The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

BF 50 neutral switch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Wolfe

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: BF 50 neutral switch Reply with quote

Starting the starboard engine as been getting more finicky the last few months, with what look to me like a neutral switch issue. When I turn the key nothing happen, wiggling the shift/throttle handle seem to be helping in getting the starter to finally engage, unless its just luck. I opened up the remote control box a couple days ago and there is no neutral switch inside, next I should be look at the engine and locate the neutral switch but its snowing outside so I'd rather wait for a better day for it.
With the control box detach from the bracket and cover remove, I was not able to duplicate the issue, the starter engaged every time, even once I shifted in forward gear and the starter engage anyway. Is it possible that there is no neutral switch? The control box was detach from its bracket but I don't see that making a difference. Could it need adjustment at the shift cable? I'm not quite sure how to do that yet. The next suspect might be the starter solenoid but somehow I don't feel that is the problem.
I'm just curious to know if anyone had that issue and can provide advise on the troubleshooting.

Engine is a 2007 Honda BF50 carbureted. I'll post a picture of the control soon.

Thanks for any advice.

sparkle; Ericson 25 CB 2008-2012
Sculpin; Drascombe Drifter 2005-2008

Last edited by C-Wolfe on Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
C-Wolfe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible that on your 50 the neutral safety switch is on the engine linkage, rather than the shifter. My Honda manual shows a neutral safety switch on the 50 hp, both remote and tiller operated being on the engine linkage.

You sure have a number of corrosion issues. I suspect you can spend some of the winter resolving those:

Is it possible to get the boat inside a shelter of some type during the winter? It will certainly be better for the boat (think about freeze/thaw cycles and water in the cockpit etc). Also will give you an opportunity to resolve potential electrical issues.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
C-Wolfe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
It is possible that on your 50 the neutral safety switch is on the engine linkage, rather than the shifter. My Honda manual shows a neutral safety switch on the 50 hp, both remote and tiller operated being on the engine linkage.

I need to look deeper into this but I don’t think the switch is easy access on the engine.

You sure have a number of corrosion issues. I suspect you can spend some of the winter resolving those:

All of those have been replaced and improved, I have no more issues with that. I’ll post later about what I did.

Is it possible to get the boat inside a shelter of some type during the winter? It will certainly be better for the boat (think about freeze/thaw cycles and water in the cockpit etc). Also will give you an opportunity to resolve potential electrical issues.

Boat is well cover with a small heater/dehumidifier (caframo 80 watt). This is how I had stored my previous boats and camper and was able to keep moisture and water to a minimum. I would love a full heated enclosure thought.
Quote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: