The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Boat Covers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Q2: Can you all post some pics of your covered C-Dory's?

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Boat-Cover&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

I believe the cover was subrella or something like that. It was custom made by Lohaus Covers in the Madison Wi area. I think I paid somewhere around $1500 for it. It is secure enough to tow with it on. I keep the snow swept off of it in the winter. I sold the boat two years ago when I upgraded to the 25, but at that time I had owned the boat for about 10 years and the cover was still in great shape. Colby
multimediasmith

City/Region: New Orleans' Northshore
State or Province: LA
Vessel Name: ENDEAVOR
Photos: ENDEAVOR
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:15 am    Post subject: boat cover Reply with quote

Do you use a cover for towing on the highway?
Was wondering if stone chips or canvas flapping would be worse...
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a cover on the front windshield. Sunbrella, 2 layers made into a pocket and then corrugated plastic sign sheets in the pockets.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
I use a cover on the front windshield. Sunbrella, 2 layers made into a pocket and then corrugated plastic sign sheets in the pockets.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

I like that! Excellent idea. Who did the fabrication?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: boat cover Reply with quote

multimediasmith wrote:
During rain, I have left the cockpit slant back cover on when towing. You have to be sure that it is nice and tight.

I have had mixed results with the windshield cover. On my 22's it seemed to work fine. On the 25, it flapped, and caused some chafe on the gel coat. Thus I did not continue it's use. It appeared to be as tight as the others.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I did tow my 22 once or twice with the custom cover on it. No problem with the cover, but it did hurt my tow vehicles fuel mileage! Otherwise, I've never had any other protection (windshield covers or hull protection) towing, and I have averaged 10,000 miles a year towing regionally and across country, with out damage to the boat. (knock on wood...) I've also towed thru snow and rain, but always tow and store my boat with the bilge plug removed. (Actually prefer to hit some heavy rain towards the end of a long trip to clean the road grime off! Cool Colby
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Quote:

I did tow my 22 once or twice with the custom cover on it. No problem with the cover, but it did hurt my tow vehicles fuel mileage! Otherwise, I've never had any other protection (windshield covers or hull protection) towing, and I have averaged 10,000 miles a year towing regionally and across country, with out damage to the boat. (knock on wood...) I've also towed thru snow and rain, but always tow and store my boat with the bilge plug removed. (Actually prefer to hit some heavy rain towards the end of a long trip to clean the road grime off! Cool Colby

I also tow my boat without the cover on it or window protection. I think that the tow vehicle provides sufficient debris protection of the boat windshields.
multimediasmith

City/Region: New Orleans' Northshore
State or Province: LA
Vessel Name: ENDEAVOR
Photos: ENDEAVOR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:41 am    Post subject: boat cover Reply with quote

The 25 sits really high on the trailer... above most random stones?
Sounds good to me, one less thing to have to deal with...
Thanks for the input everyone...
Wood Zeppelin

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Creature
Photos: Childhood Dream
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:29 pm    Post subject: slant back vs full cover Reply with quote

I posted a version of this in the towing section, but this might be a better place..

I did a dumb thing. I had the cockpit cover snapped onto my cruiser while towing. I figured (a) it keeps everything inside (b) keep the rain, wind and dirt out (c) theft deterrent and (d) better aerodynamics..

That worked fine for the first day.

Then it got hot the next day. Heat = looser and more flappy in the wind. Somewhere I lost it! I noticed later that two of the snaps tore loose from the fiberglass.

So far, for storage in winters, I've been putting on the slant-back cockpit cover and then throwing a tarp over the rest of the boat.

So would a full cover be better for both towing and storage purposes?

Also, if I want to get a new slant-back, is it possible to get one that fit the existing snap locations without having the old one as a pattern anymore?

And I abandon the slant back, should I remove the snaps and plug the holes?

So I am wondering, would it be better to just get a whole-boat cover and not worry about the little cockpit cover?

Current boats:

1997 22' Angler - "C-Creature"
1988 16' Angler - "E-fishn-C" (Project boat)
1997 16' Cruiser - "Wet-a-Net"

Also:
14.5' Drift Boat - "Wood Zeppelin"
Wood Zeppelin

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1997
Vessel Name: C-Creature
Photos: Childhood Dream
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:31 pm    Post subject: slant back vs full cover Reply with quote

I posted a version of this in the towing section, but this might be a better place..

I did a dumb thing. I had the cockpit cover snapped onto my cruiser while towing. I figured (a) it keeps everything inside (b) keep the rain, wind and dirt out (c) theft deterrent and (d) better aerodynamics..

That worked fine for the first day.

Then it got hot the next day. Heat = looser and more flappy in the wind. Somewhere I lost it! I noticed later that two of the snaps tore loose from the fiberglass.

So far, for storage in winters, I've been putting on the slant-back cockpit cover and then throwing a tarp over the rest of the boat.

So would a full cover be better for both towing and storage purposes?

Also, if I want to get a new slant-back, is it possible to get one that fit the existing snap locations without having the old one as a pattern anymore?

And I abandon the slant back, should I remove the snaps and plug the holes?

So I am wondering, would it be better to just get a whole-boat cover and not worry about the little cockpit cover?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my comments in your other post. Similar to my post above on this page.
KU

City/Region: Carmel Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Sea Cruz
Photos: Sea Cruz
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:07 pm    Post subject: Angola Canvas for a 2005 22' Angler Reply with quote

My first sunbrella cover was from Angola. ~$960+ ~6 yrs ago. They were the only ones that allegedly had all the measurements for a 22' Angler, Their 22' Cruiser pattern is the product/template most people are giving positive reviews for. I only have a radar dome, not other non-stock mods. Mine was well made, but they forgot the side access zipper I asked for, BUT didn't charge me for it, so I lived with it for a year. It is too loose for use on the boat in a slip. I had to run a line side to side under the hull in the middle to tie it down, or it would peel up in any good wind. I kept the cover as it would be 100% fine for use on a trailer-ed boat during storage/overnight when traveling, but not on the boat when towing. I had a custom one made of sunbrella with all possible rub points reinforced with synthetic leather [~$1300+]. It has been on the boat every winter/rainy season for 6+ yrs and is only beginning to wear. It fits tight and barely moves. Its bottom edge cord tightens under the rub-rail. I have my two side fenders through the bottom gaps in both side zippers to help it not shift upward [see myphoto page]. I couldn't find any vendor other than Angola with a 22' CD Angler template. This vendor now has one, Monterey Bay Canvas - Phone: (831) 277-6094 - Address: 695 Hamilton Ave, Seaside, CA 93955
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: