The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Third Battery bank wire termination?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Third Battery bank wire termination? Reply with quote

I have a factory installed (as far as I can tell) guest 2621A. It has three sets of charging wires leading out of the beneath the passenger rear seat, when it seems to terminate on the port side battery compartment there are two sets of wires. I would guess the 10amp charging cable is for big group 31 house battery, that may have never been installed? Anyone have a factory wires third (house battery) battery and where is it?

I asked it in the Facebook group due to the ease of posting photos. https://www.facebook.com/groups/402371550212146/permalink/1339794729803152/
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manual states:
Quote:
The recommended maximum battery size per 10 amp bank is 120AH.

Are your two (should be 3 red or +) wires identified as to 5 amps 5 amps and 10 amps?

I believe that you will find that the 25's of various vintages, and manufactures, will have batteries installed in different places. On the 2007 25 Thataway, there were two group 27 batteries (house) on the starboard side, and one group 24 battery (engine start) on the port side. These are above the bilge, in back of the aft cockpit bulkhead, and on each side of the water tank.

Your photos show that there are two red (+) wires, one with blue stripes and one all red. Unfortunately the photo of the output of the charger does not show which is blue striped.

You need to ID that one, and place it to the group 31 battery, where ever there is room to place it. You can also use two group 27 batteries (or even two group 24) and still charge that with the 10 amp leg. If you put additional batteries on the house circuit--they should be matched as to size, age and capacity.

Do you have VSR? It is not clear where. your batteries are installed.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
kaelc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, they have 5, 5, 10 fuses at the charger and fuses in the port battery compartment, I’ll check those rating next time I’m in the boat. I figured they are both 5 amp but need to verify. The two charger positives that terminate there then go into a m-ACR a blue seas automatic charge relay. Which I don’t think they should? I think the double fuse is redundant.

I’ll check the colour combination as well. Thanks for comment.
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manual calls for fusing 15 amps at each of the outputs. (irregardless of the 5 or 10 amps). The manual does identify which of the outputs is the 10--and you should be able to identify the one which as the blue strip--I would guess that most likely the blue strip is the 10 amp output.

Since it goes to the ACR, then you would only put one lead there. As there is any voltage greater than 13.7 (+/-) will combine the batteries, so putting 2 leads to batteries is redundant...

You do want to fuse each leg. Not sure where the other fuse is--but the legs to the ACR / switch are going to be fused at some place--probably in the 60 amp or so range...This allows for the outboard charging, which is what is normally "combined".
kaelc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, I appreciate it. Catching the 15 amp fuses in the manual is a good one. I think to maximize shore charging each of the 5amp wires should go directly to the two batteries. I'll hunt tomorrow for the Red/Blue wire!
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Guest chargers are basically "recovery" for the top off. If one is using a lot of 12 volt appliances when on shore power--and needs more rapid charging, we usually go with one of the larger smart chargers--Master Volt, Blue Seas, Victron, Noco, and Pro Mariner, Pro Nautic, are several of the ones I recommend. Also monitoring with a Victron 702/712 is a good way to carefully trace battery use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: