The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

16 C-Dory in NC needs more ventilation for summer! Ideas?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keegster

City/Region: Carolina Beach
State or Province: NC
Photos: Keegster
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: 16 C-Dory in NC needs more ventilation for summer! Ideas? Reply with quote

Hello! I have a 16 Angler and live in SE NC. Needless to say, its pretty hot here in the summer. I've added a 12v fan but it doesn't seem to be enough. I was toying with the idea of adding some type of ventilation in the roof of the cabin, but haven't settled on a particular type yet.

I was wondering if any fellow C dory owners have done this type of thing before?

I have thought about using a Cow vent or two, solar fan vent, mushroom vent or even installing a hatch (maybe 10"x10") in the roof.

Any ideas or thoughts of what might work best?
Thanks!
Roamad

City/Region: Isleton
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Photos: Roamad
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subscribing to hear everyone’s ideas! I may need something for our 16-footer as well, come summertime.

One thought is to shade the roof somehow. There’s a guy in Youtube (Back Waters and Back Roads) who has a Yakima type roof basket on his 16-footer. Add a thin plastic or plywood panel in the bottom of the basket and you have shade for the whole roof. Old-school Land Rovers had something similar from the factory: a second layer of metal over the whole roof, creating a shaded air gap to help keep the interior cool.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make that roof shade a double duty item ---> SOLAR Panel and you could probably add a second fan or so. Doesn't seem to me that a roof vent fan would add that much Rolling Eyes Isn't the whole aft of the cabin open? Or maybe you just need to set up an AC unit that will cool a fair share of the county.

I think a fan blowing directly at you works best, especially if you add a mist or wet head or neck band. (Opening the front window if you are moving helps. I just keep mine open about an inch unless I am out in the Strait.)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have added the 10" x 10" Bomar opening hatch on several larger pilot house boats to get good ventilation in the galley. It works well. I usually put one opening facing forward and one opening facing aft.

In the 16 it would help when you are underway, but not much when in a slip or at anchor. (Depens on how much breeze.). Opening all windows, including the windshield is the best way for ventilation.

The opening hatch will allow some sunlight (heat) into the boat when closed up.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Keegster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback thataway..good to know it may help with the circulation. It stays about 110 degrees in the pilot house when not underway

Unfortunately my windshields are fixed on my 16. It would be great if they opened and would solve the problem! I've thought about seeing if I could get something made but figured it would cost an arm and a leg and not worth the price. Is there other 16 anglers out there with opening windshields ( a different year than 91')?

Its pretty windy here, which is part of the problem at anchor bc we're held steady bow into the wind. The fwd cabin hatch offers some relief but the helm blocks the stbd side from circulation.

Anyway, thanks for the info!
Roamad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you’re not doing a shade cover, it seems a 10x10 hatch as suggested by thataway would be the way to go. Make them forward-opening and put one over each seat and you’d be pulling a breeze directly onto each passenger. You could then have insulated hatch covers on them, when closed, for shade.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be too radical but it's a though (outside the box). If the issue is radiated heat from the inside of the roof and the solar panel is not going to work this could be an alternative that could work WITH the addition of some type of roof vents.

Paint the top of the cabin with a solar reflective paint or color. It's probably already light colored but consider an aluminized silver. Could decrease the inside roof temp by 10 to 20 degrees.

Just a thought.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Keegster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger that, thanks for the feedback guys.. I've actually also set up a shade cover as well that covers the aft deck and about 1 foot of the pilot house using a Talyormade T-top shade kit. Got a slightly used one for way cheaper. Its pretty quite underway (made of thick yoga pants type material is the best way to describe it) and I like it alot so far! The aft poles it comes with, go into 15 degree rod holders facing astern and I got a bar made of 1'' aluminum that sits in my rod holders 1ft fwd from the back of the pilot house on either side on the gunwale. The bar basically bends over the top of the cabin and sits in the fwd rod holders and is lashed down at the midship cleats and when attached to the shade kit, is high enough for full standing on the aft deck. All fully removeable for the winter months.

I'll take a picture of it soon and post it on here.

I guess it is possible to run stretchy fabric or a solar panel from the bar and fwd over the pilot house...will have to ponder on that.. but am liking the idea of a 10"x10" hatch to increase circulation. I think it would have to be one or the other...you know what they say about a B.O.A.T- break out another thousand! But I rather spend my money on a hole in the water than not haha!
Roamad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keegster: Yes, please give us a pic of your “yogq pants” and rig. Laughing

Roof paint: You can also get heat-reflecting paint in white. It’s for residential roofs so dunno if it will work on fiberglass.
Keegster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roamad-

Will do tomorrow! Its good for about 30-35kts before it really starts flapping. Speed+breeze less than 35kts. Not water/rain proof but great for shade and quite.
Keegster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roamad-

Its seeming kind of difficult to post images here on the forum. PM me your email address and I can send you some pics!

Thanks!
Keegan
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keegster, Ask the moderator for an album. (the first several individuals on the C Dory owners list. (TyBoo or DaNag).

I really question that there will be that much difference with a "reflective" paint, over the white gel coat. If. you had a reflective panel over the top, with an air space, then I would buy the reduction. But in Fl, you would not see a 20* drop in cabin temp....
Keegster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Keegster&id=IMG_3061&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: