The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

motor not resting on transom?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fender washers are fine for most use cases. Edge cases will always exist.

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting how the simple question of the outboard not resting on top of the transom took on a life of its own Smile
Tug

City/Region: Sault Ste. Marie
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Drifter
Photos: Drifter
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Suzuki 90 HP sits on top of my transom and every other boat that I owned did the same. To my way of thinking if the motor doesn't sit on the transom there's something wrong. I may be wrong but he only way this might happen is that the motor installer is using the same holes from a different brand of motor or the installer is putting a type 25" Long Shaft " on the transom where only a 20 " is required. I have only seen this once and it was the dealer that did the exact thing. The dealer had talked the boater into installing a 25" instead of a 20 " because the dealer didn't have a 20 inch.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tug, if that were true, how does one adjust the height of the outboard? I believe the cavitation plate on planing boats should be level with the bottom of the boat. I suspect different motors have different dimensions, just as different transoms would. Depending on where you use your boat, different heights may be preferred on the outboard. TO that end, I've never had a motor that sat right flush on top the transom. Colby
san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1990
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2 to what Colby just said.
digger

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 22 angler had the 90 honda setting on the transom. Then I checked alignment of the cavitation plate with the boat bottom. It was setting at least 2 bolt holes too low (1 1/2”) on the transom. When I raised it 2 holes it was closer to level with boat bottom. It also performed better. Just saying! Don’t confuse setting on the top of the transom with being mounted at the correct height. Study what experts say, and listen to experience individuals that many times more knowledge than some of the motor mounting folks have. By the way, most engines have standard patterns for the mounting bolts - that doesn’t imply that boat hull bottoms and transom heights are constant, nor do all 20” boat motors have same cavitation plate location relative to the transom bracket yoke.
Tug

City/Region: Sault Ste. Marie
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 1985
Vessel Name: Drifter
Photos: Drifter
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Suzuki 90 HP sits on the transom and the cavitation plate is level with the bottom. I just checked, the top bolt is in the top hole of the top four hole pattern and the bottom bolt is in the top hole of the bottom four bolt pattern. Bolt hole patterns are not standard for all motors. I have exchanged motors on various boats and new holes sometimes had to be drilled , every one sat on the transom and the cavitation plate was in the correct place. It's not that I disagree with you and the *group opinion* is usually right but I only once I have seen a boat will the motor not sitting on the transom. I have not seen the bolt patterns on newer motors , maybe there are fewer holes for adjusting the motor height but one would expect a 20 " motor would fit on a 20 " transom with the cavitation plate in the right location.
san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1990
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digger is 110% correct !
Just because it is called a " Long Shaft " motor does Not mean it will measure 20" to the cavitation plate.

If you were to tape measure the different manufacturers, you would get all different numbers from the tape measure.

Look at what is important; Where is the cavitation plate relative to the bottom of the keel line.

Most boat shops mount them to low ( customer does not know any better ) because they don't want to spend the time getting the mounting to the ideal running height. Mounted low it will run, mounted to high it will blow out ( but 9 out of 10 customers have no clue ). So mount it low, and send them on there way.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

croakz,

https://usercompared.com/transom-height-for-outboard-motor

Proper height of the anti-ventilization plate in relation to the water that flows under it is critical for performance. Our motor mount has about 1 inch of space between the motor mount and the top surface of the transom.

Hopefully the information in the above link will help with the concern you have with your install. Your install may be perfectly fine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: