The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Trim Tabs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rick krahn

City/Region: Camas
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Trim Tabs Reply with quote

I'm buying a new 22' Cruiser and have been seeing differing opinions about trim tabs. I've never owned a boat with trim tabs and don't recall being in a situation where the bow height could not be fine tuned by simply raising or lowering the outboard a bit or adding/subtracting some weight from the V-berth area. One opinion I'm getting is that trim tabs are a must have and that I should order them preinstalled from the factory. The other opinion is that the factory installed tabs are oversized for the boat making them overly sensitive and that they will interfere with my 8hp kicker, requiring an extended bracket that wouldn't be comfortable for hand steering. This person recommended adding smaller trim tabs later if desired. Can someone shed some light on this for me so I can properly spec out my build order? Thanks
RogerJuntunen

City/Region: Rupert, ID
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: In Cahoots - Idaho
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: trim tabs Reply with quote

I would not own a C-Dory without trim tabs. I have owned a 22 and now a 25
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the trim tabs can be used to help get the bow down, their purpose is to trim the boat laterally. You'll find with the 22 that it'll list to one side or the other from unequal weight distribution, or even walking side to side. OTOH, a permatrim will noticeably help in getting the bow down. (The boats ride bow high.) Colby
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't mention whether your boat will have a single engine or twins. I found that with two engines, each with a Permatrim, I did not need trim tabs for either stern lift (bow down) help or for port/starboard trim.

I always did as much as I could to trim the boat with weight distribution. Trying to overcome improper loading with trim tabs (or Permatrims) is inefficient and potentially dangerous. I also preferred the simplicity of Permatrims as compared to trim tabs - a lot less to maintain or have go wrong. (I obviously wasn't a slave to simplicity, what with the two main engines, and all. Laughing Some of us have obsessions with redundancy to deal with.)

All that said, I think if I had a boat with a single engine, I would definitely get trim tabs. I'm guessing that's likely to be the consensus here. A large contingent would probably recommend both Permatrim and trim tabs. A lot depends on how and where you plan on using the boat.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time I have heard that the factory trim tabs were oversized and would cause sensitivity. I do believe that the boats run the best with both trim tabs and a permatrim on the outboard. (Exception would be the twins.)

Get the factory trim tabs.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four years of operating without trim tabs or Permatrim on our 23 Venture and no problems. This is a personal choice. We have our kicker motor mounted directly on the transom next to the main because of no trim tabs.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a 22 Cruiser with twin 40 Yami's and it also has trim tabs, and for my money (No I didn't buy the trim tabs they were already there,) I thing the tabs are too small. I don't know if it was a factory job or the dealer, Outboard Power Boats near Sacramento, but I recently emptied the water tank and took a couple of 5 G buckets of "Stuff" off the boat. After that, I notice it did list to the starboard side, correctable with the tabs engaged, but I normally do like Bill says, Trim by moving weight to the right spots. IF you are deploying tabs you are adding drag, decreasing fuel efficiency.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
I run a 22 Cruiser with twin 40 Yami's and it also has trim tabs, and for my money (No I didn't buy the trim tabs they were already there,) I thing the tabs are too small. I don't know if it was a factory job or the dealer, Outboard Power Boats near Sacramento, but I recently emptied the water tank and took a couple of 5 G buckets of "Stuff" off the boat. After that, I notice it did list to the starboard side, correctable with the tabs engaged, but I normally do like Bill says, Trim by moving weight to the right spots. IF you are deploying tabs you are adding drag, decreasing fuel efficiency.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

My '08 cruiser has the batteries in the starboard lazarette, the galley cabinet (and main storage), and the helm position all on the starboard side of the boat. This produces a definite list to the boat when in operation (using the fuel from the starboard tank first can help for awhile). Trim tabs are almost required to get a level ride.

Moving the batteries to the port lazarette would help balance the weight of the operator when operating, but this it probably more trouble than it is worth.
rick krahn

City/Region: Camas
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Trim Tabs Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback. I've decided to get the factory installed trim tabs. So much for trying to keep the costs down.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Trim Tabs Reply with quote

rick krahn wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback. I've decided to get the factory installed trim tabs. So much for trying to keep the costs down.

It would be worth it to know what size those "Factory" Trim Tabs are. I would be looking for 144 Square inches at least. (Yes --- SIZE matters)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: