zuunami

City/Region: Fort Bragg
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Oh Buoy!
Photos: zuunami
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone Smile Electric is tantalizing, but about $4k with the motor, batteries, cabling, etc - not really what we want to spend right now for a 16 footer that we'll only use a kicker to get us back, or a bit of trolling up the river at high tide. I like the idea of propane (less maintenance, less emissions, etc.), tho the 9.9 that came with the boat takes an inordinate amount of space next to the main 50hp. And, I've posted elsewhere, I'm not too keen on what it takes to do a propane storage locker if we were to get a 5 hp propane Tohatsu or Mercury, with the limited space on a 16'. Although my Captain disagrees Smile I'm leaning toward a 6hp gas Tohatsu, or similar Mercury. I'm not sure I want the internal gas tank of the Mercury. I saw some 2020 Mercury 5hp motors online for less than $1k, nor sure how reputable the online dealer is, and not sure the warranty runs with date of manufacture or sale. More research Smile
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We took our Newport electric motor out as a kicker last time out on our 16 just for jollies. We normally use it on the tender (9' inflatable) on our trawler. It is made for saltwater, 36# thrust, weighs nothing, and costs $150. We went into little backwaters with no wind or current and snuck around looking at birds. Worked fine for that use. Probably didn't hit 2 knots, but maneuverability was fine (but slow) and it really is silent. Slow and silent was what we wanted.

This is the smallest of the Newport electrics and doesn't gobble up a Group 24 battery, but we have two 24s onboard the Limpet and could save one as a starter just in case. If you had one of the larger Newports for an actual get home kicker, you would need a much bigger battery.

On our dinghy, we use a Group 27 100Ah deep cycle battery with the Newport as we sometimes sight see in the dinghy for 3 or 4 hours. At 70 pounds, it is a bit of a chore getting it in the dinghy. I have been looking into getting a LiFePo battery to use with the Newport. A 100 Ah lithium with it's own charger would give more usable amps and weigh 24#. That would be a great combination with the Newport. A 200 Ah lithium with a 55# thrust Newport would be a screamer on our dinghy for $800. Probably only 4 knots for 4 hours on a 16.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VYP3R82/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/FLYPOWER-LifePo4-Battery-Caravans-Parallel/dp/B08KY3TXR4/ref=sr_1_11?crid=2HB39UH4RGZBI&keywords=100+amp+lifepo4+battery&qid=1638737687&sprefix=LiFePo+amps+%2Caps%2C943&sr=8-11
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
zuunami

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, Marco, but for a kicker to get us home from 1 to 2 miles out in the ocean, not sure this is feasible considering the extra batteries just for a kicker, etc. ?
zuunami

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I think we're going to sell the Lehr 9.9 propane kicker (just too much to think about a locker, venting,etc.), and get a new Tohatsu or Mercury 5 or 6hp gas kicker. Since fueling in the harbor here is problematic, if nonexistent, we can have two 3- gallon gas tanks and carry them to the boat easily, and change them out between the motors to keep them fresh. And lose some weight. Six gallons total will do what we need.

Can't decide between the Tohatsu, which doesn't have the integrated fuel tank, and the Mercury, which does - I'm really not that keen on having fuel sit in a kicker that won't be used that much? The Mercury costs a bit more, and I know that Tohatsu makes them both. Thinking of the sailpro models with the high thrust prop?

Not any dealers in our area, anyone have any experience with or ideas about buying online from onlineoutboards.com ?

Thanks for any input! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: