The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Mounting battery: Drilling into the floor...?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roamad

City/Region: Isleton
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Photos: Roamad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Mounting battery: Drilling into the floor...? Reply with quote

I’m installing a new battery on my 1988 16’ C-Dory Angler on the floor back near the transom on the starboard side. I’ll need to mount it to the floor, obviously, and there is no mount there to start with that I’m aware of. Can anyone give me advice about the best way to mount a battery in this location? Should I drill into the floor, and if so, how to do that safely?
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to do it has been discussed many times here. Basically, over drill a hole and fill it with epoxy thickened with cabosil, chopped glass fiber, or wood dust. I used 1/2 inch as my over drill. Don't worry too much about going through the bottom of the boat. The inner layer is fairly thin, then the bit just drops through the balsa core and hits the much thicker bottom layer. STOP and fill.
Then countersink in that for your screws that hold the battery box. More detail in other posts.

I moved my batteries forward as part of repairing the damage done by the original battery mounted wrong under the splash well (causing water intrusion and core damage). I'm not sure that there is any place to move the battery on the Angler model. But getting weight out of the rear is generally a good thing on the 16.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Roamad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco: That sounds scary. I’ll search prior posts for more ideas.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco is correct. This is the best way to attach a screw directly.

You also can epoxy a block of plastic (such as PVC lumber or Starboard HDPE) or a piece of wood to the inner floor. Then attach the hold downs to this piece of plastic or wood.

Starboard does not glue well, so I would sand the paint off the inner surface of the floor, to get to good glass. Then put the block of material in place, with a weight on it. If you need to hot glue will hold the block in place until the glue sets up.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
zuunami

City/Region: Fort Bragg
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Oh Buoy!
Photos: zuunami
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo - can you direct me to any posts about moving the batteries forward on the 16' cruiser? I seem to have a hard time doing the right search criteria to get to where I want to Smile We just bought a 16' cruiser, and would like to move some weight off of the back, and get the batteries away from any water that runs toward the back. thanks in advance!
Roamad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I’m scared by this idea of drilling into the floor is that my boat is in the water fulltime and I don’t have a trailer. So I may go with the epoxy trick. Or maybe move the battery forward to the cuddy. Rolling Eyes
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zuunami wrote:
Marco Flamingo - can you direct me to any posts about moving the batteries forward on the 16' cruiser? I seem to have a hard time doing the right search criteria to get to where I want to Smile We just bought a 16' cruiser, and would like to move some weight off of the back, and get the batteries away from any water that runs toward the back. thanks in advance!

Moving my batteries was part of several larger projects and a desire to get the boat balanced, so I didn't photo it as a separate project. My boat came with two batteries and two 6-gallon gas tanks under the splash well.

There are a couple of pictures in my photo album under "Modifications - Espar D2 heater install" (pics 11,12,14). I didn't go into much detail about the repositioning, so here's a little more. My batteries are strapped down to an Azek shelf in shallow battery boxes. The terminals have covers and the cables are fused. Because they share the under seat space with a little diesel tank for the heater, they are basically jam fitted under the seat box. The original 1-2-Both switch is aft in the cubby by the splash well.

Moving batteries means using fairly large cable in order to get sufficient juice to the outboard for starting. It might require even larger cable on the Angler where the run would be 10 feet (round trip) longer. I don't remember the size offhand, but I looked up the amperage needed for my Yamaha 50 and bought the cable (and fused) accordingly. I went cheap on cable, which was my biggest expenditure on the project, sourcing it from Tractor Supply, so it is not "marine" tinned copper. I use a hydraulic crimper, then solder, then silicon coated shrink tubing to seal the end terminals. More work, but 1/2 the cost of the fancy cable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zuunami wrote:
Marco Flamingo - can you direct me to any posts about moving the batteries forward on the 16' cruiser? I seem to have a hard time doing the right search criteria to get to where I want to Smile . . .

Use the Search Box in the upper left of the page (or you can domain-limit and further refine your own search in Google Advanced Search) and look for something like: moving batteries 16

Here are a few of the hits you will get:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=21541
http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=3984
http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=25105&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=5a89eaff2a736800349ea4b34f0a2d46
http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?p=99775&sid=528e1a79c2d7a9eee51494028389367e

zuunami

City/Region: Fort Bragg
Vessel Name: Oh Buoy!
Photos: zuunami
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks so much! sounds like there are some downsides, but will check out these links Smile
Vanadams

City/Region: Lebanon
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Osprey
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Securing batteries to floor Reply with quote

I used weld mount and glued my battery brackets to the floor. Works well
Roamad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Securing batteries to floor Reply with quote

Vanadams wrote:

Is this the Weld Mount you are referring to?

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/weld-mount-systems

And do you think it would work for a fuel tank?

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Securing batteries to floor Reply with quote

Vanadams wrote:

Did you attach the mounts to the gelcoat or did you grind down the surface?
Vanadams

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:11 am    Post subject: weld mount Reply with quote

I applied the weld mount directly to the gelcoat and its working well. I also glued brackets to hold the gas tanks. It is strong stuff if you follow the directions and easy to use
Vanadams

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's the weld mount from Fisheries. I got the tube which has a plunger and dispenses the weld mount in two rows so you get proper mixture. Stir that together and apply to back of brackets and press in place
Vanadams

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are different types of weld mount as you will see, read the specs and make sure you get one that works on the boat floor and not one specific to metal or a particular substrate. You would get a stronger bond sanding down the gelcoat but mine is working fine without doing that
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: