The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Upgrading from Raymarine C Series to Axium ???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drbridge

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes , thanks Peter and Judy from us also. That was very informative and answered many questions for me. We will either have to stick with what we have or get both the Raydome and Plotter at the same time. That plotter looks really nice though. I might have to shake out my piggy bank.
hardee

C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Thank you from SleepyC too. That was helpful, as are the other ones I found near that one on the Axium plotter and the sounder. Been there half the night already. Great help.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those that are using the AXIUM I am wondering what you are using for the sounder system, as in which transducer and what bottom views are you using (most)? And are you using any source for water speed? If so, where are you getting that from?

Thinking about keeping my P66 transducer and running that beside the RV-100.

Responses from no Raymarine users are OK too.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the RV-100 transducer and exclusively use the RealVision 3D High Frequency Chirp to locate fish and baitfish. We use Waggoners Table (formerly know as Washburn's Tables) to give an indication of current.
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just working out the details of my Raymarine System order with the dealer. Getting all the parts in this time of shortages and delays may be the biggest challenge. I will be ordering the Axiom+ 12" with the Real Vison Sonar and the RV-100 transducer. I will also keep my small Garmin on the boat as a backup. I bought this a couple of years ago as a backup to my old Raymarine C80 as it was not always giving an accurate reading. I have since discovered that part of the reason for this is the abundance of fresh water in the inside passage that will mess with both depth sounders. I felt that I had a backup for everything else, GPS, VHF, paper charts compass, but not the depth sounder.

For anyone interested, I should have a Raymarine C80 system with Radar, fish finder and Autopilot for sale this spring.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter and Judy, Are you getting depth reading on your small Garmin now? And If so, what is your source for that? Are you using a separate transducer for that?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Peter & Judy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you getting depth reading on your small Garmin now? And If so, what is your source for that? Are you using a separate transducer for that?

Yes we are getting a depth reading. This is the main reason I bought it. In 2019 we set out on first cruises off Vancouver Island and sometimes found that the Raymarine depth sounder was not giving me a reading or giving me something that based on the charts was completely wrong. Now if I'm in 500 feet of water I don't really care, but if I'm in 10 feet of water, I really want to know how deep I am. So between cruises I bought this unit for less than $200 and it came with it's own transducer which I installed next to the one for the Raymarine. I like it as it has a fish finder (it can find the fish, but I still have trouble catching them) and a few other features that have been useful like an anchor drag alarm.

As I mentioned before, off the east coast of Vancouver Island, especially when you get to the big inlets going into the BC mainland there is a lot of cold glacier fresh water flowing in that I am told really can play havoc with the depth sounder. I have noticed that often when I am in deep water, both sounders will tell me that I am in very shallow water. Sometimes the reading is very similar, but other times there is a big difference between the two units. In shallow water like an anchorage, I rarely have problems seeing the bottom and getting the right depth to drop the hook in.

One of the reasons that I am buying the Axiom+ is the Real Vision depth Sounder so that I can see the bottom better in anchorages. A lot of the anchorages off the BC coast had logging operations in the past and the bottoms may be fouled with old cables, docks and other junk. I really like my anchor and don't want to loose it. So I hope it will give me a better view of the bottom before I drop the hook.
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"As I mentioned before, off the east coast of Vancouver Island, especially when you get to the big inlets going into the BC mainland there is a lot of cold glacier fresh water flowing in that I am told really can play havoc with the depth sounder. I have noticed that often when I am in deep water, both sounders will tell me that I am in very shallow water."

Ahh yes, I remember being up in Knight Inlet, first time I was real sure of what was going on when I saw 800+ feet on the chart and the sonar is showing me a bottom line at 12 feet. I was far up into the inlet and it was definitely the milky glacier water. Turns out that is showing a layer depth of the fresh water, colder, and less dense than the salt water and the sounder is seeing that thermal layer.

It sounds like your reasons and mine for going with the update/upgrade are very similar. Do you know what frequencies your Garmin transducer is working on. I have read that if you have multiple transducers, and they are on the same frequencies, that can cause interference and may give erroneous readings, or even no reading.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
bottoms may be fouled with old cables, docks and other junk.
. That is a very valid consideration--and not only for BC and AK. There are all sorts of bottom junk in many harbors. (I have an extensive list of items I have snagged with anchors thru the years).

It will be interesting to see how well the Real Vision shows those objects. I am considering putting one of the Axiom plus units on my 18' Caracal Cat.

If an object protrudes into the water column it will be seen with down scan and side scan--so should be easily ID with the "Real Vision". We have been using down scan technology for a number of years to avoid trees, and other underwater items which would foul an anchor.. What I am not so sure about is cable and chain which is in or under the superficial layer of mud or sand on the bottom--that may not show up.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I have a spot I am going back to for sure, just to see if that big tuna tower type of metal harassment I hauled up and spent an hour unwinding from is still there and visible. It was perfect anchorage, with a spectacular view and 300 degrees of protection. YUP, I want to see if it is safe to anchor there again.

OH, The North Border will have to be open though.

Anxious to be able to see my anchor plainly.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Peter & Judy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you know what frequencies your Garmin transducer is working on

I have the Garmin Striker 4 as my secondary sounder. It works on Chirp 77/200 KHz.
krc

City/Region: SF Bay Area
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Photos: krc
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject: axiom+ 9 install Reply with quote

Well - I did install the axiom+9 RV last weekend. Went fine. Bright screen, touch seems good with pinch mode supported as well. Hooked my P58 transducer with a converter cable and seems better than what I had with the old e7D. I do have the Rv-100 as well but I keep my boat in the water so can't really install until I have a reason to pull the boat again. So will be waiting for that...

I think there are limits with this axiom+ vs the PRO model in terms of multiple transducers.

Nice: was able to update the axiom over the marine wifi. About a 1G download - so took a bit of time but not too bad. Also installed ray control on my ipad, and I can switch to the wifi of the MFD and control from my ipad. Nice. But then I am switching from Radar to MFD, etc...

Using lighthouse charts. Not sure on these yet...

Still need to play with the unit to customize the screen data to what I want, but the raymarine youtube vids are good - though I usually just like short cheat sheets.

I am running my radar to an ipad2 - so really need to figure out a good ipad2 mount.

So far, so good.
Peter & Judy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered my Raymarine Axiom+ system yesterday and plan to install it this spring once I have 100% of the parts. There are some supply chain issues that hopefully will not cause problems. I don't want to pull my old system, also it's too cold to do so here in Alberta now, until I know that everything is here to replace it with.

I did make a decision to go from a 12" screen to a 9" and a 7" dual screen system at the last moment. There is a real shortage of 12" Axiom+ units now and they have been backordered for months with no real firm date for them to arrive. My dealer, Binnacle Marine, in Halifax, Nova Scotia, just got a big shipment of 7" and 9" plotters with most being spoken for already. The bonus going to the dual screen system is that it will be about C$800 cheaper than going with the 12". I am now going to set up the system with the 9" screen being mostly dedicated to above water, chart plotter and radar, and the 7" screen being for sonar. I will be able to switch between these as the need arises. I will be installing theReal vision RV-100 transducer.

I am doing a complete system upgrade and a I am installing a Quantum 2 with Doppler Radar, wired into the plotter. I am also replacing the Auto Pilot EV-150 control system. Finally I am adding a B&G ZG-100 GPS antenna.

I plan on keeping my boat for at least 10 more years and I would hate to have the old 2005 Raymarine C80 system fail me when I am somewhere remote like Haida Gwaii or Alaska. We decided to bite the bullet now and have a safe and enjoyable system instead of keeping money for our inheritance to children we do not have.
Peter & Judy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am running my radar to an ipad2 - so really need to figure out a good ipad2 mount.

I use a Ram Mount for the iPad, which I attach with the Ram suction cup to the centre dash board. It works very well, but put a safety line onto the mount as I have had if fall off once or twice in rough seas.
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRC said.
Quote:
" . . . I do have the Rv-100 as well but I keep my boat in the water so can't really install until I have a reason to pull the boat again. So will be waiting for that..."

Are you planning on running both transducers eventually?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: