The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Is 50hp too small for a 22’ Cruiser?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chester

City/Region: home
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware, it will be a noisy and sluggish disaster. I would only buy it if it was priced as if it needed repowered and it does.
It will not 'cruise' at the advertised speeds. Cruise implies a comfortable, efficient speed. My 22C with twin 40s cruised at 14 knots.
My 2¢.
garyf

City/Region: Lincoln
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: C-Story
Photos: C-Story
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Safety becomes an issue if you cannot make way agains wind and current. Outrunning a storm? Not that easy to do, even where we have plenty of warning. Having steerage way is important, but less than 5 hp will give steerage way in a C Dory.

Exactly what I was referring to. I agree it'd only be under certain conditions and that's what I tried to articulate. I just wanted to throw it out there as something to keep in mind. Maybe I've watched too many Haulover Inlet videos? Nawwww... Laughing

'08 Yamaha 90
KC3PO
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems very underpowered. But if you can negotiate that into your purchase price then maybe it's not a deal breaker.

How is the rest of the boat? Electronics, canvas, radar etc? If you love boat and it's well equipped then maybe the motor can be "lived with" for now and then upgraded in a year or 2.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOTE Slight off topic but . . . . I go anyway. (sorry OP).

Jay Said:

Quote:
" . . . As Harvey indicated we have run considerably on one of the twin 40’s to extend our fuel for longer distances between fuel stops. We never knew until the addition of the 60 hp motors with nmea 2000 fuel burn information just how much it saved us. It is considerably with a difference of 2 smpg. With running both of the 60 hp motors at 5.6 knots or 6 smpg it is 6.4 smpg. With one motor running & the other still down, but off & in neutral it will be 8.4 smpg. Along with the primary goal of increasing cruise range it’s nice to know at todays fuel prices that’s a substantial savings in fuel cost. Also there is a huge reduction on engine run hours. With all the time we spent at displacement speed on our old twin 40’s, their hours when traded in would have been over 4000 hours instead of 2400 hours if we had been running a single or always powered up with both twins.

Jay"

Jay, Thank you for that confirmation. And wow, you do keep good records. I have to admit to most of my slow cruising is with twins down and running. Your info may help in changing my cruising habit. (I like the twins running for control, but I like your fuel use records better. Thank you.

Now back to to is that question. Is that boat underpowered? In my opinion, (and it's worth to you what you paid for it) I would say definitely YES For use anywhere but on small to medium size lakes. Wind and Fetch would be your enemies.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: