The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Shower for C-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keweenaw2018

City/Region: Upper Peninsula
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Norppa
Photos: Keweenaw2018
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Shower for C-22 Reply with quote

What are some ways people have contrived showers, both hot and cold, aboard 22's? We dive in cold, fresh water and would like a nice way to warm up either from the reservoir or from outboard.

I'd be interested to know what others have tried. It's just about the only thing missing from my 22.

Our current method is to peel off our wetsuits and jump back into the frigid, Lake Superior water; or stand in the splashwell and dump a 5gal bucket over our heads.

Is there a better (maybe even a warmer) way?

-Hunter
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have used "Sun showers" (Solar heated plastic containers--clear on front, black on back. These range in size from 5 gallons (with a foot pump) to 1/2 gallon hand squeeze. nuzzle on the bag.

We have also used garden sprayers-- 2 1/2 gallon size the best.

Standing on swim step is the way we have used them most of the time...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Keweenaw2018

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thataway, did you have a preference of the systems you just listed? When it comes to the solar shower, did you hang it from the bimini?
daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Solar Shower Reply with quote

I've used one of these on long canoe camping trips: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/Seattle-Sports-PVC-Free-Solar-Shower--5-Gallon?ds_e=MICROSOFT&ds_c=Shop%7CGeneric%7CAllProducts%7CHigh%7CSSCCatchAll&gclid=3a334eee50ee1320b9d22e111124dc97&gclsrc=3p.ds&msclkid=3a334eee50ee1320b9d22e111124dc97

I plop the water-filled bag on top of the load in the center and it sits in the sun and warms.

At the end of the day it works fine IF you use the following sequence:
1. Open valve and get wet. Close valve.
2. Apply liquid soap/ shampoo/ whatever. Scrub vigorously in the customary manner.
3. Open valve. Stand under water until soap residue is gone. Close valve

If you use this approach a 5 gallon water bag is good for two adult showers.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We’ve taken lots of showers in the cockpit of our CD22. We stand in a Rubbermade tub to collect the water & when done toss overboard. For privacy in marinas we hang a double set of shower curtains from the cockpit cover supports. On long cruises where rationing water is a priority, we use very little & still do a good clean up. Most often by heating water in a pot on the stove & just use a handled cup to get water on the body. I’ve tried various sprinkler heads & systems with most all using more water then we want to give up at times. For JoLee’s hair washing, she hangs her head over the side & I wash & rinse it with stove heated water.

Jay

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now. I don't swim in salt water Confused seriously allergic to sharks Shocked

I have used a Solar shower, in the cockpit, but I'm with Jay, Don't like to give up that much water so usually use a small bucket with a washrag. Good sloppy wet rag with soap, then a rinse, either with the sloppy set rag, of small cup. For hair, about a cup, hanging (leaning) over the gunnel. Can do a whole bath with a pint of water. Than makes the 2 Tunnie showers feel really plush.

IF I am anchored out, there have been times when I use my inflatable to shower from. It collects rain water, a couple of gallons, and sometimes, if it rains overnight, and is sunny in the morning, I can get a nice hot shower from that. Cool

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keweenaw2018 wrote:
Thataway, did you have a preference of the systems you just listed? When it comes to the solar shower, did you hang it from the bimini?

I probably use the 1/2 gallon hand held solar shower as much as any. The sprayer is great for washing off feet (and dogs)--also brakes on the trailer.

The 5 gallon sits in the splashwell with the pump under foot on the swim step. The normal 1 to 2 gallon Sun showers on top of the Bimini,
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted something more dependable than the solar shower. I bought a rechargeable handheld. Boil a quart of water and pour it into a 2 gallon bucket,
Add cold. Enough for two generous navy showers. I have neoprene kneepads that allow me to take a shower in the cockpit even with other boats around. Doesn't work so good for Beth.

Mine has a suction hook so that it can be operated hands free. After I bought it I saw one that had the electrical shutoff on the shower head (mine's on the pump which is in the bucket). Fumbling to turn off the water can waste precious ounces. It recharges with a USB port. Pictures in my photo album under "Modifications - Enclosed Head."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the 5 gal solar/camp/sun shower bags on both the 22 and 25. On both boats I place the solar shower on the rear end of the roof. I have put longer hoses on the shower bags and installed a shut off valve on that hose. On the 22, I would stand in the cockpit, actually kind of had to kneel to get my upper body wet and just let the water run into the bilge. If we were not in a private spot (no one around), then we would hang some towels along the side and back of the bimini. On the 25, I stand in the head with the shower hose thru the window. (The roof is higher so know need to kneel.) Of course you need a sunny day for the solar bags to heat up. Colby
Keweenaw2018

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, considering all your posts:

for our late and early season when SST on Lake Superior is hardly 50'F I'm leaning toward manually boiling a few liters and using a rechargeable nozzle to hose down directly in the cockpit.
I'm not sure if the solar showers will cut it when the air temp drops into the 40's or even into the low 60'sF

Plus, we do have a dog so the on-demand spray sounds nice.

Does anyone have brand/model recommendations for the rechargeable?
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
I have neoprene kneepads that allow me to take a shower in the cockpit even with other boats around. Doesn't work so good for Beth.

We use a Camping Outdoor Privacy Pop Up Shelter for taking a shower on the deck.
https://sibereon.com/products/camping-outdoor-privacy-pop-up-shelter-shower-toilet-tent
The shelter sets up in seconds and can quickly collapse for storage.

RThorn

City/Region: Olympia
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Shower Reply with quote

Check out the Nemo Helio shower
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: