The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

03/08 - 03/10 - Hontoon Island CBGT DeLand Florida
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Walton

City/Region: Lilburn
State or Province: GA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Morning Light
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Y'all,

I've just completed the Jot Form for the C-Brats 2022 Hontoon Island Gathering. We have reservations for slip 2A for ten days. In addition to meeting fellow C-Brats at Hontoon Island, we plan to visit some friends and relatives in the area (using HI as our temporary home port).

Admiral Joyce and I are excited about attending the Gathering, and putting faces to some of the folks who made our search for a small cruiser much easier. We've had a few trailer-sailers over the years that we sailed around the SE coasts and lakes. A few years back, we noticed that the masts kept getting heavier as we raised and lowered them. We decided to eliminate the mast on our next boat, but we wanted one we could camp and cruise on for days (or weeks). The C-Dory 22 Cruiser is a perfect fit.

Thanks to all of you who take the time make this site the treasure it is. All who post their experiences, solutions, comments, comparisons, insight, discoveries, help, encouragement, and ... even the occasional, "you really ought to think that over again" ... have created a wonderful virtual "club house" for C-Dorys!

Walton
C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Morning Light
JdaleH

City/Region: Elberta
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: See-Ya
Photos: Wee Bit
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:42 pm    Post subject: Covid Vaccination Status Reply with quote

We are interested in returning to Hontoon, but are concerned about vaccination status of above attendees. Please let us know if you are or are not vaccinated so we can evaluate the risk involved for us. I know vaccination status is a tough issue, but we have medical issues that make us want to be careful. If you have issues with this request, I apologise in advance.

Thanks, Dale
See-Ya --C-Dory 25

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are also concerned about the health issues, since both my wife and I are at risk. I also co-ordinated with Tom and Joyce who "run the show". We felt that risks were minimal.

If you note the plans this year: no common dining, the talks and the silent auction are set up in a way that there is minimal exposure, and are all out of doors.

I doubt that everyone will tell you if they are or are not vaccinated--although both of us have basic 2 plus 3rd full dose.

I feel that your risks are minimal Your choice come or no come--the more the better.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Rosanne and I are tripled vaccinated. She's a NICU nurse, so of course we are just that much more careful. We mask up anywhere we go inside, (or outside if around many others), and avoid crowds. So far, thankfully, we've dodged the virus! Our plans at this time are to come this year. Last year we decided early to skip the gathering, and instead did the St. John's and ICW up to Cumerland Island National Seashore. We'll continue watching what is happening with Covid, and remain flexible. If we feel too many at the gathering aren't taking the virus seriously, we'll just add more days to our cruising plans. Wink
After saying all that, I'd also offer that the vaccination won't prevent one from getting Covid. (And I'm pro-vaccination.) I believe the medical grade masks are more important when mingling with others. Perhaps Bob can chime in here if he feels I'm off base. Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My medical opinion is that the vaccine does not prevent infection. People who are vaccinated are more likely to have a mild infection and not end up in the ICW or dead. My grandkids are been triple vaccinated but both have had 2X COVID 19 infections documented. Probably the second was the Omicron variant.

I have N95 grade masks which we will be happy to supply for any who want one. We do mask when indoor in close proximity. Restaurants,, we make individual decision--try and eat outside. Our experience on the St. John's river before and after the gathering when we eat in restaurants the C Brat group was able to eat in a separate room from the general dining population.

I do feel that a high quality mask--not a bandana--is very important.
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year’s gathering was a great success. Yes....we had a smaller group than other years but that was to be expected. Everyday we take risks. What we do is try to operate as safe as possible. As far as I know, no one that attended last year contacted COVID-19 at the gathering. I trust that will be the case this year also.
As Dr. Bob pointed out we have changed things to mitigate risk. Let’s use common sense. Give everyone space, wash your hands, if you’re not feeling well stay home. Get a COVID test if you feel like you could have it. We are looking forward to seeing all our old and new friends at the gathering.

We will follow State of Florida guidelines.

All good comments....Thanks

I think we now have this covered so on with the gathering.

BTW....This year I will not be leading any groups after the gathering. I have to leave on Friday. So.....if anyone else wants to lead a few others .....

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
Kathryn

City/Region: Hampden-Sydney/Farmville,VA
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Kathryn
Photos: Kathryn
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Vaccination Reply with quote

Glad to report on vaccine status.
Bob and I are due for booster #2 on April 1 (jab#4). It’s on the calendar!

We mask to go inside stores, etc., even when we are the only ones wearing masks. There is one restaurant at home where we occasionally eat inside, but only on off hours and they know to seat us away from others. Otherwise we look for outside dining or take-out. I’ll have quick COVID tests along with me, ready to use if warranted.

Hope to meet/see you, but certainly understand if you choose to wait for another year.
Jackie & Bob

PS—Hollerbach in Sanford has great outside seating. So does Santorini in DeLand.

JdaleH

City/Region: Elberta
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: See-Ya
Photos: Wee Bit
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:48 pm    Post subject: Hontoon Isl. Reply with quote

After much consideration, we have decided not to attend the gathering this year. While we are both vaccinated and boosted, we are concerned about the possibility of infection from the normal traffic of visitors to the island during the gathering. We do plan to cruise the St. Johns beginning on about the 17th of Feb. and will be dropping off goodies for the auction. We hope to see many of you on the river as we cruise. We plan to be on the river until the end of March or longer. See Ya on the river.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dale & Carol, hopefully we'll see you on the River somewhere. We'll be launching Sunday afternoon, just before the gathering, and then heading north for a day. I have a birdhouse geocache I hope to place on Blue Creek somewhere, and plan to do that on Monday, then head down to Hontoon. We have reservations in slip 9A Monday thru Thursday night. Then we'll be out on the River cruising -somewhere- no specific plans, until we load out on Sunday, March 20th. Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure wish I was going to be spending a month on that river. You all have a great time, and hope to see you there next trip around the sun.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Steven T Wardwell

City/Region: Ft pierce
C-Dory Year: 2022
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sienna Belle
Photos: Sienna Belle
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject: For the record Reply with quote

We are retired and triple vaxed and masked have been really super careful. It’s great we’re all here! And don’t forget to get your shingles shots too!
See everyone soon!

MV knight hawk 1979 33’ Carver Mariner
MV the Beast 1972 28’ Carver Mariner
MV French Kiss 1985 21’ Bayliner Capris
Steven T Wardwell

City/Region: Ft pierce
C-Dory Year: 2022
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sienna Belle
Photos: Sienna Belle
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:12 pm    Post subject: For the record Reply with quote

We are retired and triple vaxed and masked have been really super careful. It’s great we’re all here! And don’t forget to get your shingles shots too!
See everyone soon!
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5" of snow Thursday night thru Friday morning, and in the lower 30's for a day time high today and tomorrow. Two more days and counting before we start the haul south. You betcha I'm excited and ready. Started the Webasto and a little electric heater a few days ago and I have been getting C-Traveler set back up for cruising! She's ready for some liquid water as well! We'll be launching Sunday afternoon and heading up to Blue Creek to place a geocache, before pulling into our Hontoon Slip 9A Monday later in the day.
Tom or Bill, hows the Hontoon Loop looking? I'll plan to lead a tour around that loop one of the days from 10:30a - 1:30p.
See you all in another week + 2 days. Colby

Prop Birdhouse Geocache
Water Bill

City/Region: Lake Keowee, SC
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: Mystery Girl (Ranger Tug R-23)
Photos: Mystery Girl and C-Swell
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Colby,
I did the Hontoon Loop the first week of February and had no problems. It was as beautiful as ever. To cool that day to see any alligators though. I will arrive back at Hontoon on Thursday to do a few more days of volunteering during the gathering.

Boston Whaler Super Sport 17 1986 to 2007
Kathryn

City/Region: Hampden-Sydney/Farmville,VA
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Kathryn
Photos: Kathryn
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In January the Hontoon loop was wonderful! We enjoyed it daily. Two runs to Sanford. Lots of manatees and alligators.

Currently we are in Maine (10 inches of snow on Friday)! Lovely X-country skiing. Helping with our grandchildren while our son is in your state--he's XC skiing the Birkiebeiner race. Covid keeps the Birkie from being a family event this year.
Kathryn waits in DeLand for us to return to Florida.

See all of you soon!

Jackie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: