The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Venting heat
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C Sniper wrote:
Tangent here... James, is the SD - Sandy Eggo? south dakota? other? none of my biz? haha. just curious

I appreciate your input given you have more experience with the dorys in local waters. thx again!

We used to divide our time between South Dakota and Texas. For a lot of years, both places were "home."

Boating (and especially anchoring) in the Tropical Tip is unique. Over the years, we have had a variety of sailboats and powerboats here. I can't say I've tried to do what you are going for, with deploying a kite from the cockpit of the C-Dory, so I can't offer any advice on that. With the cruising we've done, we looked for "protected" anchoring, never looking to be out in the wind. So, pretty much the opposite of what your situation is. But, I have dealt with all the same trying to keep the cabin from becoming an oven situations.

Good luck with it.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone was shooting down opening a window, but rather sharing a car window is different from a boat window with it's location closer to the top where the heat will rise to. I'm not saying the solar vents wouldn't possibly help. I just don't know if it will help enuf in the hot Texas sun. On my 22 I would run one vent fan in exhaust, the other on intake, depending on if I wanted outside air coming in on me in the berth, or drawing the warm heated cabin air from my Webasto into the berth. Pretty much the same way I run my one fan on the 25 in the head, with the head door open. On the 22 the idea of placing the one solar vent over the galley was to help dissipate cooking condensation, and in the 25's head, to exhaust foul air. Mr. Green My displeasure with the rather expensive solar vents we are talking about, is that I don't believe they move that much air, although I do think with my 25, the berth hatch left open a tad bit, and the head vent bring air in, it does seem to push the warmed cabin air on cold nights a bit more into the V-Berth. I've also had issues with the solar batteries not lasing thru the night if it's been a cloudy day. Seems to me, having curtains closed on the windows, or some other darkening or insulating material would help. At least here in Wisconsin on our warmer days that can reach 90, and the boat cabin can climb to between 100-110, I can keep the parked boat just a bit cooler by closing all the window curtains. Sometimes I leave the solar vent operating, sometimes not. When on the water, or in the boat, I have several carframo fans that I also run that help immensely. Colby
C Sniper

City/Region: South Padre Island
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: C Sniper
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James

haha, I grew up sailing off of Gavin's Point, small world...
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
... At least here in Wisconsin on our warmer days that can reach 90, and the boat cabin can climb to between 100-110, I can keep the parked boat just a bit cooler by closing all the window curtains. Sometimes I leave the solar vent operating, sometimes not. When on the water, or in the boat, I have several carframo fans that I also run that help immensely. Colby

In the mid Atlantic region, while the boat was moving, opening the center front and v-berth hatch and having the cabin door open kept the cabin cool enough. When stopped, I put a 12" DC fan in the center window. When really hot at anchor or a dock, there was the AC unit.

Closing up the boat and putting up the window shades (at least in the sunny side) helped a lot with heat gain in the cabin when using the AC.

I have noted that with the boat closed up and under the cover, the cabin temp can reach 130 deg F. in the summer time.
C Sniper

City/Region: South Padre Island
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: C Sniper
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The side and rear windows have a tint already. But shades/curtains, when not it use, would help hugely I bet. I am going to do this as well
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the Nicro solar vents on prior boats. Worked great for the head. Their big selling point is that they don't foul deck lines. Probably not so important on a C-Dory.

Somehow I ended up with solar Nicro in the garage boat stuff bin and put it to novel use. I have a cheapo metal tool shed that I use for a woodshed. The side facing south is painted black and I needed to vent the moisture that I was "cooking" out of the wood. A Nicro installed in a hole cut in the roof wasn't enough. It has a tiny solar cell and a tiny fan. I needed to really move some air so I bought a computer fan and a little trickle charger 12V solar panel. It easily moves 10X the air. I suppose I could put a little 12V battery in line and run it a bit after dark, which wouldn't be necessary in the OP's usage. For my "solar kiln" woodshed, it allows me to cut firewood in late spring and dry it for use that winter. "Seasoning" is <6 months.

I would always avoid cutting a hole in a boat if possible. Make a window sized blank with a 3 to 6" hole in it, depending on the size of your computer fan. Open the window and insert the blank. Attach mini-solar panel. Blow in or pull out. Your choice.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: