The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

C-dory 25 or 26 tow weight question.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike_b

City/Region: Rogue Valley
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading all the great reply’s I think if I end up with a C-dory 25 or 26 I would keep my GMC 1500 and see how it goes. For the previous 20 years I pulled triple semi trailers for a living through Oregon, so I’m very familiar with towing trailers. If it turns out my current truck isn’t a good fit for the C-Cory I will buy a different tow vehicle.
Doug & Fran

City/Region: Calgary,
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Squirt Two
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a 2008(?) 25 C-Dory with twin Yamaha 90s, 3 batteries, and the usual electronics etc. etc. etc., on a Road Runner trailer that catalogues at 1500 pounds. The tow vehicle is a 1995 Ford F350 crewcab dually with a 7.3 litre turbo-diesel (and modern half tons probably have more power and towing capability than our old beauty). Pulling over the Rockies (we're in Calgary) definitely puts me in the 18 wheeler slow lane.
Went to a truck scale on the weekend with the truck/C-Dory, then truck alone.
Near as I can figure, the truck is about 6815 pounds (one full tank, one empty) with no one and nothing in it.
The C-Dory (no personal supplies; full fresh water; 70 gallons gasoline, empty holding tank) works out to be 7900 pounds incl trailer.
Rear axle weight went up by 1200 pounds with the C-Dory hooked up, and the front axle down by 20 pounds by unhooking the trailer and my wife and I (about 320 pounds) getting out - so I don't fully understand nor trust my figures here.
So, I'm apparently pulling 7,900 pounds with no personal stuff/supplies aboard, and (apparently) a 1200 pound tongue weight.
None of these figures make me happy as I believe that they exceed what the truck is supposed to be capable of.
The engine doesn't overheat (temperatures were in the high 80s over the various passes), but I'm thinking I'd better find out what I need to add to monitor the automatic transmission.
The current C-Dory web-site advises 3950 pounds for the 25 footer, which is 2400 pounds less than what I've weighed (sans supplies).

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug, see my comments on the previous page. My Cd 25 on trailer weighs around 8100 lbs and I’m pulling with the F150 with the 5.0 l. Pulling over the Rockies last summer, over both I70 and I90, I was able to maintain 60. Truck downshift to 2nd to maintain 65 and I pulled my foot out of it slightly to put a little more space in front of tach red line. I’m surprised your 350 needed to stay in the truck lane. My tongue weight is about 630. Colby
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to be careful about older diesels. I believe the 1995 7.3 liter turbodiesel (when new) produced a little over 200 hp and 400 ftlb torque. It likely doesn't do that any more after a few hundred thousand miles. These engines are legendary in their longevity, but a lot of that had to do with a heavy engine and relatively low compression compared to a modern diesel. My 2014 Dodge 1500 with the small V6 gas engine produces 305 hp and 269 ftlb. The Ford 350 truck starts heavier than the Dodge 1500. This might make the "half-ton" and "full-ton" more similar in towing, at least in terms of ability to pull a trailer that it would at first appear. Newer Ford 350s with modern diesels are in a whole other ballpark in both HP and torque, more than double the 1995, and the new 10 speed transmission should make a difference as well.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug your numbers of trailer weight are what to be expected. All of the "hull weights' are off.

I have the 2019 Ford 250 SD, and the 6.7 L diesel. 450 HP and 935 ft lbs of torque. I have the 6 speed. 10 speed was not available for the 250 at that time. I drove a 150 with the 10 speed, and am not sure it will really make that much difference. The split on the gears is mostly at top end, and using basically overdrives to increase fuel economy (and meet goals).

I have also owned a truck with the 7.3 L. Great engine, but only 250 hp and 505 ft lbs (2003--the last year they were made.). Pretty trouble free engine.

I would try and get the tongue weight down to about 700 # if possible. You may best achieve that by moving the boat back on the trailer. Weight either using bathroom scales and fulcrum, 4:1. Or get a hydraulic hitch weight. $150 for scale, or $125 for a hitch with a built in scale. I used a weight distributing hitch on my first C Dory 25 which I was towing with the 3/4 ton Excursion with the 7.3. That made all right with the world!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding to what Bob said about the tongue weight. That number varies considerably with what you put in/on the boat when it is hooked up. Note where the axles are and then where you put stuff -- STUFF , , , , Like what goes into the V-birth, what's in the chain locker, how big is the anchor, what stores go aboard (are the canned or dry), what is in the storage spaces, or up on the roof, (Kayaks or AC unit or . . . ?) What of all this is in front of the forward axle. Now, what gets loaded that is behind the axles. Fuel, water, coolers, camperback, Main and kicker. What ever goes behind the axle decreases the tongue weight, whatever goes in front, adds to tongue weight.

These things are mostly adjustable, but still, mostly imperative to be along, so we need to watch where they go. Might be easier to leave the coolers, especially if loaded, in the cockpit than take the spare tire off the trailer and put it into the back of the truck -- YES, in front of the axle.

Moving the boat back on the trailer will work, travelling with full tanks will lighten the tongue, but increase the total trailer weight. Its a game we play, and there are rules. Physics always wins.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: