The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

new battery switch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Wolfe

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: new battery switch Reply with quote

Here is a couple pictures of the upgrade I did on my battery switches. I installed the new switches inside the battery locker (lazaret?) with new 50 amp breaker and also replace all wiring all the way to the fuse panel behind the helm station. Notice I went up a few sizes on the wiring. While I was at it, I also replace the lazaret cover as well. I've been pretty happy with the change so far.

Previous switches

sparkle; Ericson 25 CB 2008-2012
Sculpin; Drascombe Drifter 2005-2008
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a nice job! Looks great. One thing that impresses me is that you don't have a bunch of wires directly attached to the battery posts (or the switch lugs for that matter). I presume you are using buses.
C-Wolfe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smckean (Tosca) wrote:
What a nice job! Looks great. One thing that impresses me is that you don't have a bunch of wires directly attached to the battery posts (or the switch lugs for that matter). I presume you are using buses.

Thanks.
The original layout was quite messy (and corroded), so I try to improve on it. My main goal was to have as few connection period and as few as possible expose to the elements. that was the raison to move the switches inside the locker, and yes I use bus bar inside the cabin and a bigger fuse block. I do have the aft bilge pump directly wire to one battery, the mid ship pump is connected to the fuse block so it is not power when the switches are turn off. I do keep the boat on the trailer with the plug off so I'm not to concern with the only one pump always on.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to put covers on the positive terminals (at least). The CG will flag your setup if they do a check.
C-Wolfe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
Need to put covers on the positive terminals (at least). The CG will flag your setup if they do a check.

Thanks, will do. What are you guys using as battery post cover
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Wolfe wrote:
ssobol wrote:

Thanks, will do. What are you guys using as battery post cover

I use these https://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-sea-systems--cablecap-stud-insulator-fits-3-0-4-0-cable-1-pack-red--P009_273_004_011?pCode=215055&cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-GSC%3ENonB%3EVendors-_-215055&product_id=215055&creative=504966948443&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQiAkNiMBhCxARIsAIDDKNU8JNGGlD-qo_F7lugses5286Qze2BhW8xkHpldvJESza3-oNdZnAcaAnzkEALw_wcB
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good! Did you replace the sea dog breaker? Mine was tripping constantly without fully tripping the mechanism, not sure if the cause but the blue seas replacement has worked flawlessly, one scared mystery solved!
C-Wolfe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaelc wrote:
Looking good! Did you replace the sea dog breaker? Mine was tripping constantly without fully tripping the mechanism, not sure if the cause but the blue seas replacement has worked flawlessly, one scared mystery solved!

I did replace everything to include main breaker, the one fuse holder for the bilge pump and batteries. The aft bilge pump is also new as they was none there before. The mid ship pump (located inside the cabin right below the door) did work on manual but the internal float switch was stuck, or not functioning so I had to replace this one also. The few wire that I replace/inspect/replace connector from inside the cabin did not have any corrosion in them so I decided to stop there for now. With the exception of the one bilge pump, I rerouted everything that was connecting to the batteries or main switch in the cockpit to the main fuse holder inside the cabin. All lug/connector outside (and most inside) have dielectric grease apply over the connector and 2 layer of glued shrink tubing with the hope that will outlast the previous setup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: