The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Propane locker install
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomherrick wrote:
An individual can join ABYC for $190.00 and gain online access to all of their standards plus discounts on their courses. The current A-1 is dated July 2018.

How can an individual join ABYC? The only $190 membership I see is the student:

Quote:
Regular Student $190 (Annual membership, 2nd year free)

This membership is intended for students actively enrolled in an educational institute. Please note - ABYC is not an educational institute; enrollment in ABYC courses DOES NOT qualify you for student membership. You will be asked to provide proof of student status before membership is officially approved (picture of student ID card or registration papers, etc.).

Quote:
Membership specifically for current ABYC Certified Technicians already working for an ABYC member company. You get the membership benefits for a fraction of the cost.

When I was a member it was thru my marine company:

Quote:
Business$275/year
ABYC's basic membership level - the most popular membership level, intended for small marine businesses - surveyors, boatyards, repair services, etc.

Is there some other way?

Thanks

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
tomherrick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recreational Boaters Can Join ABYC

I found out about this a coupla years ago and joined.

https://abycinc.org/BlankCustom.asp?page=becomeamember
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link!
tomherrick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You betcha, Bob.
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Propane...both stove and heater (fireplace)....it was a task to get it into compliance with the Coast Guard.....I was lucky and have a friend who is a marine surveyor and he showed me how it had to be installed...

I had to make the locker deeper as Propane tanks are large...my extension goes down to about 3/4" above the fuel tank...
The tank had to be sealed tight with an overboard discharge vent...
From the tank it has to go to a remote solenoid valve.
From the valve it goes into a Y fitting with each line having a separate propane valve......each line has to have it's own regulator...and the line from the regulator cannot not have any fittings...it must be one continuous line to the fixture... Check out my pictures....
clayhubler

City/Region: La Center
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Hammerhead
Photos: Hammerhead
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am finally getting caught up on posting pics of some of the projects that I have completed on Hammerhead.

The propane locker is done and I am very pleased with it and also the Dickinson marine two burner cooktop that has replaced the wallas 95d.

I bought most of the parts online from defender. I did my best to follow all the advice on safety and best practices, and I am pleased with the install and feel safe using it.

I modified the port lazarette to hold two manchester 5lb propane tanks. Since I only have the two burner cooktop and the magma grill, this gives me a lot of run time.

I ran the 3/8 low pressure propane hoses under the gunwhale on the port side and then down beside the water tank,under the step by the bilgepump, and then up into the bottom of the stove and out through the bulkhead to the bbq on the starboard side just behind the bulkhead.

The drain is a 1/2" hole with a clamshell over it that leads to the splashwell. I realize it should be at the bottom of each of the tank inserts, but as they are only 2 inches deep, I made an executive decision that the bottom of the lazarette was close enough.

I have a solenoid controlled from the galley, and a lpg sensor underneath the galley.

So far I am really pleased with the install, and, though it was pricey and time consuming, happy to have made the effort. The admiral really likes the new cooktop. Instant on and off (unlike the wallas) and many more btus.

The tanks dont really have the ability to tip over because everything is pretty tight in there, but I am making a block that goes between the tanks and then will use some kind of elastic to secure the tanks together.

Lots of picture of the install here:
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Propane-Locker&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can cook most meals with gas and being doing the dishes by the time the wallas even gets warm.....lol....It looks like a nice clean install to me.
tomherrick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done. Thanks for all the details.
zuunami

City/Region: Fort Bragg
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Oh Buoy!
Photos: zuunami
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a little off post, but I don't see anything elsewhere...We recently purchased a 16' cruiser with a 9.9 propane kicker. We're still deciding whether to replace it, but if we stay with propane it seems we need to build a locker for the tank? We would probably only use a small 10# tank, the larger one it came with just sat in the bilge area under the splashwell. That's the perfect place for it, but a locker has to be top loading, as I understand. And, has to be vented to the outside. Meaning we have to go through the side of the boat? I'm not too fond of that Smile I guess it could sit up by the motors and then wouldn't need to be in a locker, but that's kind of awkward. Any advice?
clayhubler

City/Region: La Center
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Hammerhead
Photos: Hammerhead
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you want propane on the boat for other reasons I would sell it. I can't imagine that a ten pound tank is going to run that motor very long anyway. Having it sit down in the bilge is not safe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: