The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Tom Cat 255 vs 25' Cruiser

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carsons_11@yahoo.com

City/Region: Highland Village
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Tom Cat 255 vs 25' Cruiser Reply with quote

If you could have either, not considering cost, which one would you choose and why?

Thanks
djy887

City/Region: Bainbridge Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Still un-named (yeah, I know)
Photos: djy887
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a cost thing after looking at a few late model 255's for sale that lead us to put a factory order in for a new 25' Cruiser. Before the build started, we got lucky and stumbled into a TC24 one Sunday morning. Didn't realize it at the time, but it turns out for me, its all about the amazing ride on a cat...smooth, flat, and fast. Not sure I would go back to a monohull if I was to chose again.
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. We use our Tomcat for diving. The stability makes it easier to gear up without the boat rocking. I'll never buy a monohull again.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the 255 is more stable and will have a much better ride when the chop is less than 2 to 2 1/2 feet. The Tom Cat 255 is definitely faster.

The neg of the 255 is that the boat sits too deep in the water and at displacement speeds you are dragging the aft end of the bridge deck in the water. This is due to the hulls on the TC 24 and 255 being the same, but more weight on the 255, puts the boat below the intended lines.

The forward berth is considerably larger and easier access (Considering one partner may have to crawl over the other in the middle of the night.). Other than the bunk there are minimal differences in the layout between the 255 and 25. The cockpit will be slightly bigger in the 255, and there is a solid transom...

If you are going to do mostly displacement speeds, then the C Dory 25 might have an edge. Also the C Dory 25 is several thousand lbs lighter than the 255.

Then there is the cost.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not considering cost? Hands down going with the TC. Much bigger Cockpit. Smoother ride. Higher top end speed. You'll need at least a diesel F250 or equivilent to tow it. If I went back to boating, it would be another Catamaran, probably a TomCat.

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If money was no object a new tomcat, but if time and reliability was the goal than the 25. It’s marginal the difference but if you want to know your systems be able do the work yourself the additional pumps, double engines, dual controls all take up time to learn and maintain as they get older. I also imagine the extra weight when putting it on the trailer, handling it on the dock matters but neither are small boats so you have to work smart and have a strong back.

I almost bought an old tcmcat but the time to get it ship shape as well as the money would have been were too much. I don’t think I’ll ever buy a tomcat unless one comes up for a great deal and is somehow better outfitted, the transaction costs as far as taxes and rigging are steep in Canada and the space difference seems marginal.

You can’t go wrong with either one but the stability and speed and, yes to counter argument myself, the reliability of two large engines(for offshore) make the tomcat the winner.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saying that money is not in the equation is just a dream.We all buy things based on money. Or or I'd have a 27' Skagit, or even a Glacier Bay.

Remember the cost of two motors including maintenance, the cost of the tow vehicle and the cost of the boat itself? Aren't those major factors in any trailerable boat purchase?

I'm willing to concede that a 255 gives a better ride and has better sleeping quarters, but an overriding concept is money. One can't ignore it. Especially for people who look at C-Dorys that are 25 years old. I congratulate those who buy a 255. Unfortunately I'm not one.

Boris
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be a very easy choice for me. The 25. If you want to cruise fast & smooth the Tomcat 255 wins by far, on the other hand if wanting to spend the majority of time at displacement speed to extend range & just enjoy slipping through the water, while able to really enjoy your surroundings like us, while still having the choice, when wanting or needing to go at a moderate speed on plane, then it’s the 25.

On our 2015 joint summer cruise in SE Alaska with Brent Dixie, we were able to observe the Tomcat 255 & with all its wonderful other attributes, it did have a major fault & that being torturous in chop at displacement speed. A 22 & 25 are not good doing this either, but on this trip, while conditions, where we in the 22, were just a bit uncomfortable, the waves would slam in between the hulls on the 255 & blow up & over the top, time & time again. Of course they could & did a few times get up on plane & scoot up ahead. We have also found many times ocean conditions require a speed between displacement & plane to be the most comfortable, which in a 22 or 25 with trim tabs & permatrim is hardly noticeable, where the Tomcat 255 has a much longer mph range between displacement & plane & doesn’t do as well at the intermediate speed.

On that 2015 cruise, one of our more memorable days was a day shared with Brent & Dixie on the Tomcat going up & back, the 100 miles from Petersburg to the Leconte Glacier. The ride was so smooth & stable it hardly seemed like we were in a boat, but I was a little taken back, when Brent fueled up on the return to Petersburg & the fuel cost for the trip was $200.

Jay

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...kind of like asking "If money were no object would you rather have a VW bus or a Porsche?" Kind of depends on what you want to do, doesn't it? Each one is good at something the other is not. I like Jay's answer. We would not have wanted to have a TC 255 for the Great Loop, where the object was not to get anywhere fast but to enjoy the cruising!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll keep the Porsche for another nine years!

4 blade cheap aluminum 17 pitch props will keep a TC255 on top of small craft advisory slop without sneezing.

If we leave you behind, then as Capt Quint observed, "You need a bigger boat!"

Cheers to Your Choice! Have Fun!

John

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned a 22 and now a 25. I thought about the Tomcat, but here are a few things I've heard about and don't like. These are pretty much the deal breakers for me.

- It's heavier and sits a lot higher on the trailer, so you'll definitely need more than a half ton to tow it.
- I've heard that while it beats the 22 and 25 in chop 3' or less, once you get more than that you're better off in a 22 or 25 and going slow. Reasoning I've heard has something to do with the tunnel slapping the waves and the ride is no longer smooth in that Tomcat.

Again, I have not personally owned a Tomcat, nor have I even ever ridden in one. OTOH, I have high regard for the 22, and still getting use to the 25.

Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: