The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

How Far Did You Travel To Buy Your C-Dory?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We purchased our 22 and 25 from the Seattle area, about a 5k mile round trip from Anchorage AK.

The 22 was uneventfully, pulled fine and didn't shift on the trailer.
The 25 was a nightmare by comparison.

The 25 had less then an inch clearance between the hull and fenders, I was constantly having to deal with that!

A dealer in Kitsap set it up, what a mistake. To top that off the surge brakes never worked, fortunately my truck weighed over 6k lbs. and had new brakes. Even checked the brakes out at the deal buy backing up to see if they word lock, even put a couple boards behind the trailer tires; the brakes should have locked up; the bypass solenoid was disabled. Dealer made some excuse indicated they would get better down the road, NOT!
I needed to get on the road, that's why I paid the this Marine dealer to have everything ready.

I eventually stopped in BC to purchased a set ratchet straps to cross strap the transom; this helped but didn't totally stop the shifting.

The dealer should have done a better job setting up the trailer, bunks needed to be adjusted up to allow for more clearance; I made these adjustments with the boat on the trailer, after returning to Alaska. Just didn't have the time or tools to deal with it on the trip north.

I eventually obtained a set of heavy duty 2" yellow commercial ratchet straps that really held the boat in place, post trip.

Turned out the surge brakes just needed a little more fluid added and they worked just fine; this supersized me; I've had a number of trailers with surge brakes and never had to top off the reservoir to make them work.

At one point he hull actually pushed up against the right fender really hard on a bumpy stretch under construction in the Yukon, the tire melted a hole though the fender to the hull taking off a bit of gelcoat.

Live and learn, all's well that ends well.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
crazy4salmon

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Therapy
Photos: C-Therapy
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferndale WA to Edmonds WA. Maybe 200 miles round trip. Thumbs Up
PWSFUN

City/Region: ANCHORAGE
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: BUTT NAKED
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning c-brats. Have checked out this site several times weekly for the past 6 years. Our family has enjoyed an awesome cruiser 22 for the last 5 seasons in PWS. Family is growing and now the cousins want to join also for the adventures. So, to answer the question on how far you have traveled to get your c-dory. First time was anchorage to kenai Alaska. Less than a 3 hour trip. And the second time... I’m hopeful my trip to the coast or North Carolina will result in an larger 25 cruiser for our family. Fun times. Lots of logistics ahead and will report what happens.
daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject: We’re in Savanna, Georgia tonight with our C-Dory Reply with quote

We drove down today after traveling halfway yesterday. We met Lorin and followed him over to the boat ramp where we put the boat in and took it out for a test run and systems check (mainly for the new operator!)
We hooked it up to our truck and towed it back to the hotel. After frustration with the hitch lock I wrapped a cable around the wheels, parked the truck in front and called it a night.
We have a little over 650 miles to travel tomorrow. We’ll see how far we get (supposed to be windy Sunday so I’d rather avoid that).
Steven T Wardwell

City/Region: Ft pierce
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2022
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sienna Belle
Photos: Sienna Belle
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s not here yet !!! But… We were lucky, only 200+ miles across to Three Rivers marine in Crystal Fiver FLA. We will pick up the new boat this week as soon as Geof is done hanging the Honda ! Happy week!
MV knight hawk 1979 33’ Carver Mariner
MV the Beast 1972 28’ Carver Mariner
MV French Kiss 1985 21’ Bayliner Capris
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to travel to an entirely different county to purchase my first c-dory. Fortunately, that "different country," Canada, was only 23 miles away.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went 8 hours each way (plus an overnight stay) just to get a good look at a C-Dory before I made a decision to buy one. Ended up buying a different one that suddenly came up for sale the evening I returned from my viewing trip just down the road from my house.
redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a post as I have been away from the c-brats forum ever since we sold our 1/2 share of a 255 Tomcat to my brother in law.

We are in Seattle and are trying to purchase a 22 cruiser from the east coast. This journey of 2800 miles is more than I can manage and wanted to ask who has a recommendation for an economical way to get the boat (on a single axle trailer) safely to Seattle.

Your help with any leads on transporters is much appreciated.

Safetythird

City/Region: Hopkinton
State or Province: MA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redbaronace wrote:
This is a post as I have been away from the c-brats forum ever since we sold our 1/2 share of a 255 Tomcat to my brother in law.

We are in Seattle and are trying to purchase a 22 cruiser from the east coast. This journey of 2800 miles is more than I can manage and wanted to ask who has a recommendation for an economical way to get the boat (on a single axle trailer) safely to Seattle.

I just had my 16' Cruiser towed from Minneapolis to just outside of Boston. I used South County Transport and was happy with them.
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redbaronace wrote:

Unless it is a basically new trailer I would try to trade it in on a new one, dual axle from a great trailer dealer that can do the setup and ship it with uship. Friend got his boat home 200 miles on an old dual axle but a bearing burnt up in the next 40 miles and it doesn’t have brakes and old tires. Worth $1000 to someone local if he fixes the bearing but worthless in my opinion for a long tow.
Blase-Jean

City/Region: hoodsport
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: San Souci
Photos: San Souci
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: How far are people willing to travel. Reply with quote

I've had inquiries on my C-D 25 from as far away as Los Angles even though it is not, nor has been, for sale.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: