View previous topic :: View next topic  
daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Tideminders Reply with quote

After worrying about my docklines everytime the wind picks up or the moon is full I decided to follow a neighbor's lead and invest in tideminders.

Our C-Dory Navire is in a slip at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds marina at the northern end of the Chesapeake Bay, where tides rise and fall an average of 3', and heavy rainfall can cause the Susquehanna damns to release further raising the water level. The marina is also exposed to wakes and winds from the North through East.

Every time I go to the marina, I notice either wear on the pilings (which are new) or the lines. I spent hours getting the lines just right to accommodate the tides, but there was no practical way to ensure the lines didn't slide down or ride up and get caught (and yes, I tried doubling up on the clove hitch, etc).

After talking to a neighbor who choose not to pull his boat out before the last TS, I gulped and bought three sets of Tideminders (yeah, not cheap).

But -- these things are heavy duty. I read the instructions, watched the YT video, and tied up the boat as instructed. After checking and re-checking a few times (pulling various lines, seeing how far the boat traveled before being caught, etc) we left with a clear conscience.

I plan to head down Monday and check things out, but I definitely feel more confident in the slip now.

I will also remember to take pictures next time!
daninPA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s a short video that shows how the Tideminders work in choppy conditions. Our marina is completely exposed to the NW through ESE.

https://youtu.be/UrUCv8_oxZc

We get 3’ tide swings here, so the Tideminders also help with that twice-daily adjustment.

We had a real test a couple weeks ago when our area received 3” of rain in less than 12 hours. Tide was artificially high with runoff from the Susquehanna, but the C-Dory was floating like a cork, centered in the slip.
gstraub

City/Region: Callao
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: EnDoryFun
Photos: EnDoryFun
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been using Tide Minders for our sailboat for years with no issues. We get a lot of wakes where we are tied up, and the lines just slide up and down. They are great.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered what happened to Loren's C-dory project! That boat was stored near our house when we lived in Savannah, and he would check out our 22' for ideas and measurements.

Really cool boat with some neat custom features. Personally, I like the no stripe it makes it unique.

Ive never used this type of mooring in my life. It makes me nervous. Id probably rather anchor out and paddle in since I don't know what Im doing Shocked

daninPA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulNBriannaLynn wrote:
I wondered what happened to Loren's C-dory project! That boat was stored near our house when we lived in Savannah, and he would check out our 22' for ideas and measurements.

Really cool boat with some neat custom features. Personally, I like the no stripe it makes it unique.

Ive never used this type of mooring in my life. It makes me nervous. Id probably rather anchor out and paddle in since I don't know what Im doing Shocked

Well, I think Loren's project is in good hands! We have really enjoyed it. We took it up to the St Lawrence in June for a week, then have kept it at APG most of the summer in a slip (although the algae growth is horrendous. But, at least the Bay is fresh water that far north).

I wasn't put off at all by any of the customizations. While a table would be nice, we haven't missed it. The A/C came in handy a few times. The radar has been a novelty so far. The stereo is awesome! The Garmin, VHF, and dual bilge pumps are nice.

The Yamaha 115 is a great engine and 30 MPH is possible in calm seas. I usually cruise along at 12-15 in typical Bay chop.

I added a Permatrim immediately as the boat was stern-heavy. We also had the trailer renewed.

The slip tie-in was a learning process. lots of reading, YT videos, and asking fellow boaters at the marina. It was VERY hard to walk away and leave it the first few times ("Did I leave too much slack? Not enough?")

But the Tideminders really put my mind at ease -- no more worrying that a line would get caught and not let the boat rise with the tide!
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a question. Why are floating docks not used in the south and east. I know small tides but it still seems a good idea. are they that much more to build?
daninPA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
I got a question. Why are floating docks not used in the south and east. I know small tides but it still seems a good idea. are they that much more to build?

There are a few, but cost of installation and maintenance seems to be the key factor. APG marina used to have floating docks but the retrieval and upkeep costs were too high and so the rebuild took the cheapest approach.

The longtime slip holders complained but not much response. It’s a military post, which mostly just means bureaucracy and lowest bid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: