Long shot, but you never know

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bschell

City/Region: tustin
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: bschell 2003 22 Cuiser
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Long shot, but you never know Reply with quote

I know this is a long shot... but some of you whippersnappers are pretty sharp.
I have a 2018 Suzuki DF9.9BTX2 it is used as my kicker and it is a remote installed model, I would be surprised if the engine had 15 hours on it.

The problem:
The engine will idle sweet, but once you put a load on the engine (pushing the boat at 2.5 - 3 mph) the alarm sounds and the RPM's slow down like it is supposed to do at alarm. I have flushed the engine real good, all oil changes are up to date, changed out the thermostat, changed out the impeller. I have taken it to a certified Suzuki shop and there are no error codes or faults, but that darn alarm still comes on. Has anybody run across this frustrating problem? I have not taken it back to the Suzuki shop because they didn't listen to me the first time about the problem... they just call and say your boats ready.
steveblarson@yahoo.com

City/Region: Broomfield
State or Province: CO
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Long Shot Reply with quote

bschell, I don't have that engine, but have had similar problems. I would suspect three things.
1- The water pump is not operating properly and its overheating. You say you have replaced the impeller so maybe not this? check for a good stream of water coming out of the engine to be sure.
2- Engine is not getting enough fuel. Its getting enough to Idle but not enough under load. Check filters or look for any obstruction that may be preventing proper flow.
3- Air filter, for the same reasons as # 2

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2018 with 15 hours on it in 3 years. I might also suspect the fuel. If it is a carbed engine, what has been done during off season with the fuel/tank. Emptied and dried -- tank, and carb, or left full with fuel stabilizer mixed in, or just left with a fuel sitting in it from year to year?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

bschell

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fuel injected 2 cylinder engine, I think I will pull the fuel injectors out and clean them. Never done this before... but thanks to you tube I should be able to accomplish the task. If this works? I guess there is no code or fault for dirty injectors. I remember the old days when you could fix anything on your outboard with a flat head screwdriver... Now, you need a team of mechanics a Cat scan machine, AQMD standing by with Hazard suits on!
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a low oil pressure or temperature warning to protect the motor. How long is the shaft? Is it a 20 inch shaft motor and is it submerged in the water enough to cover the cavitation plate while underway?
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DayBreak wrote:
Sounds like a low oil pressure or temperature warning to protect the motor. How long is the shaft? Is it a 20 inch shaft motor and is it submerged in the water enough to cover the cavitation plate while underway?

The OP indicates the motor is a DF9.9BTX2, which I believe is the extra long 25 inch shaft. Otherwise, you might suspect the intake is not sufficiently submerged when the kicker is pushing the boat. That would not seem to be the case here. (Unless the motor is mounted unusually high for some reason, like wanting to make sure it tilts enough to prevent it from dragging when the boat is under way with the main engine.)

bschell

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill you are correct, it is a 25" shaft. There is plenty of lower pick-up in the water... something is getting by the computer scan and not showing a code?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: