View previous topic :: View next topic  
zuunami

City/Region: Fort Bragg
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Oh Buoy!
Photos: zuunami
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:02 am    Post subject: most comfortable pfd Reply with quote

Getting ready to buy new pfd's - anyone have opinions on which brands are the most comfortable. I have quite a "thing" about "things' rubbing around my neck. Looking for manual/auto, but not necessarily hydrostatic. Was looking at this Onyx brand (I know Mustang is one of the most popular). https://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Manual-Inflatable-Jacket-Green/dp/B0761XCD9S/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=AphnF&pf_rd_p=29505bbf-38bd-47ef-8224-a5dd0cda2bae&pf_rd_r=F16SNDWVB8HGZ74FP8CX&pd_rd_r=a4009eb0-7e0d-430f-b7ef-55e74204c77a&pd_rd_wg=CTQnE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m
Safetythird

City/Region: Hopkinton
State or Province: MA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wearing a Mustang inflatable for the last few years and it's been very nice.

They have an expiration date, so I'm due to recharge this one.

I should try it out and see how it works.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tried a few over the last 14 years, but our onyx units are by far the most comfy around the neck. I can actually stand to wear them without a collar, or my shirt pulled up. We like this model which has room for compact VHF, or phone, plus flares and smoke in the other pocket. https://www.onyxoutdoor.com/a-3-m-24-deluxe-automatic-3-manual-inflatable-life-x132100--100--004--20

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By far the most comfortable, unobtrusive, and most worn is my belt inflatable. It doesn't meet Coast Guard requirements, but it works very well (I've tested it) in floating you if you fall overboard. I also wear it when crossing streams fly-fishing. You still have to carry other CG certified life jackets on your boat, but this one is easy to wear, and if conditions get rough, I put on my West Marine offshore inflatable vest.
Safetythird

City/Region: Hopkinton
State or Province: MA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I ever decided I *needed* to be wearing my life jacket.....it was too late to put it on. YMMV.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 Mustang hydrostatic and 2 of the "dissolvable pill" type. I have recharged all of mine several times. Yes, put them on and then pull the cord. Learn how it inflates ( be ready for the - - POP, after you pull the cord. It is worth the experience, however, it is also not cheap, $50-ish plus, so . . .
Enjoy the moment.

I wear T-Shirts almost all the time and have never had a problem with rubbing my neck, or any kind of irritation. I like the onyx with the pockets but it seems like they might get in the way at times. I do keep my PLB attached to the strap on my PFD and wear it all the time on the boat.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

zuunami

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone, ordered up an onyx, we'll see how it is. Without the pockets, to me it seems they would get in the way, I'll probably wear a fanny pack sort of thing down lower to hold miscellaneous Smile
Roamad

City/Region: Isleton
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Photos: Roamad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a Mustang Khimera and love it so far. Bit different concept. Slim foam flotation with a pull cord for additional inflation. The latter is not automatic — you gotta pull the cord. Also has a manual nozzle to inflate with your breath as a backup feature. Light, slim & comfortable. I only wish it had more pockets.
zuunami

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roamad, weren't you the couple that got your 16' through a "note on the boat"? We did the same thing several months ago, worked out great. I used to live in Sac... Smile Thanks for the pdf info! - Karen
Roamad

City/Region: Isleton
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Photos: Roamad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zuunami wrote:
roamad, weren't you the couple that got your 16' through a "note on the boat"? We did the same thing several months ago, worked out great. I used to live in Sac... Smile Thanks for the pdf info! - Karen

Karen: Yes, that was us! Glad that trick worked for you, too. Is yours a 16 also?
zuunami

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, cruiser tho. Hope your's is working out!
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought an Onyx with pockets for my wife (now fitted with a space blanket and a whistle). She's now worn it a few times with no issues. I've tried it and will probably get one for myself. I also bought her a MOB1 that attaches inside the PFD and automatically send DSC and AIS signals to my MFD (on my big boat). Might be overkill for a 16 C-Dory as I'm not likely to miss somebody going overboard on it. Also, the MOB is programmed to send a DSC to a specific MMSI and it is set for the big boat. Thus, it would not give a proper alert if used on the C-Dory.

Two things that have been brought to my attention while doing research. The first is availability of "tether lines" deployed when the PFD inflates. They vary from simple lines to Dyneema lifting lines (which requires lifting capability on the jacket itself). Lifting somebody using an attachment on their PFD raises the issue of crotch straps to prevent the person from slipping out of the PFD completely when trying to remove them from the water.

Most of the reported incidents are failures during hardcore ocean sailboat racing. Still, it seems that there could be lessons learned and applied to slightly less treacherous situations. Five or ten feet of floating yellow polypro line that pops out when the PFD inflates would give a larger target for the boat hook, especially if the MOB was non-responsive. It also could provide an immediate way to secure the MOB to the boat while other measures were taken to get the person aboard. Seems like a simple modification to stash a tether line inside the PFD.

The second issue is the crotch strap. Everybody says that they are uncomfortable when aboard (and uncomfortable in the water, but who cares then; bigger things to worry about). Here's my proposed solution. 99.9 percent of the time I'm going to be wearing a PFD I'm also going to be wearing pants. And a belt (even my exposure suit has a belt). It would be simple to make a strap and clip on the bottom of the PFD that runs through the belt. It probably couldn't handle a lifting situation, but it would keep the PFD from riding up to your ears and being ineffectual.

I saw a video on Youtube where a guy jumps in a pool and the PFD pops open and right off of his head. A simple connection to a belt or even a belt loop would stop that. Would it be comfortable? Assuming your pants are comfortable, the attachment shouldn't be a problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
... Would it be comfortable? Assuming your pants are comfortable, the attachment shouldn't be a problem.

Are your pants comfortable with a significant upward force on them (at least 22lbs.)? Remember wedgies?

Yes, if the situation demands it, you'll have bigger things to worry about, but you probably won't be comfortable (for a bunch of reasons).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: