The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

1984 c-dory 18 with enclosed pilothouse?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcauliffesean

City/Region: Wilmington
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Photos: mcauliffesean
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: 1984 c-dory 18 with enclosed pilothouse? Reply with quote

Hi,
I am new to the forum and just put a deposit on a 1984 c-dory 18. I have searched and I am not finding a lot of info on this model other than they are rare. I have wanted a c-dory as long as I can remember and I am excited to pick her up on Monday. Any info on this boat would be great and a heads up for anything I should watch out for on this model. It has an enclosed pilothouse with a door and it is rigged with a 2004 70hp engine. From what I can see they only made around 14 of these but not much info out there.
Thanks,
Sean

[/img]
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, I think, especially if this is the one you have been looking for.

Do you have a valid Hull Identification Number? That might be a place to start.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean-

Hi, and welcome to the C-Brats!

The one person who in my memory owned a C-Dory 18 here on this site was Patrick Byrd, also known as Byrdman.

Drop him an email (as opposed to a Private Message) and ask him to direct your research here and/or specific questions.

Here is his album on his 18 (since sold): C-Byrd

1) Patrick Byrd and C-Byrd, 2) C-Byrd with camperback addition, and 3) on the water.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations and welcome aboard! The only 18 I have seen is Byrdman's and he had restored it very nicely... Great boat.

The major thing to look for is the condition of the floors. There was a recent post about a 22 of that vintage where the buyer stated that the floor flexed when underway in chop.

I don't know how your boat was built--but most likely it had a plywood core as the 22's of that vintage did. If water gets into the core, there can be rot, and the core material should be removed, and replaced. Water can get in thru screw holes in the floor. Any hole in the floor (inner skin of the bottom of the boat, should have the hole over drilled, then the inner layer of glass undercut, filled with thickened epoxy and then the screw put into the epoxy plug. Back in those days (and even today) the factory did not do that. If the boat has been in a more temperate climate (you are NC, so I assume that boat is not in AK), and has been covered most of its life, that is probably not an issue.

Other things--check the steering--those would have had manual push pull, and it probably has been replaced--if not, then it is a fairly easy fix. Same with shifter and throttle cables. Check the transom, by putting the motor in trailering position and putting your weight on the lower unit to see if the transom flexes. If it does, this may be sign of water intrusion into the transom, would have to be repaired.

Generally look for cracks in the gel coat--take photos of all that you see which you have questions about--and post them here to get an opinion,.

I think this is a great find--and they are great boats. 70 hp should be fine for that boat. Check to be sure it has new fuel lines. (at least not more than 7 years old. Check how the motor runs--do a sea trial if possible--in fact I probably would not buy a boat that age without a sea trial. The 70 should push the boat up into the low 20's. Be -aware of old fuel in the tanks, carburetors may have to be rebuilt if fuel has been sitting in them. Look for signs of corrosion or rust on the tanks. I think Byrdman put new tanks in his boat. (and that was over 10 years ago).

Anything you find wrong can be fixed--but it is also a point for negation on price.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Toland 18-8 Reply with quote

Bob, Would you please post that information on the Toland 18-8 that I sent your way early this year. I am certain "Sean" would like to have a look.
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Toland 18-8 Brochure Reply with quote

Toland i8-8 file

The 18 Angler was made 1983 to 1985 and there appear to be 14 known
The Toland 18-8 was made from 1992 to 1995 and there appear to be 11 known on our member list--but this brochure says 12--so I suspect it is correct.

There are some boats labeled 19's in the list, built as early as 1985, but I suspect that those are really 18 Anglers...

Here is the file--in JPEG but the information seems "readable" My apologies and thanks to Barry Reitz, he had sent this to me in January, and I had other things committed--and did not take the time to convert the images put this on the list. Barry kindly re-sent it to me again this AM.

I am putting this in document archives also.

It is in high enough resolution that it can easily be blown up to full page size or bigger if anyone wants to print it. I had to convert from pdf to a format that our photo album engine could recognize--thus JPEG.

This is the newer Toland 18-8

[/b]
mcauliffesean

City/Region: Wilmington
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Photos: mcauliffesean
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: 1984 c-dory 18 - I bought it!!!!!! Reply with quote

So I am the proud owner of one of the few 18's produced. Hull number MFN18011D484. This one has the factory Alaska Bulkhead with locking door. I have yet to take it out and had to buy it quick before someone else got it. Thanks for all of your replies and I will get some pics posted asap. This is not the Toland model but from an old brochure I found on here in the documents section is just called the c-dory 18. Should be number 11.

[/img]
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the serial number I would be much more likely to say yours is #11. There are ones with 003, 004, and 012, 013 listed. So 011 would be 11. One would be 001. Also look at the date of manufacture by the HIN Code.
pegleggreg2

City/Region: ARROYO GRANDE
C-Dory Model: 18 Angler
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: I have 002 18' angler I am thinking of selling it. Reply with quote

I love this boat and yet there are features of similar sized boats I want. self bailing cockpit and anchor locker are two of the things I want as well as a walk around hull. I know I have had too many boats it is fun for me to change boats often

so I am possibly selling this and wonder what the values might be?

Obviously there are many variables just a rough guestimate would be useful
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willing buyer and willing seller, determines the price. I would say at least what a C Dory 19 goes for--and I have seen some 16's at what I consider inflated prices.

It also depends on the condition--one 19 sold for $10,000 a couple of years ago.

So you might get as much as $30,000, or as little as $20,000 in today's market. I might buy it, but Marie would kill me--she says no more "overnight" boats...
Roamad

City/Region: Isleton
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Photos: Roamad
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There’s one for sale currently on the CA central coast. It’s been on the market a long time — not sure why.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/arroyo-grande-18-dory-60hp-mercury-big/7404118534.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: