Winter bilge area

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Winter bilge area Reply with quote

Question, I haven't owned a CD25' yet and noticed my bilge holds the holding tank. I use my boat throughout the year and don't winterize the boat. What have you done to better prepare for freezing weather? My plan, empty the tank put in some antifreeze when not actively used. Run my battleborns in heat mode as they sit on the stern. Most of the hull of the bilge is below the water line so I am not too concerned about it freezing. Thoughts?

Salon will have a small electric heater set just above 40. Cabinets opened when not in use. Small dehumidifier running 24/7. Done anything else?
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living here in the Midwest, I do have to winterize my trailered boat. I pump the pink RV antifreeze through the potable water system, and sink and shower drains. I don't worry about the bilge pumps, but I do insure the bilge is dry and the boat is stored bow high with a full cover on it. If you are concerned about your waste holding tank, after you pump it out, you could dump a gallon or two of the pink RV antifreeze in it, or just use some of the windshield washer antifreeze fluid in it. When I head out in late February to head south for the Hontoon gathering, I start my Webasto heater before loading the boat up, and leave it running until I get farther south in warmer weather. However, since the water tank is in the bilge, I'll wait until I'm in warmer weather before filling it. Unless you keep perishable goods on the boat that can't freeze, you probably don't even need to run a heater in the boat. Just keep your battery charger plugged in and turned on to keep your batteries up. I do run a small cheap dehumidifier (just a small fan with a small heating element) to help with our humidity here. Colby
bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is in the water year round. Temps on the river rarely drop cooler then the high 30s
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grab your pink anti freeze now. There is an alleged nationwide shortage. I just paid $6 for a gallon at Wallyworld. In past years it was $2.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought 5 gallons a month or so ago at Menards for about $2.50/gal. As usual, I forgot about the other 6 gals I already still had in my shed... Guess I'm good for a couple of winterizations! Colby
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel spoiled here in the Pacific NW Wink Smile .

It can get cold here....even down into the low teens occasionally, but never for more than a few days (with some notable exceptions). All I do is put a 1500 watt green house heater (with an integral blower) on the sole inside the boat, open all the cabinets etc. I plug the heater into a high quality, reliable digital thermostat set to cut in at 35° and cut out at 37°. On those rare occasions of teens for multiple days, I watch it like a hawk, otherwise, no muss, no fuss. Wink (Costs me about a buck a day for 2 months or so.)

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh that "Pink stuff". For my 22 I use 3 gallons, and each year I buy one new gallon to replace what I term as weakened due to the mix with the water I cannot get out of the tank. The boat is stored inside a garage with 2 dehumidifier/heaters that run if the temp is below 39F.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had a water system in my 22 I used cheap vodka instead of the pink stuff. That way if there is any left in the system in the spring you can still drink it. Not so with the pink stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: