View previous topic :: View next topic  
CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Marine Electronic Visual Distress Signal Auth.by Canada Reply with quote

Here is the article:
https://waggonerguide.com/marine-electronic-visual-distress-signal-authorized-by-canada/

This is sort of good news for us Canucks, as I really don't like flares. They are dangerous, hazardous, next to impossible to dispose of up here, and are a real threat to the environment considering the toxic chemical makeup of them and the fact that thousands need to be disposed of every year, after they expire.

The bad news is the cost,(>$400 CDN), and the lights must be labelled with "complies with RTCM Standard 13200.0 for an eVDSD", and the physical size of the thing.

Sigh....looks like I will be going the flare route again.. Sad

Chris

gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

We bought the white light blinky thing when it was first approved by the USCG as a ‘night emergency signal device.’

We were not impressed, but carried it nonetheless, along with flares.

We are VERY impressed by the Sirius C1002, which flashes very bright red/blue/orange flashes. We bought one. Overall, it takes up much less room than the flares take up and it is much safer.

We plan to demo both at the Hontoon Hoot (if approved by Our Fearless Leader Tom)...so you should travel 10,000 miles to check this out!

Cheers!

John

kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully, other manufactures will step up to the plate and provide some competition. I won't be getting one under my Christmas tree this year!
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Marine Electronic Visual Distress Signal Auth.by Canada Reply with quote

CC Rider wrote:
Here is the article:
https://waggonerguide.com/marine-electronic-visual-distress-signal-authorized-by-canada/

This is sort of good news for us Canucks, as I really don't like flares. They are dangerous, hazardous, next to impossible to dispose of up here, and are a real threat to the environment considering the toxic chemical makeup of them and the fact that thousands need to be disposed of every year, after they expire.

The bad news is the cost,(>$400 CDN), and the lights must be labelled with "complies with RTCM Standard 13200.0 for an eVDSD", and the physical size of the thing.

Sigh....looks like I will be going the flare route again.. Sad

Chris

Except that with the Canadian rules say "When carried with an approved smoke signal...". If they have expiration dates on the smokers, you might not be gaining as much.

The new "flare" does a lot more stuff than just blink a light.

"Everything is better with BlueTooth on it."
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,
I hear you on the $$$ thing, but like John, I got on as soon as they were approved for us down here. I keep that white light, "blinky thing" in my ditch bag, right by the cabin door. {The PLB is on my PFD strap along with the Handheld VHF.) The SOS light takes up about the same space as my flares and pistol flares combined, is lighter AND won't start my boat on fire. I think I have had mine for 4 years now, and although I didn't buy new flares every year, (I was doing it every other year, I have paid for the SOS light in savings on flares for the last 4 years.

John,
I know that original strobe isn't sunlight bright, but if you test it out on a dark night it does show up very well. That new one with the pretty colors is a nice idea, now you have some redundancy Laughing

FWIW, I know you are required to have either the flares or light, but in a real life endangering emergency, what will REALLY work is a PLB and a hand held VHF. The Personal Locator Beacon make direct contact with a real person who sets off a real search and rescue (SAR) team system immediately. That will get someone within VHF range, and once you see or hear a helo you can talk to them to give them real time directions. I know, that is not a required set of survival gear, but your life is worth it.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the belief that flares are not the greatest thing to have aboard a plastic boat with gasoline tanks. I bought one of the USA CG approved electronic SOS blinkers shortly after they came out down here. It cost around a hundred bucks back then.

I notice the battery life, even if never used, seems to be short in the thing. Almost as if it has a parasitic draw of some kind. I unscrew the module well beyond the spot where it turns it off and check it often to make sure it works. I like the idea of it being able to float and keep working when wet.

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an ex coastie C-130 pilot that has done search and rescue, I'd still keep the flares around. On a dark stormy night, the floating lantern may be rather hard to see unless rescue is near or over you. Whereas the flare can be seen from a distance. (Assuming the rescuer is looking in that direction.) I bought the electric light to pretty much alleviate having to carry flares that were not expired. And while there is no guarantee an expired flare will work, the probability of at least some of them working is still pretty good. I do agree with Harvey that a PLB and VHF radio will be your best friend.
Mike, I've got the more expensive lithium batteries in my SOS light, and they have held their charge for several years now. I do check them before each season. (Same with the small lights I keep on the inflatable PFD's). Colby
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="colbysmith"... Mike, I've got the more expensive lithium batteries in my SOS light, and they have held their charge for several years now. I do check them before each season. (Same with the small lights I keep on the inflatable PFD's). Colby[/quote]

Do you check them for operation duration or just that the light comes on? Not a whole lot of utility in a light that will only work for 10 mins because the batteries are old.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean, do I leave them on to see how long they'll last before burning out? No. I take the batteries out and test the voltage. Or sometimes just run them through a cycle to make sure they keep their brightness during that time. Colby
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Colby...I test mine about monthly and check the voltage. I also keep a ziplock bag of several sets of spare batteries in my (plastic) gun box, that has the device, along with other pertinent safety gear, in it. Lastly i apply a light coat of synthetic grease to the batteries and to the threads and o'rings of the signal device.
OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
gstraub

City/Region: Callao
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: EnDoryFun
Photos: EnDoryFun
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put in new batteries at the start of each season. A couple of C or D batteries are pretty cheap. You can use the ones you pull out in something non-critical so you're not really wasting anything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: