The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Horsepower
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from the Honda twin 40’s to Honda twin 60’s & now on the third season & over 200 hours. I couldn’t be more pleased. They have beat all my expectations. Rarely do more then 20 mph. That extra hp is used mainly for a much more quiet & efficient ride with the power there when needed.

To me the old not powering up over 115 hp limit was put to rest by the good folks at Sportscraft Marina, the first & now longest serving C-Dory dealership. They had no problem with mounting the Twin 60’s for me or the Suzuki 140 on Jody’s, Voyager.

My thread on why I chose the Honda 60’s & my results thus far.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=27697

Jay

Hunkydory

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clayhubler wrote:
I feel my boat with twin honda 40s is way underpowered. In my opinion, the boat handles best when it is heavily loaded. Less pounding and predictable handling. But with the twin 40s I can barely get on plane with that loadout. Following seas are the worst.

Those of you that run really heavy boats and have twin 40s, what props do you prefer?

During the 17 seasons, I ran with Honda twin 40’s it was with 12 inch x 10 pitch 3 blade stainless New Solas at high elevation Yellowstone Lake & when very heavily loaded at sea level. I would switch to 11.1 x 11 pitch for when lighter at sea level & Lake Powell. With either it was seldom, I could cruise over 17 mph, but realistically as others have stated, conditions usually meant a more comfortable ride at between 13 & 17 mph. I didn’t opt for 120 combined hp, just so I could cruise at 20 mph if wanted, but rather as you stated for boat placement on following seas & lower rpm running for a quieter ride. Also over 80% of our cruising time spent is at displacement speed, so with our 60’s running 15 pitch instead of the 40’s, 10 pitch, we now spend the majority of the time with our motors whisper quiet.

We have spent this summer on Yellowstone Lake & thus far have made 520 miles there running about 85% of the time at displacement speed with combined displacement/on plane of 7 mpg.

Jay
clayhubler

City/Region: La Center
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Hammerhead
Photos: Hammerhead
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody who has given advice on the propellor pitch. I will do some experimenting soon.

Question for Jay:
Do the new 60's use the same mounting holes as the old 40s? From the photos it looks like they do, but I can't see the lower mounting holes.

Thanks!

Hunkydory

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay, yes used same holes.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay is correct on using the same ones - most outboards share a common spacing center and bolt pattern. I won't go as far as putting new outboards on is easy, but it isn't that hard either. By the time you run wires, hoses, and cables, it takes way longer than it should. And for some reason the controls and gauges are stupid expensive. But, it is something people with mechanical aptitude and considerable time can do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: