The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Gotta Sell - Need Advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A really old motor isn't going to be a big asset, even if it runs well.

Not sure what you categorize as a "really old motor". However I would have faith in a well maintained and tested 1999 Honda 90--enough to go offshores with the same precautions I would use for a new motor. These engines do have carburetors which are subject to the gumming up from use of ethanol laced fuel. Having a running motor certainly puts the boat in a different class than one with a motor which is known to ready for the scrap heap.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is a member with a good sense of what 22 are worth why don’t you ask them to a FaceTime walk through with you of the boat and recommend what it is worth? I have a good sense of 25s since I own one and just bought my partner out, but no idea on 22.

Again, get a quote from a local tire place but I would not put more money into the boat. Lots of people still looking for 22’s and if they are from afar then it would be best if they invested in new tires and got the warranty if that’s what they want. This is my opinion.

If there is a good marine mechanic in your area ask them to provide a quote on rebuilding the carb and trying to get it running. I would give them a firm budget that you can afford if you go down that road of trying to fix it or get a diagnosis. A running boat is worth way more, but remember regardless the boat is in high demand right now.

I think the most important feature stand up height inside the cabin if it is a tall roof you have a bigger market but regardless you will have demand. I would consider listing it around 24,873 a number that is completely made up based on price recommendations so people do not low ball you but you could say based on C-dory “experts” who have knowledge of the cost of getting a C-dory in to top shape!

Remember the other 22’s for sale are over 40k right now so 25k is a good price for someone who might get the engine running or find an old 2 stroke for $3000 and have a great boat for the winter with a cabin!
RileyDog

City/Region: Victoria
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Nile
Photos: RileyDog - For Sale
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a 22 Cruiser ... thank you Larry ... and have to say, they are in demand and a generous price for a structurally sound and basically clean 22 Cruiser is not out of the ball park.
I'd post a For Sale link right here on the Brats for $35k. Post a couple links to interior videos, with you describing the features. Be honest and point out flaws. See what happens.

If the boat shows clean, the engines are tuned and the videos show a clean interior, you have a product others are looking for. I just bought one, sight unseen, imported it from the states to canada and now my favorite project. You never know and ... don't spend too much time trying to get it just right. Someone else will be able to take it on and you can go back to dealing with your things.
Just my thoughts and hey, what do eye know other than now owning a classic beauty, it's all good
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Quote:
A really old motor isn't going to be a big asset, even if it runs well.

Not sure what you categorize as a "really old motor". However I would have faith in a well maintained and tested 1999 Honda 90--enough to go offshores with the same precautions I would use for a new motor. These engines do have carburetors which are subject to the gumming up from use of ethanol laced fuel. Having a running motor certainly puts the boat in a different class than one with a motor which is known to ready for the scrap heap.

Bob; I hear you.

For most people, a 1999 Honda 90 is really old. However, if it was well kept, run regularly, and well maintained, it might last another 22 years easily. It doesn't sound like that was the case. My comment was on it's added value in this sale. Maybe I am wrong, but I think most people will not trust this motor until they use it substantially, running at sale time or not.

I have several "really old" gasoline motors of all sorts, one outboard over 50 years old, and two 70's Cruise-n-carry outboards (one 12 lbs) that I would never part with. However, like you, I am mechanically inclined and take some pride in keeping mechanical things going. My comments were to this asker for the added value a 1999 Honda 90 (probably with a few thousand hours of use) would add to a nice 1999 C-Dory hull with nice dual-axle trailer. The motor probably also sat unused a lot, which isn't a good thing.

A well kept C-Dory hull, on the other hand, is somewhat timeless and maybe worth more than it cost new in 1999.

I go fishing offshore in boats with old motors every year, but I wouldn't pay much for a 1999 Honda 90, running or not. I kept my original Honda 90 from my repower and will put it on my niece's crabbing boat in the Chesapeake Bay. Their 70's era Evinrude is worn out. I had 6 years of use and they may have many more. However, I just don't trust this proven trustworthy motor to take me to Alaska in future years and I believe my comment that the new Hondas are superior to the old ones is correct. I don't have data yet, but I think my fuel economy will improve, and I like having 35 amps charging (vs 17).

Therein lies my comment that the value is in the boat with trailer itself, and an old outboard is likely to add a few thousand $ at most, running or not. Maybe I am wrong on this, but I can't advise putting much $ into getting that motor running to increase the sale price.
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two cents worth on the motor. In my opinion a motor that does not run, whether this is on a boat or any other vehicle can only be priced at it's scrap metal value. I would personally take it to a mechanic for an estimate and if he thinks that he can get it running for $500-1000 or whatever your budget is, you may recoup your investment and make it easier to sell the boat. i wouldn't pump much more money into it. Talking from experience with old cars, they reach a point when they will nickel and dime you to death and you are money ahead to sell, than to fix. In this case with the boat, I would sell it as hull only if the motor cannot be fixed. Having a dead motor hanging off the back might actually lower the price of the boat, as opposed to having no motor at all.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
Cassandra

City/Region: Hampstead
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Ojos Verde
Photos: Ojos Verde
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Gotta Sell - Need Advice Reply with quote

Cassandra wrote:
My husband and I have finally made the decision to sell our 1999 22' Cruiser and 2006 Magic Tilt trailer.

We are somewhat at odds about a couple of issues and need your help in sorting them out. The main one is whether to attempt to have the motor rebuilt, buy a used motor, or sell as is. The Honda 90 4-stroke motor had a few unfortunate run-ins with ethanol gas before we found out what the consequences would be.

The boat is sound, and has been cleaned inside and out but needs the gel coat refreshed - working on that now. The bottom has not been painted. My husband doesn't think that needs to be done before selling.

We (um, I) welcome any and all opinions about what to do in order to get the best return on this sizable investment - seeing as how it is not yet paid off!

As for the gel coat - will an automotive compounding product work better than the pricey specialty product for boats. The product I'm using is taking 3 hard scrubbing sessions for an 18" section and doesn't seem to have much grit in it - but maybe that's the safest way. My spindly little arms are tiring out and I've just begun. Should the (almost) white part be compounded and polished, too?

So, the big 3 are motor, gel coat, and painting the bottom. What would make the most sense to you?

Quote:

Cassandra

City/Region: Hampstead
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Ojos Verde
Photos: Ojos Verde
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry C-Dory friends. I obviously don't know how to pick up a thread I started in October 2021. What I'm trying to do is include the original post and thread to see if anyone has further advice.

So many of you were generous with information, instruction, and advice. Thanks to you, I have Ojos Verde very clean inside and out, and the motor inspected. The motor was cleaned up and will now start. My mechanic thinks it could be brought back to life as a temporary solution, but as most of you have advised, he does not recommend that we do any further maintenance or repairs other than the cleaning and pumping out the old gas that he did for us.
He confirms that the hull is sound as is the Magic Tilt trailer. It now has one starting battery.
With this information, do you have opinions about a reasonable asking price?
Would you suggest that I pay a fee to list on Boat Trader and other sites?
Has anyone used Pop Yachts - no listing fee but I'm guessing a hefty commission.
Your previous input was so valuable; I appreciate any additional input that you might have.
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would simply take some nice photos of your boat and post them along with a for sale ad on this site. The ad is free and this site probably has the biggest pool of C-Dory buyers anywhere.

Good luck with the sale.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I wrote previously about the value would still be a starting price of $25,000. The motor many or many not be worth anything, but assume it is not worth anything now.

There are multiple people who are looking for C Dory 22’s on this forum. Don’t pay for an Boat Trader ad. Forget about Pop Yachts. Don’t use a broker.

Get an album form the administrator, and post a number of photos of the boat as it is right now. Did the mechanic do a compression test or “leak Down’ test? Has the thermostat been looked at? This is an easy access point to check for corrosion (if the motor was run in salt water and not flushed properly after each use.

How many hours on the engine? ‘

Do not use an orbital sander on the boat. Any sanding is with wet and dry paper, start with about 1000 grit, and work up to 1500 and then 2000 grit. Then go with what ever compounding material you have. A cheap Harbor Freight 7” buffer is OK—but it will bog down as you put pressure on it. A good buffer is in the $200 to 300 range—and not worth your buying at this point.

Because you are on the East Coast, a sale will be slower. But someone will buy the boat if it is priced correctly.

Put the ad up here, with photos and see what happens. Alternately there are a number of C Brats fairly close to you, and one might give you an assessment of what they think about the boat.
Griswold

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: LUCIDITY
Photos: LUCIDITY
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Selling advice… Reply with quote

As a fairly new owner of a 22 cruiser, I looked for a long time and found mine here on c-brats. I jumped on it quick and payed 23 for it. 1988 dory, scratched and dinged but solid foundation. The Yamaha 90 has 700 hours and runs excellent, trailer fell apart but the boats what I wanted, everything in my opinion was a bonus or minor cost or work. It’s hard to find a 22 on the west coast under 35,000. Only seen two and I bought one of the two. You will sell easy,people cross states or the country for a c-dory.
kaelc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend you list it for 29,500 on Facebook, c-brats and Craigslist. There is also a 2000 person facebook group that I administer. You can post it there, lots of people looking.

You got the engine running which is great. Anyone buying a used boat of that quality and size should expect to do work at that price. It should sell within a week. Don’t question the motor any more. Just say you got it tuned up and on x date and it cost X.

If you want more money then go ahead and ask for more, say 34,500, it might just take a few weeks or a month to sell when the weather warms up.
kaelc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend you list it for 29,500 on Facebook, c-brats and Craigslist. There is also a 2000 person facebook group that I administer. You can post it there, lots of people looking.

You got the engine running which is great. Anyone buying a used boat of that quality and size should expect to do work at that price. It should sell within a week. Don’t question the motor any more. Just say you got it tuned up and on x date and it cost X.

If you want more money then go ahead and ask for more, say 34,500, it might just take a few weeks or a month to sell when the weather warms up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: