colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sending a few more in, just in case Julie is still looking! Cool They are the last couple of photos in the nested album here: http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album3251&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
-Waypoint-

City/Region: Jensen Beach, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Photos: Waypoint
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photo submitted.
clayhubler

City/Region: La Center
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Hammerhead
Photos: Hammerhead
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When are these going to be available for purchase?
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure exactly but we are trying to have them so they can be delivered before Christmas. I will post as soon as I know.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy howdy, and the 2022 C=BRAT calendars are in the process. There are still some steps to go but we are moving on them.

We had a fairly sparse submission, with 13 submitters, and 44 images sent in. There is a pre picking process, where they are checked for eligibility; Dates, image size, and clarity. After that initial check, there were 32 usable images. Then they are put on the screen and the picking process starts. WE are looking for good sharp image quality, and a good variety in boat models, not the bikini versions the boats themselves, We came a bit short this year. We have a 16-18, and CD=22 and V-23, and then some CD-25's and TC-255 TomCats. I think we actually had one boat that looked like a fisherman's boat. Most were obvious cruisers. There were some younger family representation which is great to see.

Not nearly as many photos this year, and I would be part of that is due to a somewhat less feeling of freedom to travel. I know I have been in that boat. I also did have to do some family required travel, that took me away from prime boating time here. There are some great photos and the calendar will be a nice showing of the variety of places and ways we boat from the CBGT's traditional C-Brat gatherings to some good day tripping and solo cruising and from the mountains to the white sandy beaches.

I don't know how soon they will be ready to order, but we are aiming for having them in hand before Christmas. Hang on, it's coming.

So, I know there are a lot more of you that take pictures of your boats. I am curious as to why we are getting so little participation. It could be any number of things so I am curious what the reason is that YOU didn't send any photos in. Please comment on that. I have some ideas but first I would like to hear from the group.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

jep27

City/Region: New Haven
State or Province: VT
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Lunasa
Photos: Lunasa
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking for myself, as a newer member/owner, we had a lot more photos that would have be interesting to consider.. but most all taken with our iPhone and not meeting the quality/pixel requirements.

Going forward, we'll be aware an be able to take a few more shots with our SLR for that higher density requirement.. but, in practice, we only have 1 SLR picture for every 20 iPhone pictures to select from.

I assume there's no way to deal with lower-res images.. so it maybe a matter of putting the requirements and ask out there early in the year.. so people are aware and try to get appropriate images during their season -- not just looking at what they have at the end of the season. Maybe even do a monthly/quarterly outreach .. and keep the visibility and engagement more top of mind during the season.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jep27 wrote:
Speaking for myself, as a newer member/owner, we had a lot more photos that would have be interesting to consider.. but most all taken with our iPhone and not meeting the quality/pixel requirements.
I assume there's no way to deal with lower-res images.. so it maybe a matter of putting the requirements and ask out there early in the year.. ...

There are programs that can "up-rez" an image. New AI and all that. Some are better than others. Some are even free.

Some experimentation is probably necessary.

Some choices:

https://hubgraphics.co.uk/7-best-tools-to-upscale-images/

http://a-sharper-scaling.com/

/https://www.supermonitoring.com/blog/tools-to-enlarge-images/
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
jep27 wrote:
I assume there's no way to deal with lower-res images.. so it maybe a matter of putting the requirements and ask out there early in the year.. ...

There are programs that can "up-rez" an image. New AI and all that. Some are better than others. Some are even free.

Some experimentation is probably necessary.

Some choices:

https://hubgraphics.co.uk/7-best-tools-to-upscale-images/

http://a-sharper-scaling.com/

/https://www.supermonitoring.com/blog/tools-to-enlarge-images/

Thanks for the info and those links. I am curious if you or anyone else here has any experience with any of those sites. I have a friend who uses Topaz Studio and has bumped up a few pix for me on that.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jep27 wrote:

Going forward, we'll be aware an be able to take a few more shots with our SLR for that higher density requirement.. but, in practice, we only have 1 SLR picture for every 20 iPhone pictures to select from.

I assume there's no way to deal with lower-res images.. so it maybe a matter of putting the requirements and ask out there early in the year.. so people are aware and try to get appropriate images during their season -- not just looking at what they have at the end of the season. Maybe even do a monthly/quarterly outreach .. and keep the visibility and engagement more top of mind during the season.

I have received a few comments on participation (and I emphasize FEW) but at least there are some. We had barely enough to put together a 2022 Calendar.

Quote:
For this year "We had a fairly sparse submission, with 13 submitters, and 44 images sent in. . . . there were 32 usable images."

Again, this level of participation really surprises me. Maybe we need to be looking at another avenue to showcase our year or seasons boats places and water activities. Maybe everybody is already doing their own calendar or posting everything on facebook or YouTube and the C-BRAT calendar is too much bother. (I know some times life gets in the way of what we want or can do.) This is a busy season, so for many this may just be the wrong time.

Another issue addressed is that many of us are using our phones for pictures because that is the camera we have with us. Most phone cameras have capability of producing usable images somewhere above 3MB, and many are in the 8+MB range now. If your phone photos are showing somewhere close to 1MB it may be a setting adjustment on the phone that can be addressed. Photos for print require a higher resolution than what you need for web posting (facebook or twitcher or . . .just viewing on your tablet) so since you are carrying your phone all the time, that is the best camera to use when you see that perfect opportunity for a calendar pix.

As to the timing of the announcement, I apologize for that, but new calendars for next year generally come out at the end of the current year. I will try and change a habit and next year will try and get a monthly reminder to shot for the cover of the next calendar. (Unless of course the general consensus is that we don't want/need to continue this project.) AS an aside to the calendar use, NMI is planning on including one in each new C-Dory sold this coming year. That should bump up our numbers at Lulu some and help compensate for Julie's time on the project.

I haven't heard anything from her today but I know the Lulu uploading process is going to take time and effort on her part, adding the graphics and text for the photos, so giving her some time and patience right now. We will see the results and be ready to order soon ---> is the plan.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harvey,
Just some of my own thoughts. I enjoy the calendar, but know you've mentioned the hassles with Lulu in the past. I would think there are other companies out there that could do just as good of a job, that would be easier to work with.
I take my photos with my iPhone. This year I have the 13 Pro, which has a great camera. But the past year my photos were from an iPhone 7. I've started taking more photos with the phone's camera settings, but in the past I've also used a camera app where I could lower the resolution. The lower resolution still produced the photo quality I was satisfied with, but taking up a lot less file space! I think some photos at lower resolution could still produce a "winning" photo. It's only being blown up to 8x10, so may still be acceptable.
I upload many photos to my facebook albums. An easy process. There is now a C-Brats group page on Facebook, and many folks have taken to uploading some photos there. I've even uploaded a few there. Sometimes I'll upload some to our space here in C-Brats, but it's a slow and tedious process. (I love the site, and our admins do a wonderful job maintaining it. So I'm not ragging on them, it's just reality.)
The only other issue is time. Time to go through photos, picking out the best ones, and then getting the information requested for the calendar import. (Who owns the boat, who took the photo, and their handle on here...) I uploaded about a dozen photos this year. I had the time, the inclination and what I thought were appropriate photos. And I enjoyed doing it. But I also know there is no guarantee that any of my photos will be published. That's not a deterrent to me, but could be to others.
Anyway, JMHO. Colby
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harvey,

Thank you so much for your selfless effort and the time it takes to coordinate the production of this annual C-Brats Calendar. I look at this Calendar as a Christmas gift from you to all of us C-Brats. As far as submitting photos, I think it is fun to enter with the hope that one of your submitted photos may make it into next years Calendar and to see where others have traveled with their C-Dorys.

As far as taking photos from an iPhone, it helps to zoom in a bit when taking the photo for quality of resolution. We are still using an iPhone 7.

Again, thank you Harvey for making the annual C-Dory Calendar a success along with those that submitting photos.

hardee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM C-Brats. I just received this email from Julie yesterday evening in response to a query about the calendar project status.. Thought I should pass it along so you can know where we are at with the Calendar.

Quote:
Hi Harvey,

You’re not being a pest, it’s just an overall busy time of year for me. We are in the middle of finishing up our Osprey brochure and we’ve been working on it since July. It has been all consuming for me for these past few days. I will be working on uploading the brochure tonight and tomorrow night and will hopefully be done after that. So I am still about a week and a half ahead of where I was with this last year.

I’ll give you an update tomorrow evening.

Thanks,

Julie

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

JohnnyD

City/Region: Panama City
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Gypsy Rose
Photos: Gypsy Rose
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey,
Thank you very much for your efforts on the calendar. I look at each weekday that I am in the office and love it!!!
Regards,
John

hardee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyD wrote:
Harvey,
Thank you very much for your efforts on the calendar. I look at each weekday that I am in the office and love it!!!
Regards,
John

Thank you John, but it is not really all my effort. Right now we are waiting for the Pre-production to get done at NMI as Julie is the one putting the calendar together, meaning adding the text and graphics to each photo and then uploading that to Lulu Printing, where they will actually put the ink to paper so se can order. Still hoping to get them in time so we can order for Christmas. I know we are not to high on the Priority list there, but . . . . . still waiting. I had expected to hear something this week on Tues or Wed, and I am trying not to be too much of a pest there, But If nothing by tomorrow, I will make another Squeeeek. You know how the wheel and the grease work.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Griswold

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: LUCIDITY
Photos: LUCIDITY
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: great work all involved... Reply with quote

Being the newbie to the c-brats, I haven't had my boat out enough to get photos. I wish I did but have been dealing with trailer problems since towing home. So if anyone has info on a tandem trailer for sale please PM me. New ones are 16-20 weeks out and 7-9K
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: