The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Anyone using a sprinter van NCV3 (2008-2018) for 22/23 Cdory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flagster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Anyone using a sprinter van NCV3 (2008-2018) for 22/23 Cdory Reply with quote

Good morning.
I am new to the site and looking for some information regarding towing. I tried to search the forums for anyone using a Mercedes/Dodge Sprinter van as a tow vehicle but have not found any information.

My partner and I have been using a 2015 v6 3.0l 4x4 diesel van for travelling the west as our escape from Southern Arizona summers. We usually travel for 2-3 months during the worst of the heat.

After spending the last 5 years exploring the west on land we are looking to add a boat (most like a Cdory or similar) to get out on Lake Powell and also explore the Puget Sound area (we used to live in Seattle)...

My calculations put a 22 C dory right around 5K "wet/loaded" which is right on our Sprinters listed 5k towing limit.

We are very attached to the convenience of the van (she particularly likes the safety of a passthough) for camping but I'm thinking a body on frame vehicle (domestic truck or van with vCool would be a better long term solution for long distance towing.

Any others with experience or recommendations?

Thanks
Matt
Standas

City/Region: Poulsbo
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C -Time
Photos: C -Time
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could check out the Gaye n Robert you tube channel. I believe that’s what they tow their 22’ cruiser around with.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2013 3500 dually Sprinter van, with Winnebago conversion (VIA 25 T).

If your van is a dually, it should have about the same capacities as mine:

Gross combined vehicular weight = 15250#

Gross vehicular weight=11030.#

Curb weight:= a 6200#

To really know what you can tow, you will need a weight of the van, loaded, add in 500# tongue weight. Plus you need a real weight of the boat on trailer. You should not exceed the GCVW of 15250#, so it is not just tow weight, but total weight of the vehicle, load in the vehicle and trailered boat. Don't forget the passenger weight in the Mercedes.

I did tow a 22 (and short distances for a 25) with a Dodge 1 ton conversion Road Trek. That has a tow capacity of a 6800 lbs, but....when the content of conversion is added in, the towing capacity is decreased.

I have towed my wife's Lincoln MKX (weight 4300 lbs) over 5,000 miles behind out sprinter RV.. There is no hitch weight. There were no problems towing that amount, including Western grades. The Sprinter and its engine are neat pieces of machinery --and expensive to maintain.

If I was towing a C Dory 22 (which has considerably more windage than a mid sized SUV, and center of gravity on the trailer is much higher, I would want the upgrades on the antisway bar and shocks.

On any diesel I want to know a few pieces of information, including engine boost, exhaust gas temperatures, transmission temperature, instant fuel consumption and load. A scanguage D with custom programing can give this information. The iCarsoft MBII for Mercedes Benz/Sprinter also works well. These plug into the OB DII port. In my Ford truck, I use Bank's gauges for the same information.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Flagster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great information...Thanks...
I'll start doing some calculations...
Our van is not a dually...so that might limit our options...

Thanks again
itiming

City/Region: Iron River
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Obsession
Photos: Obsession
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been locally towing our 22 Cruiser behind our 2013 Sprinter 2500 Passenger Van (144 in wheelbase) for 2.5 years. Our towing is to Lake Superior launches within one day's travel. The most rugged terrain we see is in Michigan's UP, so not real mountain country. Our 2500 gear ratios are such that I often downshift to 4th gear in hilly terrain. The boat fits fairly well behind the van outline, so wind has been too concerning. The van works ok, for this use; but we do not roll long distance, nor through mountain county. Your van should offer better towing performance than our 2WD, esp if matched with good trailer brakes. We agree that the van is a great way to travel.

Prior to that, we had a Sprinter 3500 based RV with the longer 177 in wheelbase. The 3500 chassis had better gear ratio's for towing, but the extended body behind the rear axle was not ideal for tight launches. Again, we only towed with it to our local launches.

Prior to that we had two F350 diesel pickups (one a dually) and a 22 ft center console -- which we did tow long distance and over mountains. No question, these will pass anything on the road (except a gas station).

We are looking for a vehicle that offers better towing performance. Right now we are looking most closely at the Ford Lightning or the Rivian R1T (but we would miss the van).

Chuck Olson
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We are looking for a vehicle that offers better towing performance. Right now we are looking most closely at the Ford Lightning or the Rivian R1T (but we would miss the van).

What about the range and recharging? It appears as if the Ford would be 200 miles plus or minus. What type of station is available at launch ramps to charge the truck to get home?
itiming

City/Region: Iron River
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Obsession
Photos: Obsession
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the Rivian R1T offers a larger capacity battery than the Ford Lightning, our first choice is the Rivian -- which is just beginning to ship.

This is the Rivian R1T posted range: "In January 2022, an R1T with a 400+ mile range will be available, and we’ll announce the timing for an R1T with a 250+ mile range."

This is the Rivian R1T posted towing performance: "Our powertrain, thermal system and frame structure enable the R1T to tow up to 11,000 lbs in all variants. When towing at full capacity, you can expect around a 50% reduction in range."

Our 22 Cruiser/Easy Loader trailer weigh 5000 lb., so perhaps 30-40% reduction, or 240-280 miles. Also, the typical battery charge is done to <= 80%; so 192-224 miles.

The larger battery is an expensive option, but with towing and our cool/cold climate; a necessity for our use. Our longest typical launch drive is 60 miles, one-way. So, recharge should not be an issue for the majority of our trips, as we would recharge at home. We already installed an EV charger at home (our daughter's family visits from Washington State with their Tesla, and soon their Rivian). They drive from Olympia to our NW Wisconsin location now in their Tesla. We are hoping to add solar panels by next year.
Flagster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@itiming...yes the 144 WB in our van also is a benefit. I have yet to measure the distance between the rear axle and the hitch but the rear departure angle is very good on this van so I presume it will be shorter than most comparable vehicles...

Our driving here in AZ/four corners requires often pulling long grades from the desert to the mountains and I'm a little worried about the weight of our "built" van loaded with toys trying to drag 5000lbs up I17 from PHX to Flagstaff.

Some others chimed in with good information in PMs and I need to start doing the calculations to see exactly where I stand with this van.

Saw a Rivian testing in Salida, CO last month. Very sharp looking truck...
Electric will be very tempting with the next round of "trucks" but for long distance towing out west I would think 500/300 (unloaded/towing) would be minimum I would feel comfortable with range.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this is speculation until you hit the scales. My experience is the weight the manufacturer post are very optimistic and every vehicle I have ever owned scales for more that it is supposed to - even completely empty.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: