The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Guest dual charger
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBlalock

City/Region: Ocean/ICW
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Finale
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Guest dual charger Reply with quote

I have 2 batteries and the original Guest charger. I think it is killing my house batt. How do I test to see if the Guest is sending too much too long to the house battery?
Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Battery Charging Reply with quote

BB, Assuming the Guest "dual" charge system is operating correctly, you might check the age of the house battery. Once sulphated, the battery would continue to draw current and never reach the full charge state.
BBlalock

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I should have said I recently replaced that battery. Both are 24 Series. I replaced both maybe in May and kept having charge issues with the house. I replaced that one at least 1 time since that. No problem with the start one. As you can tell my Guest is from 2012.
I'm just wondering if I should be able to watch my Yamaha system meter to see if it is cooking the battery. After I have been running a long time shouldn't the charge show maybe 13 instead of 14+?
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use size 24 batteries, that can have either one or both be used for the house & also a dual Guest charger. The charger starts charging at +14 v, but once they are charged it maintains closer to 13 v.

Jay

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the guest chargers are not "smart chargers". A smart charger will sample the batteries' resting state voltage, and only turn on if there is a low battery (Less than 12.6 volts for instance). Ideally one would run the guest type of charger after they are through with the boat, (outboards generally don't keep the charge up to 100%). Then the battery would be turned off.

Ideally a battery charger should come only a few hours a day. One way to affect this is to use a timer on the power input into the boat. (Or buy a smart charger--which are for the most part more expensive.). This may be the best course if you are leaving the boat where it may get water in the cockpit and the battery must be constantly maintained to be sure that the bilge pump is suppled with adequate 12 volt power.

If there are no parasitic drains (such as a radio, voltage charge relay or GPS memory), then the battery should not loose it charge except thru a minimal natural attrition of about 4% of charge a week. For example my battery on the Caracal Cat is turned off between uses, and even after several months, the battery is at a state to start the outboard easily. Generally I'll put a charger on one day a month.

AGM batteries have a lower self discharge rate of 1 to 2% a month, and the LI batteries are even lower than that.

I like to measure the state of charge with a Victron 702 or 712 meter. However when I was experimenting with a cheaper set up to use liFePO4 batteries in a SUV or truck for a cross country trip to power a chest freezer, I found this Battery monitor for about $42/. There cheaper ones out there, but I have not tried them (some require a manual reset and are fine for one experiment, but not for continuous use.)

Also Victron has a "smart Shunt" which is considerably less than the 712 monitor. This relies on a smart phone to read the information of state of charge. amps in and out, and voltage.

These monitors tell you not only the voltage, but the state of charge, amps in and out etc.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
BBlalock

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it appears I can test the Guest by using my smart charger to get the battery up to 100%. Then plug in power to the boat and check to see if the Guest drops the voltage to storage amount. If my meter shows 13+ across the terminals then the Guest is cooking the house battery?
I'm planning to replace that 9 year old unit anyway but want to make sure it is the problem first.
When I bought Finale I was told the Guest would check the start battery first and charge if necessary then move on to the house and charge if necessary and then go into storage mode. It sounds like you guys are saying that isn't correct. Am I right on that? CoolSmile
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guest which is likely a 2007 shows when it is charging and maintaining for both batteries. I believe it does both simultaneously. Yes I think the best way to test is when it goes into the "green" light charged mode is to check to see if its in a maintain or a charge state. Hope you get it figured out.
BBlalock

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to replace it for sure. Just like knowing if I am accomplishing anything while replacing.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"I have 2 batteries and the original Guest charger. . . . "

And I do too, although I have not used the Guest in about 10 years or more. In storage I use a small BatteryMinder (brand) trickle charger for each battery. They do a "desulfating" cycle every so many cycles. I don't think they are smart chargers (probably for sure not) but my last batteries lasted 6 years and were still 90 - 95 percent when I changed them out. (I have been using them on the boat batteries, the Motorcycle and the truck or car for about 10 years. Have not replaced the car battery yet. Only have had the truck for a couple years and it had a new battery when I got it.

I have considered taking the Battery Minders with me to use IF I go into a marina just for topping off, But I do that so seldom, and for such short times that it has not been an issue.

I would like to go to a new, smart charger but everything I have seen needs to go into a non exposed environment --- instead of under the splashwell.

Oh, the batteries are FLA Interstate RV Marine deep cycle.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
... I would like to go to a new, smart charger but everything I have seen needs to go into a non exposed environment --- instead of under the splashwell. ...

I have a ProMariner ProNautic 1215P charger. Seems to be pretty capable. The company also makes chargers that can go in wet areas.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have killed, and known many more people, that have killed a battery with the best of intentions. Old chargers generally give too many amps to a battery and never really shut off. The batteries eventually get tired of that, run low on water, crystallization occurs in the cells, and then they are goners. I have a charger like that in my motorhome. If that is what you're dealing with, then once month charging is probably enough, that is unless you have a bunch of stuff taking power. In the boat, I just turn the batteries off and walk away because I don't have anything that can't shut off. New multistage stuff is far better tech.
jrassier

City/Region: Dauphin Island
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2021
Vessel Name: Sandy Bottom
Photos: Howler
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the Shunt Bob mentions for one season (AiLi-Voltmeter-Ammeter) So far it has preformed well monitoring SOC on a single 100Ah LiFePo4 battery It is accurate to .01 V compared with readings taken with a Fluke 87 multi meter.
"87" S2 27 Shannon "02"- "2016"
BBlalock

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I'm going to allow myself to sound dumb, but here goes. I have been reading and watching videos concerning chargers and multi battery set ups.
Question: Is my Guest charger doing any charging while underway?
I seldom hook up shore power to the boat. I do not store the boat with shore power. I have the Perko 2 position switch and I see what I think is a battery isolator on the bulkhead by the house battery. The house battery is the one that seems to keep having issues. I think I normally run on position 1(house), not the ALL position.
I do not have a generator and in 4 years have spent only 1 night on the hook. We have used shore power for AC maybe 14 nights. I don't run the charger and AC at the same time.
Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated. Remember, be nice.
Smile
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBlalock wrote:
Ok I'm going to allow myself to sound dumb, but here goes. I have been reading and watching videos concerning chargers and multi battery set ups.
Question: Is my Guest charger doing any charging while underway?
I seldom hook up shore power to the boat. I do not store the boat with shore power. I have the Perko 2 position switch and I see what I think is a battery isolator on the bulkhead by the house battery. The house battery is the one that seems to keep having issues. I think I normally run on position 1(house), not the ALL position.
I do not have a generator and in 4 years have spent only 1 night on the hook. We have used shore power for AC maybe 14 nights. I don't run the charger and AC at the same time.
Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated. Remember, be nice.
Smile

The battery charger needs AC power to charge the batteries. The motor should be providing DC power to recharge the batteries when underway. However, depending on your engine and how much time you spend at low speed, you may not be getting that much power into the batteries. Newer engines have bigger alternators. On my BF90D there is a big difference in the power available to charge the batteries from the engine between idle and cruising speed (~18mph). Also, the engine can provide lots more amps to the battery than the Quest charger did. A battery charger is convenient when you have AC power, but the engine does a much better job charging the batteries.

I guess the question would be, what issues are you having with the battery? I operate on one (the house) battery most of the time. The second battery is only used (paralleled to the house) when starting the engine after a night on the hook with services on (fans, lights, fridge, etc.). I will often run the engine at 1K rpm for about 20-30 minutes before retiring to give some juice to the house battery when anchored out. Having a battery monitor helps manage the battery.

After 4 years or so, the house battery gets replaced.

If you FLA batteries you should check the water level from time to time. My batteries are in the lazarette so checking the water involves taking the batteries out of the compartment. This is a PITA and means the water level does not get checked as often as it should. The first time I checked them, I was surprised at the low water level.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine alternator generally will charge up the batteries to about 80%. That last 10% is with a absorption and float on the 110 V shore power charge.

That said--many outboard owners never put their batteries on a charger. The Guest chargers on the C Dory as made two top off the batteries. If you are using multiple 12 volt items, even with the charger on lets say 5 amps per battery, it may not keep up with "house loads"

The battery switch is dumb--it only connects two batteries or isolates them. If you are running with the engine and battery switch is on house, then you are not charging that house battery. You will only be starting the engine starting battery. The best solution is to use a Automatic voltage Relay AVR or Voltage sensitive relay, VSR. They are the same thing. This is put on the start battery as primary source. Once it is charged to a certain voltage, then the house battery is paralleled and charges also. Not expensive and easy to install. All boats should have them.

If you don't have a VSR you should start on the engine start battery, Then in about 10 minutes put the switch on "All". Switch to #2 when you stop and use the boat,. This makes sure that the start battery is not depleted.

The Honda 90's alternators put out only 17 amps until about 2007, when then went to about 40 amps. The engine's electric needs take part of that charge.

Solution: as above, after 10 minutes switch batteries to "All" all current switches have "make before break" and thus protect the alternator. If you want the best, easiest and safest, put in an VSR.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: