The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Recommendation on GPS Fish Finder & Radar for a 25’ C -D

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lou

City/Region: Philadelphia
State or Province: PA
Photos: Lou
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Recommendation on GPS Fish Finder & Radar for a 25’ C -D Reply with quote

Looking for recommendations on a GPS/fishfinder and a radar system package that will go good with my 25’ C Dory cruiser. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated looking to upgrade the current system I have now. And also looking for something with recommendation on radar. Does anybody know if there is a combo package that comes with GPS/fishfinder/radar
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the major manufacturers of the electronics that you have interest in are well made, reliable and competitive, in their pricing. If I was in your shoes, I'd make a trip to Annapolis for the upcoming boat show. All of the vendors of these products will be there, with a display, that will allow your to touch and feel the gear, up close and personal. On top of that, most will offer discounts, for the boat show. Wiring between systems is now dirt simple, as the modern gear uses NEMA 2000, with is a plug and play wiring system.
I have Garmin on my power and sailboat. I do like other's systems, but I an familiar with Garmin and find it user friendly (for me).

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou,

You must keep your current display, and the same brands, if you want to add radar, sonar, CHIRP, FLIR or any other ‘visual’ signals to your MFD on a marine ‘network’ which N2K2000 will not handle. That will require the proprietary marine ‘network’ plugs

So what is your current display, and how much do you want to keep it?

I’m a Garmin guy (intuitive out of the box), and ONLY a Garmin GPSMAP model (but any modern model of that) will handle all Garmin ‘visual’ products like CHIRP, SONAR, RADAR, FLIR, CAMERAS, etc with a Garmin marine Network connector.

Best of luck on your search!

John

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good advice--I also suggest you go to an electronics or West Marine store, and play with the various displays to see what you want.

All of the manufactures have digital/sold state radar. It is great for close up work (which is what most of us want). The power is far less than a magnetron unit. For Garmin it will be the Fantom,(some displays work with the Fantom and some with the HD --magnatron) Ray Marine it is the Quantum 2 plus, The boat I own (ed) came with a fairly new RayMarine MFD, and I added a Quantum radar plus a bundled 7" MFD (all touch) for a little over $2,000, including Navionics charts, wireless radar, (also wireless to I pad from MFD) and down scan chirp, sonar. The other screen already aboard was another 9" which was hybrid, touch screen plus knobs and buttons. (When you are in rough weather, the touch screen is sometimes difficult to use). Also you may want to consider an auto pilot. Raymarine has the cheapest good pilot. Garmin has several, as does the Lowrance/Simrad/B & G line. I agree that Garmin is the easiest to use. They also have purchased Navionics, which many feel is the best charts. Garmin is adding these to their MFD. The 4th is Furuno. I had all Furuno gear for my long range cruising sailboats. It is top of the line but was more geared for the commercial user until relatively recently--they also have a digital radar, with excellent MFD and sounders.

Also consider if you want AIS. If so consider the B + which is closer to the commercial A than the recreational "B". Many of the radios will also read AIS or can send the info to a screen. I had used an out of date 5" MFD for just the AIS read out--that way you don't clutter up the main navigation charts.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Lots of good advice--I also suggest you go to an electronics or West Marine store, and play with the various displays to see what you want. ...

You need to go to a big West Marine store to see a selection of plotters. The examples on display at the smaller WM stores can be quite limited. Often there is a better selection of marine electronics at Bass Pro (Outdoor World) stores.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: