The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Advice for a small cruiser

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tarka

City/Region: KNOXVILLE
State or Province: TN
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Advice for a small cruiser Reply with quote

I'm new to C-Brats and am enjoying reading about all of the adventures posted here. I don't currently own a C-Dory. I've owned multiple other boats from cabin cruisers to sailboats, so not totally new to boating.

I'm on the lookout for a trailerable cruiser in the 22-26 foot range to do multi-day trips on inland waters. I like the general layout of C-Dory, and like the fact that it's outboard motor vs. inboard. I live in Knoxville, TN and plan to do some Tennessee River system trips.
Looking for suggestions on type of boat to search for. The C-Dory's seem to fit the bill very well, but would like to hear about other brands that are similar that I should check out. I don't see many C-Dory's for sale in this general area.

Question for folks that live in the (hot and humid) southeast: I assume I'd need an air conditioner (and generator) for mid-summer trips. How is the air-flow in the C-Dory if no AC installed?

Thanks for any suggestions.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Advice for a small cruiser Reply with quote

Tarka wrote:
... Question for folks that live in the (hot and humid) southeast: I assume I'd need an air conditioner (and generator) for mid-summer trips. How is the air-flow in the C-Dory if no AC installed? ...

I am based in the Washington DC area so have some experience with hot and humid.

If you get one of the C-Dorys with the opening center window, then the airflow is great when the boat is moving with the center window and the cabin door open. I also may crack open the bow hatch for more airflow, but if you expect water over the deck or a lot of spray it is better to keep this hatch closed while cruising. You only need to open the center window about 1/2 inch or so to get good airflow if you cruise at a reasonable speed (i.e. planing speed).

I have also added opening ports on the sides of the trunk for the berth. This helps a lot with ventilation of the berth area, but don't usually cruise with these open.

If not moving, I have an 12 volt fan that fits in the open center window to provide airflow.

Of course when things get bad, I have a window AC unit that fits in the open center window. This is used when at a slip or anchored for the night. You can't really cruise faster than displacement speed or in rough weather with the window AC in place. I power the window AC with shore power or a Honda 1000 generator that is on the swim step. It is not recommended cruise with the generator on the swim step.

I boat from early April through Thanksgiving. I like the window AC setup because I can configure the boat as need for the expected conditions. I bring the AC or heaters or neither as needed and leave what is not necessary at home. Having an AC unit on the roof that is always there whether you use it or not does not seem like the optimal solution on a small boat. However, some of the roof top AC units can provide heat so maybe there is something to be said about them.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last several years we have done the navigable parts of both the Cumberland and Tennessee rivers. We rarely needed the AC during the day. (only when at dock). The side windows, plus the front give plenty of air flow. At night we use the 5,000 BTU window unit. In our case we have a bag the AC sits in when not in the window--and side it under the center of bunk on the 25. We put handles on the AC unit, and use a block and tackle to pull it up into the shelf. There are wooden runner on the bottom of the AC unit, which help to hold it in the proper place. There is a covering which goes around the sides top and bottom, to keep hot air out. We also put half pool noodles on each side for insulation.

Rain and sun cover over the foredeck:

We put a piece of "Refletec to direct any upward flow of air, back into the cabin.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Tarka

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the information. Looks like good air-flow when underway. Good ideas for small AC window unit for mid-summer. Thanks again.
ssobol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarka wrote:
Thanks so much for the information. Looks like good air-flow when underway. Good ideas for small AC window unit for mid-summer. Thanks again.

Just remember that not all the boats have the opening front center window. Later boats have it, but early boats may not.
daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CD22 we purchased had a new Dometic A/C mounted (the previous owner was in Savannah, GA). I've had it on twice and both times was VERY happy to have it!
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarka,

So you’re looking for an outboard powered 22-26 ft trailerable (anywhere in the continent, 24/7 without a permit from each state you pass through) cruising boat.

We would suggest that your next most important parameter to consider is this:

Will you (and if you have been married for 37 years, your spouse is VERY important in this decision) consider a boat with a Head By The Bed to use every night on a 4-6 week or whatever cruise?

If yes, your choice of outboard trailer boat in the 22-26 foot range is wide open.

If not, your choice of trailer boats in the 22-26 range suddenly becomes MUCH more constrained.

Outboard trailer boats with an enclosed head (and a handheld shower wand) are relatively rare...only 25, 26 and TomCat C-Dorys, 25-27 Ranger Tugs and Cutwaters (I believe that they own this niche in terms of boats sold), a very rare version of the Rosborough 25, and very few if any World Cat, Glacier Bay, Twin Vee and other fishing cats.

I believe the hive can help you more once you make this all-important Head By The Bed decision.

Check out the Ranger/Cutwaters for sale on Tug-Nuts.com and this site for C-Dorys for sale.

Hope this is helpful.

Best of luck in your search!

John

ssobol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gulfcoast john wrote:
... Will you (and if you have been married for 37 years, your spouse is VERY important in this decision) consider a boat with a Head By The Bed to use every night on a 4-6 week or whatever cruise? ...

I have a 22 cruiser. The only time the head is by the bed is when the boat is rigged for trailering. Otherwise the head is in the cockpit or just inside the aft cabin door (at night in cold weather). If necessary, shower curtains or the like can be rigged from the bimini for privacy when the head is in the cockpit.

Further, unless you are going to spend the entire 4-6 weeks anchoring out, there are often plenty of opportunities to use other facilities when you stop to see the sights (e.g. marinas, restaurants, state parks, museums, visitor centers, etc.).
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need air conditioning to use your boat I would suggest moving to a more civilized area of the country. Next your going to tell me you need bug spray to go out side or some other type of hell enviroment??? Just as bad as areas where water freezes for no good reason. You might as well walk on water and cut holes in it just to fish. And Jesus thought he was special..... Nope you need to move, Not here thu , we have enough people....
daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
If you need air conditioning to use your boat I would suggest moving to a more civilized area of the country. Next your going to tell me you need bug spray to go out side or some other type of hell enviroment??? Just as bad as areas where water freezes for no good reason. You might as well walk on water and cut holes in it just to fish. And Jesus thought he was special..... Nope you need to move, Not here thu , we have enough people....

I retired from the Army (armor and infantry)

I don’t have to practice being miserable anymore.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarka,

Although you only have two posts here, you may have already figured out that our friendly C-Brat family can be a bit rowdy and opinionated, including me.

There are 31 flavors for cruising.

My apologies to Sobelle and others that I failed to clarify that my ‘head by the bed’ characterization applied mostly to the World Cat, Glacier Bay, and Twin Vee and competing fishing cats. I should have worded that post better than I did.

However, I stand by my opinion that you and yours must decide on, in general, whether a ‘porta potty’ vs an enclosed ’head’ is right for you.

And also that your decision on a 22-26 foot outboard boat should depend on your decision on that issue.

This is our 13th trailer boat (and likely our last).

I always hope to share what we have learned as we go along, and that is all that I am trying to do here.

Best of luck in your search for the perfect trailer boat for you and yours!

PM me if there is anything I can do to help you out in your search.

John
Tarka

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good information. I'd never heard of a Cutwater before, so that's on the radar now along with others. Thanks for mentioning Tug-nuts.com; I'll be watching that site also.
I understand the issue about an enclosed head vs 'head-by-the-bed'. I've owned both types of boats in the past - largest boat I had was a 35' cruiser with a very complete and posh cabin. I've also captained chartered sailboats in the Caribbean up to 55' - Definitely enjoy the amenities on the larger boats.

The photos and discussion of air conditioning were informative and appreciated - thanks.

At this point, I would prefer the 25-26' range if I can find a used one within a reasonable driving distance. There don't seem to be many for sale in this area, so this search may go on for a while.

Thanks again for all of the input.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: