The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Ranger Tug 21ec - My Observation!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdleUp

City/Region: Smith Mountain Lake
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Linda Sue
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjohn71a wrote:
Frob,

I am anchored out on my boat this weekend, and using laptop power to scan posts and post back. I may have missed the exact focus of the recent posts on this thread, BUT the basis of my upset is that there are many differing designs of boats, trucks, motorcycles, etc., and we each choose the one that best fits our needs and want to be happy with that. It is entirely understandable that some ppl do not like the performance of the 21 EC, and if they want to go on an open, generic site to pound home their unhappiness, that is fine. However, it is not polite to go to an owner's group site and launch waves of relentless criticism on those ppl's choices.

As for diesels, I feel I have to respect the owner's manuals of the diesel equipment I own and operate. Perhaps you are such a diesel expert that you can override the manufacturers' instructions, or perhaps you own diesels which can operate indefinitely at idle without negative repercussions. I was upset that, after my note of my small experience with diesels, the remark was posted containing something about blind defense of an inferior design or such.

Example of how this thread may be seen by others, as posted on the Schwinn MoPed owner's group site:

SCHWINN MOPED - MY OPINION!!!!

This weekend I was ready to sign the papers on a new Schwinn Moped and took one out on a test drive. I was AMAZED to discover that the moped would not go over 30 mph!!! What kind of engineering is that?
On top of that, there is not enough room for my cooler, television, and camping gear. Also, with my wife and I both aboard, the moped won't even go it's advertised 30 mph speed.

I think the engineers should have known better than to put such a small motor on that moped. I think they should have put a 75 hp motor on it so we could drive it faster. Also, an extra wheel or two to make it wider would leave more room for my, my passenger, and cargo.

I have owned hundreds of motorcycles, so I know the best design and operation parameters of ALL motorcycles, and anyone who does not agree with me simply does not have even normal mental abilities.

I think owners would be best served with a 200 horsepower engine on these mopeds. You could still drive them at 30mph at idle indefinitely without any harm, nor waste in production/use materials.

Anybody who posts that their owners' manuals warn to avoid prolonged operation at idle speeds are idiots because I know everything and they need to re-write their owners manuals.

Also, I cannot understand how anybody could take offense to my sharing of my irrefutable, all-knowing, ultimate expertitious judgement on how all you lower beings should live their life.

Anonymous...

I'll admit I went around venting my frustrations the wrong way on the forum - if it's any excuse at all, I went up to buy the little tug and after spending some time on her, I let her few negatives get the best of me and vented my frustration on the forum. I knew at the get-go she would only do 10 knots so that was not a major problem, but I did have serious reservations about the cabin, unlike most of the users here - the 21 was going to be a work boat for me and the cramped quarters would have been a serious drawback.

On a positive side - they did have a R25 parked next to her and my wife could not hardly get me out of the boat. Right now I'm just trying to ingest the $150K!

Again my apologizes to the board and it's users!

by the way - concerning the Moped - the 30 mph is a state to state speed limit regulation to make it legal (in some states) to operate without a license & insurance. However in most cases you can remove the baffles in the exhaust and obtain up to 45 mph on some scooter/mopeds.

My Other Hobbies:
www.rotory.com - www.bigpickup.com

Frob

City/Region: Hudson River
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Barnacle
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had not taken offense to any posts about my tug we know it well and are very pleased with our toy boat, and enjoy chatting good or bad about the tugs. As a matter of fact for us it had surpassed what we thought it would be, we love the tug.

We do not want to offend anyone and are going to put this interesting thread to rest as it is going far off topic for us and seems to be getting a bit hostile for our taste. Us new yorkers tend to grow a thicker skin than most and at times enjoy a good arguement and can go a bit to far for most. So again this one is going to bed for us, thanks for the laughs I found it most humorous Laughing

Just wondering drjohn...Are you a real MD or do you just play one on the site ?

BTW ,if anyone would like to discuss motorcycles I would be glad to respond to a pm . I have raced street , moto-x, super-x , and was at the motard track this morning for practice for the race on sunday , besides boats anything on two wheels has been a hobby of mine for over twenty years now racing.

have a happy, Frob
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh the fun I have been missing while on the road. ....and folks ain't even iced in yet.

Had a great day on a R-21-EC down in FL with Marc from Wefings one day...it was a slow day, but a great day. The boat is....well, it is what it is...and that is it. If ya like it cool. It is a sweet boat for what it is...and I am a bit larger than some small people so fitting me and Marc in the cabin took a bit of timing....but, if ya wanta have fun on the waters...ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Great day as I recall...but slow...and that was fine..we knew the boat we were on...

My regret, is simply that time/travel...or more directly, my choices of how I spent my time, prevented me from getting up in the NW with my young, a bit over 80 friend Dusty, who has a ....to word it as my TX C-Brat friend might (tell the Blond and the cat I said Hey!!).... Dusty would be described as a man with a small hat....and many cattle. Well... I never made it up there to enjoy one of those days pulling shrimp on his 21. But there is hope...he is working on a CD-22A classic.

Yall go get out on your boats. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to see ya back, Pat. That 21ec just ain't designed for the Byrdguy I know Wink -- but with your soon-to-be swelt figure you'll probably fit.

Come up when you can -- the BBQ joint guys say they miss you -- and Dusty does. My pinhead takes a small hat, but the danged white still shows around the edges. Thumbs Down

Duster

IdleUp

City/Region: Smith Mountain Lake
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Linda Sue
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a final note to this thread I started - I thought I'd mention that I did end up buying a Ranger 25 instead of the R-21 -I'm really enjoying the boat - I love everything but the payments! Laughing

Again my apologies if I offended any R21 owners with my blabbering - I still think the R21 is one off the neatest looking boats out there!
Two Happy

City/Region: Bothell
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ranger Tug 21ec - My Observation! Reply with quote

I spent over a week cooking daily our 21 EC in the galley! Your comments are observational based on no experience actually boating any time in this boat. Husband is 6'3" and 230 pounds and I am 5'6" and 125 lbs and we do great in this boat for days on end sleeping a board and cooking meals. We did cut the helm seat down by four inches to make it more comfortable. The seat over the galley is awesome. The boat handles rough water and has never failed us. The cockpit is amazing and the only reason we don't go with a larger boat up to 25 feet is because we simply cannot find a cockpit that allows for so much leisure space. Both of us can be on the back bench enjoying the views with our legs up and a cold drink on our table. Guests can sit on the motor bench comfortably and do. We've had six on for dinner with no issues. We boat to be in nature and the 21 EC affords us that. While we can get her to 7 knots easily we prefer to cruise at 5-6. If we needed higher speeds we would have a different boat. The enclosed cockpit gives us lots of comfort, including heat or sun protection while underway if we both want to be inside. We've looked into C-Dory 22 only to see about getting grandchildren accommodation and just can't stomach the closed off v-berth and lack of cockpit. We might consider a used 23 Venture eventually if they are made without any wood in the hull because it looks like the entire cockpit could accommodate some modular seating arrangements. We looked at a 21" Marinaut- again, small cockpit. I think the comments are way off base. Small boats are not for anyone or everyone but they do serve a purpose and for us, this boat is amazing. We even think we can solve the grandchildren sleeping arrangements by using the floor area with air mattress and sleeping bags or building a table extension. Still working on that. Do agree that a seven for width would have been a good plan however I am sure that didn't happen for good reason. We don't have a 25' Ranger tugs because we don't want to deal with all the complexities of that boat and the 23' has planing hull that does it's best at 18-22 knots- just not our preferred cruising speed. Also what we want from a boat depends on lifestyle wants. Dead simple maintenance is critical to us at this period before retirement. Compared to a larger boat- sure there are challenges because you do have to move things to get at things. However for dead simple, reliable, overall comfortable, economical and able to allow for onboard toilet, sink, refrigerator. sleeping and cooking it is a jewel. And it goes 60-70 miles an hour up the road so we can haul it to lots of different waterways. Super convenient and easy to launch- a real jewel.
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ranger Tug 21ec - My Observation! Reply with quote

Two Happy wrote:
I spent over a week cooking daily our 21 EC in the galley! Your comments are observational based on no experience actually boating any time in this boat. Husband is 6'3" and 230 pounds and I am 5'6" and 125 lbs and we do great in this boat for days on end sleeping a board and cooking meals. We did cut the helm seat down by four inches to make it more comfortable. The seat over the galley is awesome. The boat handles rough water and has never failed us. The cockpit is amazing and the only reason we don't go with a larger boat up to 25 feet is because we simply cannot find a cockpit that allows for so much leisure space. Both of us can be on the back bench enjoying the views with our legs up and a cold drink on our table. Guests can sit on the motor bench comfortably and do. We've had six on for dinner with no issues. We boat to be in nature and the 21 EC affords us that. While we can get her to 7 knots easily we prefer to cruise at 5-6. If we needed higher speeds we would have a different boat. The enclosed cockpit gives us lots of comfort, including heat or sun protection while underway if we both want to be inside. We've looked into C-Dory 22 only to see about getting grandchildren accommodation and just can't stomach the closed off v-berth and lack of cockpit. We might consider a used 23 Venture eventually if they are made without any wood in the hull because it looks like the entire cockpit could accommodate some modular seating arrangements. We looked at a 21" Marinaut- again, small cockpit. I think the comments are way off base. Small boats are not for anyone or everyone but they do serve a purpose and for us, this boat is amazing. We even think we can solve the grandchildren sleeping arrangements by using the floor area with air mattress and sleeping bags or building a table extension. Still working on that. Do agree that a seven for width would have been a good plan however I am sure that didn't happen for good reason. We don't have a 25' Ranger tugs because we don't want to deal with all the complexities of that boat and the 23' has planing hull that does it's best at 18-22 knots- just not our preferred cruising speed. Also what we want from a boat depends on lifestyle wants. Dead simple maintenance is critical to us at this period before retirement. Compared to a larger boat- sure there are challenges because you do have to move things to get at things. However for dead simple, reliable, overall comfortable, economical and able to allow for onboard toilet, sink, refrigerator. sleeping and cooking it is a jewel. And it goes 60-70 miles an hour up the road so we can haul it to lots of different waterways. Super convenient and easy to launch- a real jewel.

You make some good points, even if it did take you thirteen years to respond.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ranger Tug 21ec - My Observation! Reply with quote

johnr wrote:
You make some good points, even if it did take you thirteen years to respond.

Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: