The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Dimensions of 4, 5, or 6hp kicker
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zuunami

City/Region: Fort Bragg
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Oh Buoy!
Photos: zuunami
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:09 pm    Post subject: Dimensions of 4, 5, or 6hp kicker Reply with quote

We need a new kicker on our 16' cruiser, but in addition to weight and shaft considerations, we're trying to find approximate dimensions (widest point of width and depth) of the cowl of a 4, 5, or 6hp recent year model gas kicker - I think most mfrs will be about the same. We don't have ANY place to look at motors within 300 miles, and I can't find anything online, it's quite amazing actually Smile And if anyone has dimensions for a 3.5 that would be great too. We know how important a kicker is, but I have to say, it's so nice and big in the splashwell area with nothing there but the main, so we want to stay as small as possible without compromising safety/necessary power. Thanks!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A )long( while back I had a 3.5 Merc on a 15 ft sailboat that weighed near the same as a CD-16. It Moved that SB easy. I'm thinking that might be just a bit light for the 16, different hull shape, but I may be surprised. Guess we'll see what you get for responses.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

zuunami

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Harvey. Watched a couple of videos this morning where people easily swapped out the carburetor on a 3.5 to a 5 or 6. More horsepower in a smaller package. hmm, possibility Smile
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zuunami,
I have about 20 small outboards in my shed, that I have gone completely through as part of my hobby. Please tell me the specific brand and hp that you are interested in and I will take measurements for you.
PS, you may have already seen this from me, but Tohatsu makes/made 4 stroke 4, 5 & 6 hp for Mercury, Evinrude, Nissan and of course labeled as Tohatsu. The only difference between these is the label on the cowling, the carburetor and shaft lengths (17", 22" & 27"). The carb on the 4 & 5 has a smaller throat, than the 6. The only diffenece between the high thrust version is the prop.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
zuunami

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks so much Steve! We haven't decided yet, but I'm assuming that the Mercury, Tohatsu, and Suzuki 4, 5, and 6hp in recent years would pretty much have the same general cowling size (width and depth), so an approximate measurement on any of those would be great. We would be looking to buy new, so I don't know whether newer vs. older models would be similar in size.
zuunami

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve - maybe you can answer this is well. What if we got a merc or Tohatsu 4hp, see how that pushes the 16' cruiser. Is it as easy to change out the carburetor to a 5hp or 6hp as it seems on YouTube? Smile If so, then we could upgrade the carburetor as needed, and/or possibly change the prop to a high thrust prop? Let me know what you think. Also, what's the most reliable place to buy parts online for outboards, there's a zillion! thanks - Karen
Walton

City/Region: Lilburn
State or Province: GA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Morning Light
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zuunami, I just bought a Tohatsu 8hp long shaft, and the link I'm including here was most helpful in my search for a kicker. The link is for the dimensions of 6hp including not only the "normal" listed dimensions ... but tilted up and swing of the cowl / tiller!

On the Tohatsu site, go to the "Portable Series," pick your model and scroll down to dimensions. I hope this helps you decide. Oh yeah, I ordered mine on line, received it in a couple of days, factory box strapped to a pallet.

https://www.tohatsu.com/marine/na/outboards/img/b11506a7b4cc929c6173b010b96c8708a83fca94.jpg

Walton
Morning Light
C-Dory 22 Cruiser
zuunami

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, Walton, thanks, just what I was looking for, don't know why I couldn't find something like this, I searched and searched Smile
srbaum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zuunami,
It takes about 15 minutes to change the carb on the 4, 5 or 6 Tohatsu, at most. The prop change is even faster.
A small boat will reach and maintain hull speed easy and run a a lower RPM, with the high thrust prop, then trying to do same with the stock prop. It also will provide much better backing authority. I use a 6 hp Tohatsu with the high thrust prop on my 24' long x 18' wide trimaran sailboat and easily achieve hull speed at about 2/3's throttle. I usually run at about 1/2 throttle and loose a knot of speed, for a much quieter experience, as single cylinder outboards typically make a good deal of noise.
zuunami

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again, Steve. I think we're starting to zero in on the Mercury 5hp sailpro long shaft for about $1585. It already has the high thrust prop (which is around $100), plus it has an alternator if we ever need that. If we ever need to go up to a 6hp, that would be about $100 for the carburetor. Mercury doesn't make a 6hp sailpro model.

We've looked at the Tohatsu 6hp sailpro, but they're only in white, and since our C-Dory is really an off-white, I think it will just make the boat look dirty Smile Some of their models also only have an external fuel tank connection (no internal fuel tank, which a while back I thought would be useless, but can now see the possible benefits of).

We also looked at the Suzuki, particularly because it weighs the least and would seem to have a bit more power, but the side shift lever just seems to be too inconvenient.

Any additional feedback would be appreciated, as we're getting ready to order it up! thanks again Smile
srbaum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zuunami,
When you get your outboard, feel free to touch base and I will walk you through the required maintenance and particulars about this model.
Lastly, down the road, if you go for the 6 hp carb, be carful, as most of the aftermarket carbs, that are advertised as 6 hp, are in fact 4 - 5 hp. As mention previously, the throat of the 6 hp is larger and most of the aftermarket folks still are able to sell their products, because folks that buy them, don't know the difference.
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:27 pm    Post subject: Suzuki Reply with quote

I wonder how a 2 1/2 Hp Suzuki would do for a kicker on a Cdory 23 venture
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
srbaum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jennykatz,
A small outboard of that HP, would get the boat moving, but if there was wind or tide, they would likely be the influence that would deside, where the boat goes...
Steve Baum
Homeport of Portsmouth, VA
OSPREY (Ex Mister Sea) 2000 22 C-Dory 2010 - Sold 3/19
OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
zuunami

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jennykatz - the other consideration is that most motors under 4hp don't have a reverse gear, so you have to reach out in back of the boat to turn the motor around to go in reverse.
zuunami

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, they said the same thing about the 6hp carb on the website readysetboat.com. But the pics they showed of their 6hp upgrade (which I misspoke earlier, is about $190) don't show any markings that would show it's OEM. So I guess it would be hard to tell online. If we need to upgrade to a 6 (and I'm not sure one HP is going to make that much of a difference), I'll get in touch with you for advice about where to buy. I find Boats.net a little daunting to get around, it might be easier once I have a serial number to work from.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: