View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wood Zeppelin

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Creature
Photos: Childhood Dream
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Bilge Pump for 16' Reply with quote

My 16' Cruiser didn't come with a bilge pump. What is a quick easy recommendation?

I trailer it 90% of the time. But if it's ever moored at a marina overnight and it rains... AM I IN TROUBLE!?

Also - can they be mounted without screwing into the floor? (4200?)

Current boats:

1997 22' Angler - "C-Creature"
1988 16' Angler - "E-fishn-C" (Project boat)
1997 16' Cruiser - "Wet-a-Net"

Also:
14.5' Drift Boat - "Wood Zeppelin"
Wood Zeppelin

C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Creature
Photos: Childhood Dream
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:24 am    Post subject: Where do I find a Bilge Pump for a 16'? Reply with quote

Anyone know where I find a bilge pump for my 16' Cruiser?

Don't know why it doesn't have one. Shouldn't they all have one?
JT

City/Region: JUNEAU
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Lil Toot
Photos: Palomino
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mounted a thin piece of plastic cutting board material using 5200 and weighted it down. Then screwed the base of the pump to it after it was set.
Bought an Amarine pump and an on, off manual switch for it. Roughed up the fiberglass with sandpaper before setting the 5200. Worked out fine.
ggray

City/Region: SE Virginia
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Red Top
Photos: Red Top
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can just mount a pump and the float switch, or a combined unit, to a piece of plywood and run the hose out over the transom. Use it just when in the situation you stated.
When we bought our 22 Cruiser last summer, she went straight into the water at our dock. I was concerned about the bilge pump ...which I had to rewire to get working. Eventually installed a second pump, but in the meantime I stuck in my emergency pump from the sailboat, which is just a described
Marco Flamingo

C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Seaflow 2000 gph bilge pump (about $50). The original was smaller and had been screwed down into the little depression by the drain plug. That area is solid glass and didn't cause any rot problems (unlike gas tanks etc.). When I installed the new bilge pump, I upgraded the hose to smooth wall, which is more rigid (and more efficient). The bend in the hose actually holds it in place so I didn't bother with screws or other caulking to hold it in place. I also changed to a high tech "water witch" float switch that could turn the pump on at a lower water level.

Even with the new switch, the water in the 16 can be a half inch deep in the cockpit (when not underway) before the bilge pump activates. I put in some rubber workshop matting that makes it possible to get up in the morning and walk into the cockpit in stocking feet. Another decadent addition to my mini-cruiser.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Capn Jack

City/Region: La Conner
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Pocket Yacht
Photos: Pocket Yacht
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: 16' Bilge pump Reply with quote

I see from your picture that you have an older 16. I have a 1988 that came without a bilge pump. I installed one that has an internal float switch, ( Glued it to the deck, in the sump) then I found out, even when loaded, the low point, (where the water mainly collected), is right in the middle of the cockpit Smile

There has to be quit a bit of water in the boat before the pump will turn on. Then the last gallon, or so has to be mopped up with a towel. Sad

Pictures are under "Pocket Yacht"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: