View previous topic :: View next topic  
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of them around. The only thing I have heard, besides how good they are, is because of the closed chambered design they feel pretty small on the inside and don't have tons of storage.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have driven and fished out of a 2400 XL stabicraft and driven on of the open 28 ACB's. All I can say is that I have never drove a better handling softer riding boat in my life. It may look like its crashing hard in to waves like the rest of them but the landings are so soft and non jarring its amazing when you com from a flat bottom 27 cdory. Fast , economical, turns on a dime at full speed if you need that sort of thing. When Susan was driving the open boat she was warned to brace her self for the full speed turn that she was about to do and she still nearly threw her self out of the boat. Sales man had to grab her. The boat does not slide in a full speed turn at 40 knots. It just changes ends like its on rails. very impressive but not very usefull when fishing.
The down side in the amount of room in the boat because of the design of the hull that provided the great performance. The cabin is not as wide as you would like in a boat that size. If I was looking for a 18 to 24 ft day fishing, crabbing or rough water commuter the stabicraft line of boats would be my only choice. But it not a cruising boat that I would want. I just wish they would make a 10 ft wide one. That would rock. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=stabicraft+2500+ultracab+xl

bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Exactly my experience also! Reply with quote

Apart from riding on rails and not pounding, the wide side decks with toe under kick on the cockpit base means no need for handrails and you are super well secure in the boat. For cranking up a halibut, you can really use the extra height if you are careful with the rod against metal. It is a a bit tough to boat a big fish but for me, not an issue, just have your mate give a hand. Also, if set up Aussie style with a drum winch, pulling your anchor using a ball and ring is super easy. They build some of them with foam filled chambers, verdict is out on that one but using multiple air chambers on each side works great. Fuel tanks in the belly of the boat, auto flooding fish well in the bow, offset helm plus two or three mounted chairs, bait cutting table forward of the single engine or in-between twins, and stern doors to get to the Armstrong style bracket. Ideal would be the 15, a 17-19 day model and a 24-28 for overnighters. Take care. See ya.
Bob Jarrard
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
I just wish they would make a 10 ft wide one. That would rock. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=stabicraft+2500+ultracab+xl

Boats like what you describe are made, and here in the PNW USA. We've had these types of boats around for quite some time, including by the company Aluminum Chambered Boats. Check out the current Passagemaker, which describes the Life Proof 35 Full Cabin.

https://www.lifeproofboats.com/pleasure-craft

...starting at $399K.

Note that mpg is not discussed in the article, but the company site says 1.2-1.3 mpg typical. The 33' full-cabin has a 10 ft beam, and is nicely appointed. Like mentioned by this poster, interior room is small for the boat size on all of these types of boats, which are specifically designed to handle rough conditions that I wouldn't go out in on purpose but might encounter by accident.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACB is the boat we drove and susan dam near went out of. They did not to my knowledge make a 10 ft wide boat. I looked at them for years including some of there 30 fts and the cabins where just not roomy enough. I wish they were big enough. The lifeproof boats are not a fair comparison. Bigger wider and far bigger motors. they may look similar but are not even comparable. the owner of "pingo" bought a stabi craft as his fishing boat / commuter boat to his cabin. I got to fish on it and was amazed how nice the ride was. For a day boat that is trailable it would be my only choice. I cant remember what his mpg was but it was over 5. Now thats a day boat with in closed cabin. More comparable to a hewes craft or a alumaweld. better fuel economy and a far far better ride.
westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have, pretty extensively. Almost upgraded to one earlier this year. We currently own a Stabicraft 2050 Supercab, which we use for transport between Skyline and our outer island Summer home in the SJI. Our boat is incredibly seaworthy and very economical but lacks a solid back bulkhead and sufficient seating for our purposes. Admiral wants me to get us a Ranger 25, which is very much the opposite of the Stabicraft.

The 2500 ultracab XL ticks all the boxes save for the “cute” box. It’s a form which takes some getting used to, especially the roofline. Admiral thinks it’s
“ugly as hell “.

In general I can confirm that Stabicraft boats are expertly and robustly built, are very well designed, are continuously upgraded, use high quality components (much more so than Hewes, Raider, alumaweld, etc), and are built in a Southern Ocean seaport to handle Southern Ocean seas.

They also tend to be utilitarian, oriented towards fishing, and have relatively spartan appointments. Of the Stabicraft line, the 2500 XL is the most user-friendly in terms of interior design and appointments including diesel heaters, stove (a Wallas-yuck!), sink, flushing head, etc. It has an extremely flexible and versatile interior setup, and still retains the Stabicraft ruggedness. Best power is twin 150’s, which would be awesome for our own use profile
(occasional Westport tuna trips, frequent foul weather runs).

We purchased our boat, and I would highly recommend, Boat Country in Everett. They have been wonderful, including providing reasonably priced maintenance services. Good luck obtaining one, however. They are hard to find and sell immediately.

Hope this helps!

Mike
Mike_b

City/Region: Rogue Valley
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westward wrote:
I have, pretty extensively. Almost upgraded to one earlier this year. We currently own a Stabicraft 2050 Supercab, which we use for transport between Skyline and our outer island Summer home in the SJI. Our boat is incredibly seaworthy and very economical but lacks a solid back bulkhead and sufficient seating for our purposes. Admiral wants me to get us a Ranger 25, which is very much the opposite of the Stabicraft.

The 2500 ultracab XL ticks all the boxes save for the “cute” box. It’s a form which takes some getting used to, especially the roofline. Admiral thinks it’s
“ugly as hell “.

In general I can confirm that Stabicraft boats are expertly and robustly built, are very well designed, are continuously upgraded, use high quality components (much more so than Hewes, Raider, alumaweld, etc), and are built in a Southern Ocean seaport to handle Southern Ocean seas.

They also tend to be utilitarian, oriented towards fishing, and have relatively spartan appointments. Of the Stabicraft line, the 2500 XL is the most user-friendly in terms of interior design and appointments including diesel heaters, stove (a Wallas-yuck!), sink, flushing head, etc. It has an extremely flexible and versatile interior setup, and still retains the Stabicraft ruggedness. Best power is twin 150’s, which would be awesome for our own use profile
(occasional Westport tuna trips, frequent foul weather runs).

We purchased our boat, and I would highly recommend, Boat Country in Everett. They have been wonderful, including providing reasonably priced maintenance services. Good luck obtaining one, however. They are hard to find and sell immediately.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Thanks for your input!
Tenacious C

City/Region: Haines
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Tenacious C
Photos: Tenacious C
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've gone from the c22 to a Stabi 2500ucxl with the galley option this year and while we liked the 22, the stabi is working out great for us. We've suffered from 2'itis for some time, but were reluctant to give up the fuel economy and simplicity of the c dory. We average 2.75mpg on longer trips and have a much wider window of conditions we can travel in. It's got great storage ,with a fish box in the cockpit and underfloor storage in the center of the cabin, no stringers or foam under the floor to worry about. Also, it doesn't seem as noisy as some alloy boats, likely because of the the chambers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: