The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Logistics of Truck Camper/Boat Combo
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
san juanderer

City/Region: Stanwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the OP concern is; the camper sliding rearward on a steep ramp.

Mr Jarrad, please provide additional description of the " bed to bed " attachment ?
Thanks
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this mat to prevent the camper from movement in truck bed with extra tie downs not necessary & it’s been tested on some extreme slopes. It also helps protect the bottom of the camper when in the bed.

Jay

bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Info you asked for! Reply with quote

I use a bed liner, it grips like crazy but adds a lot of weight and if water gets under, can start rust. I much prefer Line-X spray in bed liner - the absolute best by my book. Here are some links to other ways to lock in the camper:
Torklift tiedowns and brackets at https://www.torklift.com/rv
Direct to frame by Happijac at https://happijac.com/tie-downs.html
And this page on the Happijac site at https://happijac.com/tie-downs.html
Still looking for a source for the truck bed which bolts to the vertical wall of the bed, not sure why I cannot remember the name but I will stay on the hunt.
Bob
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a mat similar to that one. The camper honestly never even moved while launching the boat - even on the steep as all heck Lake Roosevelt launches in Eastern Washington. And even if it did, that is why you have the turnbuckles. I had a Lance 950 (I think that's the number) for whatever that is worth....good package with a diesel F350 but I rarely took the camper off to camp - I never really did get why people did that really.
PNW_Wesley

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Zenith
Photos: Zenith
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to all who responded with your experience with this combo.

With regard to my concern about the camper sliding aft while on the ramp, I have a thick rubber bed mat similar to Jay and others. This, along with the Torklift FastGuns, should keep the baby in the cradle.

With regard to my concern about the camper’s weight on a steep and slippery slope, I concur with those who note that the camper will potentially increase traction, though there could be times when conditions would warrant not launching with the camper on. On any ramp, I always engage 4wd prior to pulling the boat out of the water.

As many of you noted, the camper is not likely to get wet. The Torklift extension will extend the hitch ball beyond the camper, plus a few inches.

Karen and I have been RV’ing for many years. With the travel trailer unhitched, we are free to make side trips, sometimes hundreds of miles. Lifting the Lance off while in camp will let us roam free.

Here is our present rig in the Mojave desert.

I am eager to get the camper, and “hope” that Lance can deliver it in November. My dealer has confirmed that I am on their build schedule. I will post some photos of the rig with Zenith in tow.

This combo opens up possibilities to join other Brats in places like Yellowstone, Bear Lake, Snake River, etc.

We boated for 17 years on the upper Mississippi, and our first long trip with the camper/boat combo will be to Wisconsin in the spring. Fingers crossed.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the Lance quite a bit. But, my wife was not in love with it because of the shower/toilet wet bath combo - hence the motorhome now. Other than that though, she was fine with it. I liked the 11-12 mpg the diesel truck and camper got pulling the CD 22 in comparison of the 8 or so mpg the motorhome gets...whatever.....it's only money. I think you'll like your new set-up.
CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2015 GMC HD Duramax with a 1993 Kodiak camper and launch often with the whole "fun train" as my wife calls it.

The only problem I have is the anchor on the boat will rub against the ladder on the back of the camper if I cut the angle a little too much when reversing.

Chris

lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worried about problems that probably won't surface. I towed a 22 with a 3/4 ton ram diesel and carried a 4000 pound northern lite. Had a 42" stinger with the super hitch and never had a problem over 12 years. Try it and the first time you will see you have nothing to worry about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: