The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

SO WHAT DID YOU DO WITH OR ON YOUR C-DORY TODAY??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 270, 271, 272 ... 279, 280, 281  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moxieabs

City/Region: Cape Neddick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Widget
Photos: Widget
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cruised out to several islands in Frenchman Bay to "seed" the beaches for future sea glass harvesting. enjoyed 70 degree weather while it lasts.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today we picked up DayBreak from Rogers marine electronics in Portland, OR. They installed a Raymarine AIS700 Class B transceiver with GPS antenna and a Raymarine EV150 autopilot. They did a great job with the install and took us out on the river so that we could become familiar with the units.

Special thanks goes out to Harvey, SleepyC and Jay, Hunkydory with their postings on the usefulness of autopilot. Also to Steve, Pan-A-C'ya for the safety benefit of AIS.

Looking forward to testing the units out more next week.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, You are going to love it. The AIS is my favorite electronic device and really used more often than the VHF -- Really Smile Rogers is a great place and they will treat you right. I'm curious which class B system you installed?

from Wiki:
Quote:
"There are now two separate IMO specifications for Class B transceivers (aimed at lighter commercial and leisure markets): a carrier-sense time-division multiple-access (CSTDMA) system, and a system that uses SOTDMA (as in Class A). . . . . Class B "CS" (or unofficially as Class B/CS),a 2 watt, tx mode which is essentially the same as the original Class B, and the newer SOTDMA Class B "SO" system,[27] sometimes referred to as Class B/SO or Class B+ and change its rate of transmission depending on the speed the vessel is going, up to every five seconds over 23 knots, instead of the constant rate of every thirty seconds in Class B "CS".[30] Finally Class B "SO" will also broadcast at a power of 5 W instead of the previous 2 W of Class B "CS".[28][31]"

So the Class B-SO is the hybrid of A and B and has some of the advantages of A, but only half the transmit power. At any rate, either is way faster at defining and determining crossing situations or collision avoidance than MARPA on radar. Again, you ARE going to love it.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, I hope the use of the EV150 works out as well for you has it has me.

Jay

DayBreak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harvey,

We got the Raymarine E70476 transceiver with GPS antenna. Marty also put in a Vesper SP160 amplified VHF antenna splitter because Raymarine has a bulletin out that says it will do better with this splitter in conjunction with its own splitter capability. Anyway, the system works really well. Rodgers installed all the components in out of the way places which is really nice because our boat is not really all that big and we seem to have gained a lot of stuff over time. Smile
DayBreak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jay. Can't wait to use it again soon.
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Gary, You are going to love it. The AIS is my favorite electronic device and really used more often than the VHF -- Really Smile Rogers is a great place and they will treat you right. I'm curious which class B system you installed?

from Wiki:
Quote:
"There are now two separate IMO specifications for Class B transceivers (aimed at lighter commercial and leisure markets): a carrier-sense time-division multiple-access (CSTDMA) system, and a system that uses SOTDMA (as in Class A). . . . . Class B "CS" (or unofficially as Class B/CS),a 2 watt, tx mode which is essentially the same as the original Class B, and the newer SOTDMA Class B "SO" system,[27] sometimes referred to as Class B/SO or Class B+ and change its rate of transmission depending on the speed the vessel is going, up to every five seconds over 23 knots, instead of the constant rate of every thirty seconds in Class B "CS".[30] Finally Class B "SO" will also broadcast at a power of 5 W instead of the previous 2 W of Class B "CS".[28][31]"

So the Class B-SO is the hybrid of A and B and has some of the advantages of A, but only half the transmit power. At any rate, either is way faster at defining and determining crossing situations or collision avoidance than MARPA on radar. Again, you ARE going to love it.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Harvey is it the receive ais function you use the most? Any tips on how you use it? I have a vhf with ais receive I’m planning to install and tie into my Lowrance.

Thanks and congratulations Gary on the upgrade!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaelc wrote:
hardee wrote:

from Wiki:
Quote:

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Harvey is it the receive ais function you use the most? Any tips on how you use it? I have a vhf with ais receive I’m planning to install and tie into my Lowrance.

Thanks and congratulations Gary on the upgrade!

Kaelc,

Rather than continue this off down another rabbit track I started the AIS discussion (Updated) on another thread: AIS and How I Use It On SleepyC

and it is here:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?p=361080#361080

I will answer your question if detail there. Any questions ask on that thread or PM me and I will be glad to try and help.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Safetythird

City/Region: Hopkinton
State or Province: MA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a search and didn't find an answer, so I figured I might ask here.

My 16' Cruiser has no head and I want one for my wee daughter.

Anyone know if there is a model that fits under the cushion, and if so, which one it is?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a small child? I would get a plastic bucket--name the size. Put a lid on it, and a nice little seat for her...then empty in a restroom or at home when you get ashore. Some Portipotties are shorter than others. You would have to measure to find how low a "bucket" or porti potty would fit there.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Safetythird

City/Region: Hopkinton
State or Province: MA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
For a small child? I would get a plastic bucket--name the size. Put a lid on it, and a nice little seat for her...then empty in a restroom or at home when you get ashore. Some Portipotties are shorter than others. You would have to measure to find how low a "bucket" or porti potty would fit there.

I did measure and none of the ones I can find on the market seem to be low enough.

I'm hoping someone with one can chime in with what they have (assuming it's labeled).
Boater Rob

City/Region: Albany
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 18-8 Toland
Vessel Name: Sea Pony
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:20 am    Post subject: Bucket Pottie Reply with quote

We picked up a shorter than normal bucket head from Duckworks. It has a base and seat with a lid. Not sure of the height but could measure it. It worked well for with a tight space.

Rob
DayBreak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://duckworks.com/small-boat-head-system/

Great find Rob.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had two guys with much stronger arms than mine and big 110v angle grinders do a full detail on Cat O’ Mine. Over three full days, they compounded three times (removing seven years of residual dead Poli-Glow) then buffed, polished, and waxed the whole boat. 73 degrees and sunny.

What exactly did I do on our boat yesterday?

I wrote the check.

I’ll bring my remaining 1.5 qts of Poli-Glow to the Hontoon Auction. Colby will buy anything if the price is right.

Happy winter fun!

John

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except poli-goo! lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 270, 271, 272 ... 279, 280, 281  Next
Page 271 of 281

Jump to: