The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Fuel Efficiency...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murky Dregs

City/Region: Bronx
State or Province: NY
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Fuel Efficiency... Reply with quote

Is the short of it that nothing in their class, meaning C-Dory, gets even remotely as good mpg @ speed?

I've looked at Rangers, Rosborough, etc.. It looks as if everything is a gas guzzler compared to C-Dory.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. I have heard of concern from C-Dory owners that with the increase of fuel prices, maybe they should sell their vessel. If you love boating, I would think that today's prices would want to make you keep your C-Dory all the more. Perhaps you will have to cut down in some areas of spending to budget for buying fuel but that would be a good sacrifice to continue on the water doing what you enjoy.
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, when I run close to a couple hundred kms fishing in a weekend I feel like complaining then I go for a ride in my buddies Boston whaler conquest and I shut up. I think there are comparable boats out there but it is so tough to replicate and compare the benneto ANTARES 8 and others might be close in speed and mpg. The nice thing is if we slow down and smell the roses oilur mpg goes up. Sometimes it pays to have autopilot
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"The nice thing is if we slow down and smell the roses oilur mpg goes up. Sometimes it pays to have autopilot."

Absolutely. Love my AP, and smelling the roses.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did most of our cruising this summer at hull speed and at most 25% of the time we pushed the throttle to get up to plane speed when we wanted to make time in some of the longer fjords on Vancouver island. Almost a month of cruising on about 340 litres fuel, That's less than 100 gallons for the American's. When we were cruising in Nootka Sound we were watching sport fishermen in their Bayliner's and Kingfishers constantly passing us at high speed with 250 HP motors to try this or that fishing hole. I don't know what is more important, high speed boating or fishing, but they were doing both. I am sure that many of these boats would use more fuel in a weekend than we would in a week or two. The fuel for my boat was one of the cheapest parts of my trip to Vancouver Island this year. The great thing about a C-Dory is that it can take you to a lot of great places on the water with very little fuel. I don't plan to sell mine anytime soon and an upgrade my be farther away than I thought it would be.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
Murky Dregs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaelc wrote:
the ANTARES 8 and others might be close in speed and mpg

That is a gorgeous little boat. That cockpit is amazing, and the smartness of the space allocation...

I'd like to know more about these.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure, the C-Dorys are very fuel efficient compared to most other on plain capable boats, however that doesn’t mean that cost for a cruise such as we make to SE Alaska isn’t noticeably more, when fuel prices go up, as much as they have, since our last cruise there in 2018. Fuel cost including that for towing to launch at destination & cruise has always been by far, the most expensive item for all our cruises other then boat related parts having to be replaced. On a average trip to & cruise in SE Alaska between the boat & tow truck we will use 750 gal of combined diesel & gas, so the difference between fuel prices changing up or down of $1 per gal can mean a difference of $1500 for the trip with our overall average cost of 8 SE Alaska cruises per trip being $3000 for fuel. The total other cost of these trips, which were between 6 weeks & a three month time period, were not more than about $600 not including food, which is about the same whether at home or on a trip as food staples are Cosco & we seldom eat out. The Marinas are very inexpensive compared to most anywhere else & the majority of nights are spent at anchorage or free docks. Not a single night in a motel & the road trip night spots free with exception of a very few stays in Canada Provincial Parks. Overall prices would have have to go up much higher than now to not get ones moneys worth as any one of all of our extended SE Alaska cruises would be considered a trip of a lifetime for many boaters. Making fuel prices much easier to handle for us is having the boat, tow truck & all other items used for the trips payed off long ago & new items payed for at time of purchase.

As Daybreak suggest, if we would have been on any comparable boat to our CD22 with a deep V, the fuel cost would have been much more to start & the increase much more over the time period we have cruised our boat. Our original choice of the CD22 for the boating we love to do has been one of our best life’s choices.

Jay

bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion on boating has never changed.

If you love boating but do not like today's gas prices, get a sail boat. If you want to go faster with less manual work to do on deck, get a power boat. If gas prices are a concern, get rid of power boat. Take up sailing or quit boating.
For most of us C-Brats, owning a boat is a luxury. If a person can not afford a luxury of any description, then you know what the alternatives are.

Personally I like Harvey's approach. Boat at hull displacement speed, 5 or 6 knots. Only gun the engine(s) to get out of a sticky situation like medical emergency or impending bad weather.

Martin.
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murky Dregs wrote:
kaelc wrote:

That is a gorgeous little boat. That cockpit is amazing, and the smartness of the space allocation...

For my tastes, the Antares 8, while kind of cool looking boat, isn't that much like a C-Dory. The Antares website doesn't appear to give me the information I'm most interested in (for instance particulars on draft, deadrise and hull shape), but what I can see or infer makes me think it's not my kind of boat. (Other websites sites indicate 20 degree deadrise at the stern and draft of 2 1/2 ft.) For starters: 250 Hp to go 40 MPH vs. 90 Hp to go 30 MPH tells you something about likely fuel efficiency at, say, 20 MPH - or at 5 MPH, for that matter. It all depends on what you're looking for, but I also think I know which boat I'd rather be on for an extended cruise, based on cabin layout and amenities.

Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concepts of boating and fuel economy do not easily comingle.

Ah-ha. What about sailbotes since the wind is free?

Yes, wind is free. Sails are not.

Aye.

Easyvictor.14

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Easy Victor
Photos: Easy Victor
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s the answer I think you're looking for.
My 2008 23 Venture with a Suzuki DF 150 burns 5 ga per hour at 20-22 mph.
This is at cruising weights, full water and a fair amount of stuff. That’s 4mpg or slightly better at about 300% faster than most displacement trawlers.
I’ve owned a lot of boats, but none that cruise as efficiently and carry all my gear like the C Dory.

1981 T Craft 26 center console
1981 Silverton 34
1979 Chapparal 187
Many, many other small aluminum, wood and fiberglass toys!!!
ssilver

City/Region: Albany NY
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Pearly Shell
Photos: Pearly Shell
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found this site is pretty accurate for my Suzuki 90 and bet it will be for the other outboards as well.

https://www.boat-fuel-economy.com/suzuki-outboard-fuel-consumption-us-gallons
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Murky Dregs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NORO LIM wrote:
Murky Dregs wrote:
kaelc wrote:

For my tastes, the Antares 8, while kind of cool looking boat, isn't that much like a C-Dory. The Antares website doesn't appear to give me the information I'm most interested in (for instance particulars on draft, deadrise and hull shape), but what I can see or infer makes me think it's not my kind of boat. (Other websites sites indicate 20 degree deadrise at the stern and draft of 2 1/2 ft.) For starters: 250 Hp to go 40 MPH vs. 90 Hp to go 30 MPH tells you something about likely fuel efficiency at, say, 20 MPH - or at 5 MPH, for that matter. It all depends on what you're looking for, but I also think I know which boat I'd rather be on for an extended cruise, based on cabin layout and amenities.

thanks for the answer. I'm not at the point where I can deduce that kind of information at a glance.
Murky Dregs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easyvictor.14 wrote:
Here’s the answer I think you're looking for.
My 2008 23 Venture with a Suzuki DF 150 burns 5 ga per hour at 20-22 mph.
This is at cruising weights, full water and a fair amount of stuff. That’s 4mpg or slightly better at about 300% faster than most displacement trawlers.
I’ve owned a lot of boats, but none that cruise as efficiently and carry all my gear like the C Dory.

It's as if there's no contest in the 22'-26' range.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: