The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Wallas cooktop/heater
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just our two cents: we had a Wallas. It came with the boat which was fitted out already.

It was neither a good stove nor a good heater. It took a long time to boil water and we had a hard time controlling the heat output when cooking. It only gave us one trouble and that was on start up with low voltage on our house bank. I unplugged it, charged the battery and it again worked without issue.

The Admiral did not like cooking on it; we have natural gas at home.

As a heater it heated the cabin from counter height (obviously). As we all,learned in elementary school warm air rises, so the cabin always appeared cold, despite me cranking it up full. Again, The Admiral did not like it.

I ended up pulling it out, selling it and making a new counter. I installed a dedicated Espar Airtronic diesel heater under the counter, one that blows heated air from the toe-kick in the galley. That heater puts out plenty enough heat and dries the cabin in the morning. The Admiral, who is always “literally freezing” (her words) approves.

We cook on a single burner butane stove that we store when not in use.

smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the diesel, forced air, ducted heater camp. I am also in the $20 butane, movable cook stove camp. Which together gives you back a lot of useable counter space.

However, I would add a wrinkle. The cheap butane stoves do a great job of cooking IMO; but if you have to boil a lot of water (e.g., cook crab, make pasta), you will burn up those butane cylinders fast. I bought a relatively inexpensive Coleman single burner that mounts on a standard 1 pound propane green tank. The 1 pound tank lasts a long time, and is far cheaper BTU for BTU than the butane cylinders (even at $2 Asian super market prices). I re-full the 1 pound propane tanks with an adaptor from a 20 pound propane tank.....and that makes using the propane stove to boil water or other high BTU tasks dirt cheap.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing to keep in mind about butane is that the boiling point is about 32 degrees. Add in the fact that as the pressure in the can reduces, it gets colder and you'll find that on frosty mornings getting a butane stove to work well can be a trial.

When its cold, the more you use it, the less pressure you get. Putting the canister in the sun or under your arm helps. Eventually the stove or the environment heats up enough to get good operation from the butane.

That all said, IMO the benefits of a portable butane stove outweigh the negatives.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be careful about using a Mr. Buddy to heat the boat. They add to the condensation and also the concern of CO2. I had a Kenyon KISS stove in my 22, and it failed. Specifically flamed up where flames were not suppose to be! You can google and see that this is a known issue with this stove and failed seals! Colby
westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently looking to add forced-air heat in our new (to us) RF 246. The original 2 burner propane stove works but shows age. We value simplicity and reliability over features, and will readily pay for demonstrated quality. Where I'm at so far:

-Having read numerous frustrated Wallas heater/stove threads on this site over the years, including offers of stoves being removed and given away, this will NOT be our choice. Demonstrated unreliability is a non-starter for me, and I'm not willing to gamble >$4,000 that this leopard has "changed its spots".

The Chinese knock-offs, while tempting, also have a poor track record for reliability. The suggestion to "buy 2 for when the first one breaks" doesn't resonate with me. The admiral wants heat, not another boat project to be done at night in the cold.

-For effective heating (and hot water if desired), the Webasto and Espar diesel units are universally praised. Price for heater and install parts will approach $3,000, not including labor. A bit harder to source and install. Sure marine in Seattle has a stellar reputation for Webasto, so still a consideration.

-The Wallas 22gb and 30gb (forced-air heat only) are among the most simple and reliable, easiest to install, and sold/serviced here in Seattle. I looked at their (even smaller and less expensive) kerosene-only heater but was steered away by an honest Wallas rep who clearly didn't think much of it.

I'm currently leaning towards the Wallas 30GB, and using the force 10 cooktop as long as it remains safe and serviceable. We also have a newer propane camping stove which would work with proper cross-ventilation.

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful information and perspectives.

Warm regards, Mike
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Wallas in my previous 22 and have one in my Tomcat. I think I had the one in the 22 repaired once for around a few 100$'s and the one in the Tomcat has operated without a repair for about 9 years. The biggest problem I have with the one on the Tomcat is that if it isn't run for awhile, it loses prime on the fuel source and won't start. Then if it doesn't start on 2 attempts there's a reset process that I always have to look up.

What I've discovered over time is that I can prevent this issue by slightly pressurizing the fuel container prior to start up after long periods of disuse. I simply blow a little air into the vent line of the fuel container and then cap the vent line with my thumb until startup is well underway. I only do this if I haven't run it in a week or more. I haven't have had a problem since I started doing this.

However, I want to point out that an alternative option for both heat and cooking is the purchase of a generator and the install of a shore power system (if you don't already have one). Then for heat use an inexpensive electric heater and as Bob suggested an induction cook top for cooking. A generator, electric heater and induction cooktop can all be purchased for around $1300-1400. A 2kw Honda generator is quite reliable and the cooktops and electric heaters are also. The addition of shore power allows other things (battery charger, microwave, crockpot etc) to be run.

westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger:

That's an interesting idea. The main question it raises is: do you run the generator while the boat is underway? What type of heater, and how is everything secured?

In our use the need for heat is mainly while underway as we don't do much in the way of cruising (hope to change that though).

Watch for wind this weekend!!

Mike
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a Honda 2000. Mainly use it for the water heater; run it for 20-30 minutes and the 6 gallons is plenty hot. It is a generator and despite it being a quiet Honda, it still makes noise. As a result, I mostly run it while we are underway. I have run it at anchor to heat water or charge our batteries, but I try to not do that as much as possible. I will only do it during daylight hours and before people chill with drinks, cook dinner etc. I try to be a good neighbor.

Sometimes that is still not enough for some people. I’ve had people yell at us from other boats, complaining about the noise. Mostly blow boaters in our experience. One lady was throwing F bombs about it. I told her I “could start it again”. Her better half said something to her and she retreated back down into her gofer hole. Rolling Eyes

My point is, they are noisy and not everyone is happy about it. I personally couldn’t see using one to cook, certainly not heating...but that’s just us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: