Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmachine

City/Region: Birch Bay
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: KUNI-G
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:58 am    Post subject: Tollycraft 34 vs CC 26 - worth it to make the wife happy Reply with quote

I was hoping to gather some feedback following a recent excursion this weekend when my wife encountered a 70's era Tollycraft 34 Sedan and began the discussion moving to a larger beam and length to fit the family. Currently residing in a CC 26 that we have been enjoying for the past year (it was a 1 owner, excellent condition boat when we purchased it and have been extensively upgrading it this year). We are fairly new to boating and find ourselves in the water most weekends (leaving out of Birch Bay). I am trying to debate the pros/cons of this discussion when looking at gaining space and comfort (for my family) with the Tollycraft vs. the familiarity and love I have for our CC. I have yet to be in the water with a Tollycraft (researching extensively the past few days) or other similar sized boats so I am open to all feedback from others. Thanks, Brock
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are very different boats, each designed for a particular use. From here, this is one guy's opinion...

That era Tollycrafts are nice boats, heavily built. If your usage is staying on the water and essentially cruising one area, a well-kept/maintained Tolly would be a good "cabin on the water" or slower cruising boat.

Your Cape Cruiser is a trailerable boat that gives up beam and length to be reasonably easily trailerable. While your usage may currently be all that you can reach from the Birch Bay area, if you decide to trailer other places, the opportunities are unlimited. Florida Keys in the winter, the New York Canal System in the summer... you are only limited by time and money.

There is something to be said for beam and elbow room, and the Tolly has that in spades over the CC. If the Tolly you are considering has a fly bridge, that is another interesting consideration. Bigger boat > bigger maintenance > bigger marina costs > more expensive to haul out > bigger fuel costs. Inboard vs outboard makes a difference in ease of maintenance and being able to haul the boat to an inland facility vs using a boat yard with a travel lift.

If I were truly living onboard (we spent up to 6 months at a time on our CD-25), I would certainly be looking towards the bigger boat. If I was looking to take a boat to all the interesting cruising places on a trailer behind a truck, I'd be staying with the CC. An older boat can be a huge money pit if it is need of updating; are you able to do the work yourself?

This isn't apples and oranges - more like apples and watermelons; the apple you can put in your lunch bag and enjoy on the go; the watermelon is going to take up more space and be more work (slicing, plates, refrigerate after cracking it open) to enjoy.

Good luck with the decisions.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you are using it in the same location every weekend, the pros of a larger boat seem to make sense to me. If you can keep it in a slip ready to enjoy whenever you want, and aren't needing to launch and trailer.... the Tolly will be more enjoyable for the family. Probably more expensive and needy than your 26 on a daily basis but its only money. Not even mine in this case Laughing

If it makes the wife and family happy, it might be worth a try. Can always go back to the c-dory down the road.

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been a couple of Tollys and they are great boats. And they don't have to be slow - my good buddy has one with twin diesels that is comfy at 30 mph and really sips fuel for what it is. If were in the market, Uniflite makes a bombproof boat too and I would not turn away from.
forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy had a 27? foot Tolly. It was great when it was tied up to the dock. He couldn't afford to motor anywhere because of the fuel consumption. It was very expensive to run so he sold it. Be prepared to pay a lot more to operate it and also be aware that you most likely will have to pay for year round moorage. Then there is haul out and repainting the bottom every 3 or so years. Good luck with your decision.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim covered it and well.

One more thing to consider; check on what slips cost in our area and know that if the Tolly does not come with one that you can take over, you’ll be on a waiting list or lists. Last time I checked in mid-summer most were at least a year, some more.

croakz

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Jolly Blue
Photos: Jolly Blue
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brock,

It's Tom, the guy who bought your Achilles dingy. How awesome was it to buy boating stuff off Craigslist, and then find out it's from another local C-dory owner! So if you do swap boats, do it after the next CBGT Very Happy

- tom
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great comments. A couple more:

1) A Tolly CAN be fast and it CAN be relatively economical to run (with regards to fuel consumption), but it can't be both at the same time.

2) A flybridge is a wonderful thing.
Leo Smith

City/Region: West Seattle
Photos: Leo
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Growing up in a boating family, the evolution of boats started at 17', and progressed to 20', 24', 30' and finally 40'. The first 3 boats were trailerable and we enjoyed a wide variety of boating locations, including mountain lakes, Puget Sound, Canadian Gulf Islands, and the Columbia River.

As my parents got older and tired of towing and launching, the last two boats were moored and served more as a floating weekend cabin with short day trips.

One thing I noticed with the last two boats was an exponential jump in the cost of fuel and maintenance. My dad would joke: " You steer with one hand and write checks with the other."

Tolly's are excellent boats. Unless it has been re-powered, it will most likely have twin gas engines. You will become good friends with the folks at the gas dock! Good luck with your decision. The CC and Tolly both serve their purposes well.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I just add my 2 cents worth as a 'Flybridge' was mentioned in previous posts.
I had a flybridge on my Camano Troll. It had a sunshade bimini but no canvas full enclosure.
On a rare hot sunny day with little wind in the PNW it was great steering from up top. Back to reality, it was often to chilly up top when under way. So, if you buy a boat with a flybridge in the PNW, think canvas enclosure.

Martin.
localboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnr wrote:
Great comments. A couple more:

1) A Tolly CAN be fast and it CAN be relatively economical to run (with regards to fuel consumption), but it can't be both at the same time.

One of life’s truisms. You wanna play? You gotta pay. Wink
localboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bridma wrote:
May I just add my 2 cents worth as a 'Flybridge' was mentioned in previous posts.
I had a flybridge on my Camano Troll. It had a sunshade bimini but no canvas full enclosure.
On a rare hot sunny day with little wind in the PNW it was great steering from up top. Back to reality, it was often to chilly up top when under way. So, if you buy a boat with a flybridge in the PNW, think canvas enclosure.

Martin.

I’d agree. But in Florida...or better yet, Hawai’i...a fly bridge is a wonderful place to steer or hang out in at anchor.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not that hard to heat the flying bridge: Get a "Red Dot" or similar heater. We used 25,000 BTU to heat the raised cockpit on the Cal 46. Run two hoses up from the engine room and a 10 amp circuit for the fan. Of course this assumes canvas for the flying bridge. On sunny days, a canvas flying bridge enclosure can be nice and warm in the PNW.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
bridma wrote:

Martin.

I’d agree. But in Florida...or better yet, Hawai’i...a fly bridge is a wonderful place to steer or hang out in at anchor.

Well, the Tollycraft, with all its flybridge splendor, was built in and for the PNW waters. The Tolly flybridge has that odd looking forward facing windshield that does an amazing job of keeping the wind off a seated person. I had the pleasure of using a Tolly for one summer up here in Bellingham, WA and I am still of the opinion that the flybridge is glorious. The San Juans get almost zero rain during the summer boating season.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admire the Tollys but have never owned one. But I own a 2005 CD25 free and clear and have this past summer experienced paying for a 26 foot slip rental in Blaine Marina at $245 per month from May through September. Big mistake. (We live in Birch Bay, maybe we could have a meet and greet sometime!).

But anyway, I am in the "keep your Venture 26 camp" because a slip-bound Tolly will limit your ability to do what you CAN do. You will be limited to Puget Sound and cruises north into Canada (not entirely bad of course), and you will spend a LOT on slip fees and fuel. We have cruised Lake Powell four times. We have cruised the Idaho lakes. We have cruised Lake Roosevelt. Best of all, we cruised the Great Loop in 2017. We towed from Birch Bay to Florida and spent 8 months cruising 5,428 mile on the Great Loop (see blog link in signature). We spent more on slip rental for May through September at $245 per month than we did on fuel for the entire Great Loop. You will never do that on a Tolly.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: