View previous topic :: View next topic  
garyf

City/Region: Lincoln
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Story
Photos: C-Story
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:28 am    Post subject: Replacement Electronics Shelf + possible mods Reply with quote

My overhead electronics shelf has had many things mounted and removed and moved over the years and it's beginning to look like swiss cheese. Of course, I need to drill more holes and add new things here in the near future, so I'm wondering if I should replace it altogether. It's the original from 30 years ago - solid teak I believe... it's pretty heavy!

I'm curious who else has done this and what materials were used. Love teak, but it's pretty heavy to mount overhead, etc. Has anyone used more modern materials like starboard or carbon fiber or something? Any useful mod possibilities in that area? More storage, etc, IDK, just wondering what kind of opportunities might be in this area.

'08 Yamaha 90
KC3PO
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replace mine with a shelf and cabinet that I built out of Red Cedar coated with varithane.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is made of teak, it would be a custom after market item. Is this the shelf or the a fascia board facing the shelf?

The originals were made of the same material that the rest of the interior. In an early 90's boat that would be a plywood for with Melamine type of veneer.

Starboard would not be a good material--it is heavy, expensive and few glues stick to it. It is also easy to distort with weight-and would most likely sag.

A plywood shelf would probably be the best. The minimum thickness could be 3/8" with a strong back in the. middle and a piece of teak or solid wood stained to look like teak on the front. That will keep any deflection to the minimum.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the original overhead shelf lacking in usefulness.
The space from the shelf to the roof was narrow and didn't allow much to be stored up there except for folded charts, books, etc. , which would all come falling down from the rear of the shelf by the windshield in even moderate seas. There was no shelf lip or rail to stop stuff exiting the shelf. The stuff would fall out the front as well, even though the teak lip was there.

So, decided to make a new shelf. I used 3/4" plywood sign board and painted it with melamime. I put plywood spacers painted with epoxy to extend the existing mounting points allowing for a wider shelf space. Finished with a teak front and hinged door. Used 1/4" plywood pieces on the rear of the shelf to stop stuff from falling out.

garyf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
If it is made of teak, it would be a custom after market item. Is this the shelf or the a fascia board facing the shelf?

The originals were made of the same material that the rest of the interior. In an early 90's boat that would be a plywood for with Melamine type of veneer.

It's just a single plain shelf, no fascia. I'll take a closer look at it next time I get the chance. If it's a plywood of some sort, it's well disguised.

thataway wrote:
Starboard would not be a good material--it is heavy, expensive and few glues stick to it. It is also easy to distort with weight-and would most likely sag.

Thanks for the tip - I haven't worked with it much, so this is exactly what I was wondering about.

thataway wrote:
A plywood shelf would probably be the best. The minimum thickness could be 3/8" with a strong back in the. middle and a piece of teak or solid wood stained to look like teak on the front. That will keep any deflection to the minimum.

Thanks.
garyf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CC Rider wrote:
So, decided to make a new shelf. I used 3/4" plywood sign board and painted it with melamime. I put plywood spacers painted with epoxy to extend the existing mounting points allowing for a wider shelf space. Finished with a teak front and hinged door. Used 1/4" plywood pieces on the rear of the shelf to stop stuff from falling out.

Very nice! That gives me some ideas for sure! Thank you.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea Chris, Mine was pretty useless too, so I hung a bunch of stuff up there to look at Wink

I guess I thought that is what it was for.

But Yours does look nice. Cool

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used marine ply that has a white surface for the shelf itself and used teak for the front face. Teak was pricey. One could use other types of wood like mahogany; probably less boat units. I coated it with teak oil. Nice soft, warm sheen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: