The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Ice coolers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big dave

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Raven Dancer
Photos: Raven Dancer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Ice coolers Reply with quote

What brand of ice cooler are you folks using for ice retention? Are those 75qt. $500 cooler’s really that much better ?
Right now we’re using a 72qt. Igloo marine cooler (15 years old) and by the fourth day we’re looking for ice.
Not really interested in the battery power cooling systems at all.
Let’s talk about ice coolers.
Thanks Dave
Raven Dancer
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I've found that reliably works for more than four days is to have two coolers. One with ice and food and drink that me and the kids get into multiple times a day, and one with just ice that we open only when we need some ice to re-supply the food and drink cooler. Of course, block ice lasts longer.

I DO have one of those expensive coolers (I use it as my "ice-only cooler") but really, I think that any decent cooler will do the trick. I think that if your opening and closing a cooler many, many times a day (like we do when we are boating and camping), no cooler is going to keep ice for a week.

Also, do you know the trick to start with a cold cooler? You can melt a lot of ice getting a cooler cold enough to keep ice unmelted for an extended period.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iam cheap so would not spend 600 on a cooler. We were always looking for ice on our longer fishing trips. Well Susan got tired of that and spent god knows how much for a high end cooler. Big heavy and thick walled. Works great . keeps ice for 5 days and I do not mean you are down to some ice at day 5. You have most of your ice at day 5 and your fish are dam near frozen. This year I am going to stop using just ice and start freezing water jugs for the ice cooler.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
..... no cooler is going to keep ice for a week

My $600 120 quart Yeti does.....if properly managed. It transformed how we cruise. There are Chinese knock-offs for the Yeti too, at half the price, and I'd bet they do pretty well too. BTW, these heavy duty coolers make a great seat in the cockpit since they are virtually indestructible.

P.S. I freeze 4 one liter plastic jugs in the freezer (jugs are medical grade, I found re-purposed ones just split as the water freezes). They just fit, lining the bottom lying on their side. I add a bag of party ice too for drinks. The party ice is gone in a week, but there is still some ice in the jugs.

Last edited by smckean (Tosca) on Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here Is a good comparison.

This study is pretty much in line with what we have found thru the years. We do have one of the root molded thick insulation double gaskets coolers. They do the best job. Yeti is probably the top of the line. But there are some that are very close and a little less expensive.

Many of us have gone to the "Battery powered cooling systems" which are really very good, and there are some which cost less than a good ice chest. Also the cooler can be smaller, since there is no demand for lots of space to put that fast melting ice in.

There is another factor--and those who live and boat in the PNW may not realize, but many parts of the US (and World ) are tropical, and the ambient temperatures may be in the 90 to 100* vs and 60's of PNW. Also there is the "quality of the ice". This is how the ice is formed--are the blocks frozen in molds and solid, or are they made of crushed ice which is compressed into blocks. There is a significant difference in the time the lice lasts.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use a Pelican cooler I bought like 10 years ago. It hold ice like nobody's business, but it's bulky. The outside dimensions are much larger than the interior. For that reason I don't recommend it. Ive abused it and busted the latches off. replacement parts were cheap from their website. Good company, just not much capacity for the size of it IMO.

Soon, when I finally replace this Pelican, I'll probably buy an RTIC. Basically an almost exact copy of the Yeti for a lot less. Yeti even sued RTIC for copyright infringement which was settled out of court.

None of them will hold ice for a week where I live like they claim, but if I can get a full weekend out of it without buying ice Im good with it.

Last edited by PaulNBriannaLynn on Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
....those who live and boat in the PNW may not realize....

The OP lives in the PNW.....so the comments apply to him.
johnr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smckean (Tosca) wrote:
Quote:
..... no cooler is going to keep ice for a week

My $600 120 quart Yeti does.....if properly managed. It transformed how we cruise. There are Chinese knock-offs for the Yeti too, at half the price, and I'd bet they do pretty well too.

P.S. I freeze 4 one liter plastic jugs in the freezer (jugs are medical grade, I found re-purposed ones just split as the water freezes). They just fit, lining the bottom lying on their side. I add a bag of party ice too for drinks. The party ice is gone in a week, but there is still some ice in the jugs.

I feel that you improperly quoted me there, cutting off the caveat. I can tell you right now that 12 year old kids going in and out of a cooler all day and night for food and drinks do not "properly manage" a cooler. It's a miracle if they close it on occasion.
johnr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smckean (Tosca) wrote:
Quote:

Camping/Gunkholing in Shallow Bay on Sucia Island in July and August...you can melt some ice. It's warm and the sun is not all the interested in setting.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smckean (Tosca) wrote:
Quote:

Yes, my point.
forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have and Rtic and two Yeti. They keep ice in them over twice as long as a regular cooler. Bought the Rtic first and found out it was made in China and not Texas. Bought the two Yeti after finding out they were made in America. Buy American in you can. China doesn't have America's interest at heart.

Last edited by forrest on Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnr wrote:
I feel that you improperly quoted me there, cutting off the caveat.

You're right! Sorry about that. You prefaced the part I quoted with:

Quote:
I think that if your opening and closing a cooler many, many times a day....

The thought "...I get a week of ice..." just popped into my head. I replied without thinking Embarassed. Mea Culpa.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forrest wrote:
I have and Rtic and two Yeti. They keep ice in them over twice as long as a regular cooler. Bought the Rtic first and found out it was made in China and not Texas. Bought the two Yeti after finding out they were made in America. Buy American in you can. China doesn't have America's interest at heart.

I agree with you and don't mind spending more for products manufactured in the USA. I don't even buy a pair of shoes anymore unless its made in the US. Unfortunately for Yeti, most of their products are made in the Phillipines and China. They've used clever marketing and omitted origin stickers on their products to try and gloss over their overseas manufacturing. We have some Yeti products, and my favorite is their stainless steel 12 oz. soda can koozie. It will hold a beer cold for hours in the Florida heat, which is pretty remarkable. They make a great product and certainly are at a price point that American manufacturing seems possible. They're higher priced than their competitors which actually are made in the US. Laughing
NWcamper

C-Dory Year: 1997
Vessel Name: Cielo
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two 20-qt RTIC coolers. I find that the smaller space leads to better efficiency and the weight is more manageable compared to a 40 to 45-qt. This allows me to take one ashore in the tender or move them around in the cockpit for use as seats. I added snap on cushions for this purpose and they work out great!
bshillam

C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pelican. Good solid value.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: