The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Auto Pilot Components and Installation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DutchCs

City/Region: WAUSAU
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Aeolus
Photos: Aeolus
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Auto Pilot Components and Installation Reply with quote

We're planning to install an autopilot in our Cruiser 22 for tolling and cruising in the Apostle Islands and western Lake Superior. We have twin Mercury 40hp Bigfoots and currently telex cable steering. We're installing a NMEA 2000 network and SeaStar Hydraulic Steering as the first steps this year and the autopilot after that.
Any suggestions on where to mount the future autopilot pump so we can design the steering hose layout to accommodate it in the future?
It looks like a single cylinder is adequate for the twin 40s, any thoughts if 2 cylinders are preferred?
Any guidance on autopilots / system components is appreciated.

Aeolus 2005 CD 22 cruiser
Twin 40 Merc Bigfoots
Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Auto Pilots & Hydraulic Steering Reply with quote

Randy, I have had occasion to install several "Wagner" steering/auto pilot systems in past years. They made some high quality equipment that was commercial grade but were not competitive which caused the business to fail. However there are still parts and complete units available at places like: http://www.marine-plus.com/wagner/wagner.html Since all Wagner equipment is rebuildable and parts still available, it might be worth the trouble to locate what you need online. Good luck....
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree with my good friend Barry. At one time Wagner made great hydraulics...but down the line the auto pilot went to .... I had one which was a constant repair problem, and parts became impossible to get. There was even a situation where they agreed that the board was bad (my 4th trip to their facility in BC) and then took the good board out and but my old board back in...!

I would be looking at the Simrad #1. Next either Ray Marine or Garmin, depending on what other instruments you have. These are modern, they are much better than the older Wagner, and parts are available. The Wagner would require a rudder feedback, which is a real problem on outboards. None of the new ones do. They are much simpler and work right along with your GPS.

As to the pump--either on the back of the bulkhead, or under the seat. They will be noisy. Good on the Sea Star--even though the Baystar will do, I believe the Baystar to be better. I personally would go with one cyl, and link--but some may say two cyl.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's located under the helm seat. I have the Ray Marine, and wish I would have gone with the more expensive Garmin. I have Garmin Chart plotters, and the Ray marine doesn't communicate real well with them. Also, I have the smaller Ray Marine, and it doesn't do a great job while going slow or in any kind of chop/waves. Colby
Pedromo

City/Region: Oxnard
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: C-Casa
Photos: C-Casa
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recommendation is to get a unit that matches the chart plotter, just like Bob suggested. In my boat I have a Raymarine instruments coupled to the Baystar system. The pump is located in the starboard lazzarete, next to one of the batteries, because I wanted the shortest possible distance for the electrical connections, as well as short hydraulic fluid travel from the pump to the ram. The system is about 5 years old and has approximately 400 hours of use, without any faults.
DutchCs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your thoughts, much appreciated. We have a Garmin 740S chartplotter so it sounds like a Garmin AP would be a good way to go. As for AP pump loction the starboard lazarette sounds like a good location.
We'll let you know how it goes.
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Garmin pump is under the captains chair. When you change you steering to hydraulic buy you hoses in lengths and put couplers in them where you plan to put the pump. The hoses have to be bought in pairs and can’t be cut and new ends put on. This is my fifth autopilot and by far the best one I have owned. It might have cost a little more but is worth every penny. It will troll over the same path time after time very accurate.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DutchCs wrote:
As for AP pump loction the starboard lazarette sounds like a good location.
We'll let you know how it goes.

Be sure that the lids to the Lazarettes have been changed out to the Imtra which don 't leak--looking at the photo of your boat, I think that has been done--they will not be flush. The original ones leak.
DutchCs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good catch, lazarette covers are original ones, we've sealed the edges of balsa inside the opening and drilled/filled the cover holes, new watertight covers are on our project list.
Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Auto Pilots Reply with quote

Randy, Here is some additional information that should be of value to your new C-Dory project. On the home page, click each of the various "subjects" on the left side column and drop down pages of additional information will appear.
http://www.autonav.com/html/anav4006.htm
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto pilot is the next upgrade we are considering for Lochsa, our 22’ cruiser. We have a 2021 Honda BF90, Baystar hydraulic steering and a Garmin 740s chart plotter. i also have the NMEA 2000 connected between the motor and chart plotter. Because all the other components are Garmin I’m considering the Garmin Reactor 40 unit. The Reactor 40 description says it is comparable with the Garmin 7000 series chart plotter. Is the 740s a 7000 series chart plotter? Bottom line is I want the autopilot to follow the auto guidance feature in the chart plotter.

Am I thinking right is keeping everything Garmin for compatibility issues? Anyone recommend something different? Anyone else have an auto pilot with the same motor, chart plotter and Baystar steering set up? Thanks in advance. Ken
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your Garmin chartplotter will do fine with the Garmin Autopilot. I've got the reactor 40 with the smart pump. I had it in Midnight Flyer and moved it to C-Traveler. In both boats I mounted the main heading sensor or compass under the dash entering into the V-Berth. On the 22 I mounted the smart pump under the V-Berth bunk on the front of the helm bulkhead, and on the 25 I placed it under the sink on the front of the head bulkhead. I mounted the control screen on the front helm just to the left and below the steering wheel. On the 22, I tee'd the smart pump into the back of the helm. On the 25, since I also have the cockpit helm, I tee'd into the hydraulic lines under the sink. BTW, I do not think the 740 is a 7000 series chartplotter. However, my AP works with both the GPSMAP 541 and the 840. (I think the 740 is the same as the 840, but with an inch smaller screen.) My steering hydraulic system in both boats was the SeaStar system. Merc 115 on the 22, Yamaha 150 on the 25. Colby
wa500

City/Region: seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Horse
Photos: C-Horse
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
I think your Garmin chartplotter will do fine with the Garmin Autopilot. I've got the reactor 40 with the smart pump. I had it in Midnight Flyer and moved it to C-Traveler. In both boats I mounted the main heading sensor or compass under the dash entering into the V-Berth. On the 22 I mounted the smart pump under the V-Berth bunk on the front of the helm bulkhead, and on the 25 I placed it under the sink on the front of the head bulkhead. I mounted the control screen on the front helm just to the left and below the steering wheel. On the 22, I tee'd the smart pump into the back of the helm. On the 25, since I also have the cockpit helm, I tee'd into the hydraulic lines under the sink. BTW, I do not think the 740 is a 7000 series chartplotter. However, my AP works with both the GPSMAP 541 and the 840. (I think the 740 is the same as the 840, but with an inch smaller screen.) My steering hydraulic system in both boats was the SeaStar system. Merc 115 on the 22, Yamaha 150 on the 25. Colby

Was the noise of the pump any issue?
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Was the noise of the pump any issue?

No. Barely even hear it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: