View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:44 pm    Post subject: Prop Nut Kits for Yamaha 9.9 Reply with quote

Has anyone found a prop nut kit that fits the Yamaha T9.9 XPB outboards with the dual thrust 14.75x7 prop? There is a kit, p/n 17031501, but this is for a regular prop. The OEM prop on the 9.9 high thrust kicker, is dual thrust (whatever that means) and require some different washers and spacers. So far I've only been able to find them individually priced out around $75 for the cheapest provider. The 17031501 kit with similar parts is $29. I would like to keep a spare nut kit around, just in case... Colby
san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby,

Is not your kicker the "high" thrust ? The 8hp and the 9.9 only came with the "high" thrust prop ( nearly equal thrust in forward as well as reverse). You found the Solas kit for like $25 dollars, that is the same as I used on my "high" thrust. Sierra most likely has the same pieces as the Solas. Just don't lose the prop, just 1 option on that expensive little beast.
alan
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan, they actually refer to the prop as "Dual Thrust". And looking in the operating manual, they do show different parts for the dual thrust as opposed to a regular prop. While the parts appear similar, they are different. The inner thrust spacer or washer on the dual thrust is flat on the prop side, whereas the regular spacer has a small lip. There is an outside spacer between the prop and smaller washer and castle nut that has the cotter pin go thru the inside of the nut. The inside thrust washer also has a circle clip that helps keep it inside the back of the prop. Then there is a large fender like washer that fits over that outer portion of the inside thrust washer. All confusing to discuss here, but if you look at the operation manual, you can see the differences there. I did try fitting the new, but wrong thrust washer to the back of my prop, and it does not fit flush as the correct one does. And the outer spacer is required on the dual thrust OEM prop.
Just wish they had a packaged deal to fit this prop, as I doubt that the individual items are really worth $75... Colby
Edited note: Here is a copy of the parts diagram from the operating manual. Notice specifically part 6 and that it is flat on the prop side, whereas the one on the kit I mentioned earlier has a small lip. Also notice the large washer that fits over that part. Also the spacer part 4, and then the smaller washer part 3, and style of nut, part 2. All different from that kit for the "regular" prop.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Propellers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: