The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Hull cleaning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zuunami

City/Region: Fort Bragg
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Oh Buoy!
Photos: zuunami
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Hull cleaning Reply with quote

Very new to us 2006 16' cruiser was left in the saltwater too long Smile I've tried using CLR on the bottom of the hull, and it works, but tedious. Anyone have any preferences about what to use to take off those heavy bottom mineral deposits? It's also very oxidized, especially the green strip and bottom, going to start with Meguiar's Oxidation Remover, but anyone have other products they love? thanks in advance, soon I'll be able to more easily navigate the site to find the right past posts Smile
And, I hope I've properly uploaded this photo of a portion of the hull Smile
[http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=zuunami&id=K01_1631&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php][/img]

zuunami

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me try that image insert one more time... Smile
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That appears to me to be barnacle bottom plates. They produce a glue which is as tough as any man made adhesive.

Start with fairly mild acids: Oxalic Acid is one I use. You go to a paint store and get a life time supply for about $20. Lowes and Home Depot should have the powder. Make a saturated solution.

Phosphoric acid is next on the scale. Barnacle Buster These both take some time, you have to soak the calcium to get it off of the gel coat.

Use some of the mildly abrasive scotch mesh pads. Just put pressure on the barnacle plate, not the gel coat.

As a last resort: use muriatic acid. This is powerful stuff--it is a very acid material. I use a respirator, full body suit and head of tyvex, and heavy vinyl or nitric gloves. In other words you don't want to breath the fumes or get the material on the eyes or skin!

The nuclear option is: You can take them off with a scraper. You can sand them off. But that is damaging to the underlying gel coat.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
zuunami

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, Bob, yes I've seen Oxalic Acid in a lot of products. For the powder, what do you mean by a saturated solution? We use muriatic acid to shine up abalone shells, tho unfortunately not with as much protective gear as you - we wouldn't want to try this on the dory, it sits on concrete pavers in the driveway and I'm afraid they would melt Smile I assume the "barnacle bottom plates" aren't going to continue to grow if we don't get them off in the next day?

and I guess it wouldn't be a good idea to do bottom paint until we get that cleared off Smile

thanks again
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zuunami wrote:
thanks, Bob, yes I've seen Oxalic Acid in a lot of products. For the powder, what do you mean by a saturated solution? We use muriatic acid to shine up abalone shells, tho unfortunately not with as much protective gear as you - we wouldn't want to try this on the dory, it sits on concrete pavers in the driveway and I'm afraid they would melt Smile I assume the "barnacle bottom plates" aren't going to continue to grow if we don't get them off in the next day?

and I guess it wouldn't be a good idea to do bottom paint until we get that cleared off Smile

thanks again

Saturated solution is to add crystals until no more dissolve.

Hmm, never tried muriatic acid on abs...but they used to be plentiful in S.Calif. We kept a few big shells. No you don't want muriatic acid on the pavers. I have also seen it discolor dark gel coats.

The foot plate will not increase in size. You want to get all of those off the boat before bottom paint. However I do recommend coats of epoxy to give an osmotic barrier before bottom painting. Not 100% necessary, but it will be a major step to stop osmotic blistering.
zuunami

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks! Now, if this supposed fishing town only had a lift! Considering taking off one bunk at a time, that should be interesting. Or buying our own lift Smile
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 16 is light enough that using cribbing (or even concrete blocks with wood over, you can jack the boat up high enough to get between the bunks and the hull. Use safety precautions, and never put any body part between the boat and a bunk or support.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: