The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Damaged flywheel/generator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Wolfe

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Damaged flywheel/generator Reply with quote

On my last outing (3 days)I heard a clicking noise that only lasted a couple, few second, happen 2-3 times on the return trip while accelerating from a slow speed (below hull speed), but mostly run great for the 60 miles return trip. Once back home, I flush the engines and heard the clicking again, after investigating i find a broken magnet under the flywheel.

Is this a common problem? The flywheel look to be in great shape, can it be rebuilt?

I did order a new one for the modest sum of $400, so if I can have it rebuilt for...a lot less, that will be tempting in the event the other one fail.
Thanks

I have a picture in my album but even thought I've done it before, I can't figured out how its done.

sparkle; Ericson 25 CB 2008-2012
Sculpin; Drascombe Drifter 2005-2008
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not very common. It happens more often with old snow machines and four wheelers. I personally think vibration and heat is the cause and I'm pretty sure I'd go new. $400 bucks isn't that bad in boat bucks.
clayhubler

City/Region: La Center
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Hammerhead
Photos: Hammerhead
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened to me also, last summer. In my case, the broken piece wedged itself between the flywheel and the stator (if that is the right name). The motor locked up and I thought the thing had seized and was done for. I got a used one from sportcraft for $120, and it has been good for about 75 hours so far. Sportcraft is one of the oldest honda dealers and the guy there said it is pretty common. There are pics in my album under "broken stuff" subalbum.
C-Wolfe

City/Region: Anchorage
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clayhubler wrote:
This happened to me also, last summer. In my case, the broken piece wedged itself between the flywheel and the stator (if that is the right name). The motor locked up and I thought the thing had seized and was done for. I got a used one from sportcraft for $120, and it has been good for about 75 hours so far. Sportcraft is one of the oldest honda dealers and the guy there said it is pretty common. There are pics in my album under "broken stuff" subalbum.

This make me feel better that I order a new one, I'm not sure I would be able to find used here anyway. There is a couple scratch on the stator but it appear to be working fine until we get back. I will know better once i receive the new part.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Wolfe wrote:
clayhubler wrote:

This make me feel better that I order a new one, I'm not sure I would be able to find used here anyway. There is a couple scratch on the stator but it appear to be working fine until we get back. I will know better once i receive the new part.

Where we boat new is good.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:

Where we boat new is good.

Under statement!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: