The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Towing a CD22 with a 2005 Honda Odyssey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nscogin

City/Region: Washington DC/Wareham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dawn Treader
Photos: Dawn Treader
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Towing a CD22 with a 2005 Honda Odyssey Reply with quote

Has anyone towed their 22 with an Odyssey? The 2005 has a towing capacity of 3500 with the coolers, which I would have to add. Not sure what that would cost. I realize the CD 22 would need to be empty of fuel to make it light enough, but wonder how it would pull, etc.

I appreciate any help you experts can give this novice.

Norma Scogin
C-Brat Wannabe
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norma-

The CD-22 weighs at least 2600 and more often about 3000 lbs when loaded up with motors, misc. gear, electronics, fuel, water, etc. Add to that a 1000 to 1300 lb trailer, and we have at least 3600 to 4300+ lb tow load.

But the real test is not what you can tow, but whether you can stop the towed rig in a panic, or go downhill on a grade and stay in control.

It also makes a great deal of difference whether we're talking about towing the boat down to the ramp a few miles accross town, or over mountainous terrain.

I'm not familiar with the Odyssey, but think you're cutting it pretty thin.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To tow 3500 lbs Honda "Requires surge-type or electric trailer brakes, load-distribution hitch and transmission- and power steering-fluid coolers".

At freeway speeds you may get a lot of sway and as Joe has said you are cutting it too thin. You will cut the life of your Van by pushing it so much. If you want to keep the Honda, get another vehicle to tow the boat, even if it is used one.

I think you will be surprised how much it will cost to modify your Van and how inexpensive a used vehicle, capable of towing your boat will be.

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:20 am; edited 1 time in total
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Dave, that is too heavy a boat to tow with the Honda. Go buy an old Half ton truck or a Suburban for $1500 and only use it for towing. You will be much happier in the long run and much safer besides.
nscogin

City/Region: Washington DC/Wareham
State or Province: MA
Vessel Name: Dawn Treader
Photos: Dawn Treader
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. The numbers I got on weight are a bit lower than what Joe has cited. I'm not sure if my info is correct.

I have a brother-in-law who can tow it for me the short distances that I need to go, just to put it in the water at the beginning of the season and take it out again at the end. I was just wondering if it was worth upgrading the Odyssey to allow me the option of towing.

Thanks for the input.
M1911

City/Region: Framingham, MA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Odyssey is front-wheel drive. The slope of the ramp and the weight on the trailer hitch transfer weight away from the drive wheels. That would not help traction...
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I peroidically tow my C Dory 22 with a Honda Pilot (the Pilot does have a higher towing capacity(4500 lbs for a boat)--due to the construction of the "frame"). My pilot has all wheel drive--when necessary, but no problem getting the boat out of the water. The tongue weight of the boat puts weight on the rear wheels. The front wheels are on a dryer part of the ramp. The V6 has plenty of power (tow out of overdrive). Stoping power is not a problem with adequate disc brakes on the trailer. Generally we tow the C Dory with a one ton van or a 20 foot motorhome, which has a 5,000 lb towing capacity. The C dory as we tow it weighs about 4200 lbs, including the trailer.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
DodgeRam

City/Region: Vancouver Isl. CANADA
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: SeaRam
Photos: SeaRam
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob is right, a 22' + trailer with a weight of at least 4100 to 4500 lb., than add passengers to your vehicle with fuel. I know some will say I have no problem pulling the boat up the ramp because I have a lot of power a big V-6. Some of the 4 cyl. vehicle have over 235 HP stock. I wouldn't want to pull my boat with that. Remember sooner or later you will have to make a panick stop , that's where safety comes first. I think it is better to have a tow vehicle that is higher rated for your tow. Remember, that most accidents happen 3 miles form where you live. Sooner or later you will have to slam your brakes.
Hoop

City/Region: Friday Harbor, WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Spaniel
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norma, One of the best resources for answering towing questions is TrailerBoats Magazine. They publish an annual towing guide that is jam packed with great information.
http://www.trailerboats.com/output.cfm?id=944551

Towing always requires careful consideration of not just the weight of the towed load, but also of the combined gross vehicle weight capacity of the towing vehicle. And has been mentioned above, the critical part of towing is stopping!

flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tow capacity includes the weight of the occupants in the vehicle. It would probably pull it short distances but it would be hard on it for sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: