The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

05/12 - 05/14 - Friday Harbor C-Brats Get-Together
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DayBreak wrote:
2022 Friday Harbor Signup Now Available!

• Vessel Name & Length
  • Captain / Co-Captain Name(s)
  • Additional Passenger Name(s)
  • Arrival Date
  • Departure Date
  • Safety Inspection Requested

We look forward to seeing everyone May 12-14 in Friday Harbor!

Good initial signups for our May gathering with four of them being Tomcats!

If you plan to attend, but have not yet done so, please PM Gary & Colleen (DayBreak) with the information requested above.

Submitting our group information to the Port of Friday Harbor as a whole allows them to reserve consecutive slips and hopefully a discount moorage rate. It also fosters a great relationship between the Port and C-Brats as they look forward to our gathering each year.

If you aren't sure of your dates yet, take a best guess. You can always PM updates to us as your plans solidify. If you are not sure of your crew, take a best guess. The crew information is more for the C-Brats as it helps us all know who is at the gathering and associate people and boats. (If you are uncomfortable giving out names, we understand.)

We highly recommend the free Coast Guard Auxiliary Safety Inspection. We prepare a list for the CGA of boats and slips (once you've arrived) to help them locate those requesting the inspection.

Look forward to seeing you all,
Gary & Colleen

croakz

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Jolly Blue
Photos: Jolly Blue
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm a newer boater, coming up Des Moines, WA with my wife and young daughter. I've looked through some old threads, but what route would be the easiest (safest)? East side of Whidbey and then through Deception Pass at slack tide? Thanks!

- tom
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

Yes, that route is probably the most protected. However, it is a long trip on the water from Des Moines. I would suggest towing up to either Cornet Bay State Park, which is inside of Deception Pass or to Anacortes. You can launch at Washington Park in Anacortes or pay more and sling your boat in at Cap Sante Marina in town. From these locations it is much easier to get to Friday Harbor in a timely fashion.

There is really no need to time your transit through Deception Pass with slack current. Once you're up on plane, it is easy to go through. If it's your first time, just be careful. I have gone through ranging from a 16 foot runabout, 22 and 25 C-Dories and our current 27 Ranger Tug.

If this is your first trip in the area, often times, you can buddy boat with another C-Brat.

Good luck and Welcome.

Patrick

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
DayBreak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

croakz wrote:
Hi,

I'm a newer boater, coming up Des Moines, WA with my wife and young daughter. I've looked through some old threads, but what route would be the easiest (safest)? East side of Whidbey and then through Deception Pass at slack tide? Thanks!

- tom

Tom,

The outside of Whidbey Island can get rough. You could boat up to Hope Island State Park, spend the night on a buoy or stay on the public dock next to the Cornet Bay boat launch to pass through Deception Pass the following morning.

As we get closer to the event, post here again your planned time to depart and I am sure another boater will join you. Gary.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to Deception Pass, (and I 'm sure Patrick has been through it many more times than I have) so for me, being careful is to be sure and take the whirlpools on the side that rotates the same direction you are going. They can get big, and hitting that swirl on the wrong side is like slamming into a wall, depending on how close you are to it --> which you really don't want to be close enough to see 6 feet down into that hole. Shocked

There can be some steps too, (Overfalls) that are easier to see if you are going upstream. I try to avoid those going up, or take the small ones (6 inch or less) but coming down stream they are harder to see, and you can take larger ones, which I would do taking straight on.

You do want to go through there on plane. Momentum is your friend.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May is still a few months off, but Rosanne and I are trying to build our summer schedule around her vacation slots. As of now, it looks like we will back out of the Friday Harbor gathering. We are looking at coming out in June (and going east in May). My Wife's vacation time limits how much time we can spend when we come out, and as much as I'd like to spend time at the FH gathering, I've also got a brother in the area I want to visit, and the rest of the time looking to cruise around the Islands. If things change, FH is still on my calendar. Colby
DayBreak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Colby,

So sorry to read that you and Rosanne will not be able to attend this years gathering at FH. Your presence will be missed. You have a very busy schedule planned and we understand. When Rosanne retires, it gets easier. Speaking from experience. Smile
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well traveling up from the south sound you could go to ways , 2 and a half really, and the best was just depends. I like the idea of traveling on the water the whole way but would make a 2 day trip out of it depending on the weather. I like to run the boat and if its smooth a 10 hour day is enjoyable. Stop some where for lunch or just looking around. But lets look at your choices . From Des Moines to Fh is 80 NM . So at 18 knots ( smooth water) its a 4 1/2 hour ride non stop. If you can only average 10 knots its a 8 hour run. Either one is a day trip. Going the other way on the inside and thru the pass is 93 NM and 9.25 hours at 10 knots . Now if you cut thru La conner to avoid the Deception pass, its 97 miles and 9.45 hours at 10 knots or 5 1/2 at 18 knots.

MYTH Busters " is the " inside " safer or smoother"? It depends. Some of the roughest rides we have ever had have been the inside of Whidbey island and just out side of deception pass. It has, at other times, been flat. Its all just matter of wind and currents. Same goes for the straits. You just have to keep an eye on the weather as you get close to the day of departure. There are a lot of neat places to stop for the night or for lunch with in the sound. I do not care what speed the current is under the bridge as much as I care what way the wind is blowing just out side the pass and whether its going with or against the wind. example- a 20 knot wind from the west or south on a incoming 12ft tide is going to be smooth. a 10 knot wind from the north on the same incoming tide is going to be a real bitch just out side the pass and across Rosario.

So It just depends and have all your info. Current, tide drop or raise ( how big) and wind speed ,direction.

I use this site for a lot of planning https://www.deepzoom.com/#/Views/Boat.xaml

so my go no go for the ( in my case) Everett to port Townsend to FH is the smith island wind station. if its blowing over 15-20 mph against the tide then its a no go. If the tide and wind are in sync then 25 is ok. You want the tide and wind working together. Same goes for the inside route.

starcrafttom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well traveling up from the south sound you could go to ways , 2 and a half really, and the best was just depends. I like the idea of traveling on the water the whole way but would make a 2 day trip out of it depending on the weather. I like to run the boat and if its smooth a 10 hour day is enjoyable. Stop some where for lunch or just looking around. But lets look at your choices . From Des Moines to Fh is 80 NM . So at 18 knots ( smooth water) its a 4 1/2 hour ride non stop. If you can only average 10 knots its a 8 hour run. Either one is a day trip. Going the other way on the inside and thru the pass is 93 NM and 9.25 hours at 10 knots . Now if you cut thru La conner to avoid the Deception pass, its 97 miles and 9.45 hours at 10 knots or 5 1/2 at 18 knots.

MYTH Busters " is the " inside " safer or smoother"? It depends. Some of the roughest rides we have ever had have been the inside of Whidbey island and just out side of deception pass. It has, at other times, been flat. Its all just matter of wind and currents. Same goes for the straits. You just have to keep an eye on the weather as you get close to the day of departure. There are a lot of neat places to stop for the night or for lunch with in the sound. I do not care what speed the current is under the bridge as much as I care what way the wind is blowing just out side the pass and whether its going with or against the wind. example- a 20 knot wind from the west or south on a incoming 12ft tide is going to be smooth. a 10 knot wind from the north on the same incoming tide is going to be a real bitch just out side the pass and across Rosario.

So It just depends and have all your info. Current, tide drop or raise ( how big) and wind speed ,direction.

I use this site for a lot of planning https://www.deepzoom.com/#/Views/Boat.xaml

so my go no go for the ( in my case) Everett to port Townsend to FH is the smith island wind station. if its blowing over 15-20 mph against the tide then its a no go. If the tide and wind are in sync then 25 is ok. You want the tide and wind working together. Same goes for the inside route.
DayBreak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this link Tom to help in planning a crossing. Would like to know why the NOAA Smith Island Buoy station is not showing wave height and period measurements lately? I like looking at these numbers to determine a go or no go in a crossing.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, The Smith Island is a land based observation station so no wave info. Yes, Bummer. (Because I use that one too, as my east side check window.)

Coming form the south, IF you elect to do the east side of Whidbey, consider this. Stop at Port Townsend, Point Hudson, closer to old town, or Boat Haven, (Fuel dock, West Marine, and launch ramp,) and then do what I do to get (Generally) the smoothest water for crossing to Cattle Pass, Leave EARLY in the morning. It is about 30 miles to FH, from there, about 25 to Cattle Pass. IF you leave early (again VERY EARLY) like at first light, before sunrise, You WILL have less wind 90% of the time. And IF your wind and Tidal current are aligned, and you have 3 hours on that tide, you have it made. AT Cattle Pass, approach and enter along the sides, And you will love it a slack tide or following on a flood. It's a piece of cake -- double chocolate fudge Rolling Eyes but you made it in 2+ hours easy.

My go-no go wind speeds are lower than Tom's by 5-10. He is running a bigger, heavier boat. 10 - 15 Knot winds are my max, against and with respectively. (I am leaving form Sequim Bay to Cattle Pass. I check weather at Smith Island, Ediz Hook (Port Angeles), Race Rocks (Victoria), and the New Dungeness Buoy, (close to mid Juan de Fuca) Which has not been reporting since last November so the Angeles Point one for Wave period and height.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

DayBreak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great information here. Thanks Tom and Harvey. I meant New Dungeness buoy when I said Smith Island. I have found the wave height and period of New Dungeness to be very helpful in the past. Hope those numbers come back again in the Spring. Thanks Harvey for your information. I will use that to help determine a safe crossing in the future. Gary.
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The myth of leaving early- Harvey thinks that its a good Idea and that is 90% of the time what he does. but the wind does not care what time it is. Leave when its the best conditions. I have seen cbrats leave really early and the wind and tide where not right at all and they got a bumpy ride home or even had to turn back. Susan and I hardly ever leave to or from the san Juan's before 5pm in the spring and summer. He don't have wind that would makes us turn back 95% of the time and we have 0 wind 80 present of the time. We want to spend the whole day Sunday enjoying the islands and not have to get up at 0 dark 30 just based on a myth. The wind can not tell time.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The wind can not tell time.

Certainly true for front driven winds, but not true for thermal driven winds.

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like many things, this has been discussed before with probably the same results as now. If you ever get to make the Inland Passage north to Alaska & then explore there for a good period of time you will definitely find the general calming of wind & waters in early mornings & late evenings is not mythic. As I’ve stated before & you know well, weather fronts passing through come & go on their own time as you describe & should be taking into consideration foremost on planning a crossing such as the the Strait from Sequim to Cattle Pass, but for the majority of the time leaving early like Harvey suggest & I’ve done so many hundreds of times turned out to be the better choice, as we set at anchorage or at a Marina resting or just enjoying, as the wind picked up & the waves built as the afternoon passed. Even on mountain lakes or just plain in the mountains this is a normal thermal wind pattern. On Yellowstone Lake during settled weather patterns, the calm in the morning & evening with high winds every late morning or early afternoon is definitely to be counted on & this is the same most everywhere. And yes, like you, I’ve also experienced calm & windy conditions at all periods of the 24 hour clock, such as in 2019, when during the Friday Harbor Gathering, I crossed the Strait of San Juan De Fuca twice in the afternoon with the first crossing towing a 25 foot Ranger Tug & only minor wind, but as a general rule daily wind pattern’s are fact, not myth & weather wind patterns such as will blow up Johnston Strait or the Lynn Canol should be considered in planning along with the tides, their direction, weather fronts, capes, points & passes, that could be encountered.

On the the other hand for some, extending the pleasure of doing whatever for the day or not having to rise up in the morning, so early, might be worth the gamble of a later rough ride or even beating, as is often stated here, our boats can take much more than us & still stay afloat.

Jay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: